60D Owners - Overall, are you happy with your camera?

cid

"light is defining shape"
Nov 27, 2012
500px.com
when I was byuing my first dlsr body I was chosing between 600D and 60D. 60D won, it convinced me with ergonomics and build quality (something I could see on first look, because back then I had no idea about AFMA or cross type points)

I was pretty happy with it for two years, it helped me learn a lot and then calling of the FF came and I listened to it.

Upvote 0
wsmith96 said:
My usage would be for children's sports and general vacation type usage. I'm not shooting super models here.

Great camera, esp. at that price, I'm still using it next to my 6d for macro and good light. Once catch though: It doesn't have af micro adjustment (thanks, Canon!), so if esp. you're using fast lenses you need to buy a lens that matches your camera body.

Other than that, the usual "don't shoot >iso800 on crop" applies, so it doesn't matter that the af already stops working @0.5 lv. Last not least, remember the af tracking is mediocre in comparison to the high-fps 7d/70d as the 60d has too few af points and zero firmware customization (thanks, Canon!) - but as single point tracking it works more or less.

Upvote 0
From my personal standpoint, the camera itself is good enough for most situations.

They tend to struggle when pushed to over 1600ISO but thats more a complaint against the older sensor than the camera quality.
Video work it has held its own in most situations again the only real drama is when pushing it in low light situations.

Things that annoy me about my 60D:
The rubber on the camera has all but stretched out of shape and is hanging off in places, this was a known fault and you can get replacement rubber if need be.
The eye piece tends to fling off if you have the camera attached to a sling style strap (Black Rapid) due to the rubbing as you walk sometimes. Again not areal issue but it pays to keep an eye on it or find a third party solution that locks on better.

All round its generally a good camera.

Also if you are planning on manual focusing it pays to change out the focusing screen too, makes things a hell of a lot better than the stock screen.

Upvote 0
For me its a very good camera, i bought it in 2010, since 2013 have error 20 and theres no pattern when appears that error, and its very hard to live in a country who don't have any serious support to digital cameras.
I replace all external rubbers in 2013, and now my 18-135mm don't give sharp images, i'm thinking to replace with 6d, what do you think, it's worth fix the camera?, thanks, greetings from Honduras. God bless you.

Upvote 0

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
inri said:
For me its a very good camera, i bought it in 2010, since 2013 have error 20 and theres no pattern when appears that error, and its very hard to live in a country who don't have any serious support to digital cameras.
I replace all external rubbers in 2013, and now my 18-135mm don't give sharp images, i'm thinking to replace with 6d, what do you think, it's worth fix the camera?, thanks, greetings from Honduras. God bless you.

I'm not sure what the repair cost will be compared to a replacement 60D cost right now. It may not make sense to repair.

Upvote 0
wsmith96 said:
inri said:

I'm not sure what the repair cost will be compared to a replacement 60D cost right now. It may not make sense to repair.

Oka thanks for reply,,,

Upvote 0

tntwit

Enthusiastic Amateur
Mar 3, 2012
WNY
I traded in a T3i and bought a refurbished 60D a few months ago and have been happy so far.

I wanted the 70D or the 6D, but as much as the 70D is nice I couldn't see paying $500 to $600 more for it. I don't think it's that much better and I'd rather put that toward glass.

As for the 6D, we'll I still want that, but I think I'm waiting to see what the next iteration brings.

For the $460 that I paid I couldn't go too far wrong for right now. They were $900 not too long ago. I figure when I'm ready to move on I won't loose much if anything because of how little I paid for it and it was a definite step up from the T3i. I like the ergonomics over the T3i. The battery life is much better and very noticeable. I like having the top LCD. It's easier to change parameters and easier to see where you have settings at a quick glance. The faster burst is a nice bump up and is fast enough to make it useful, but I agree, the timing of the first shot is the most important (and not always easy). I like that I can shoot RAW with a small JPEG, which I could not do with the T3i (you could only do RAW and full size JPEGs). I like the increase in buffer size. It has been sufficient for me so far where the T3i would occasionally fill up and cause a delay.

I'd like to say the autofocus is better, but I never had too much issue with the T3i for how I was using it. What I am finding now, however, is I have started using the back button focus and AI Servo when shooting action. I tend to use single point focus and sometimes the available focus points aren't exactly where you would want them with only 9 to choose from. So from that perspective, sometimes I wish it had a few more points, but in reality it probably has more to do with refining technique than a need for more camera capability.

Upvote 0
I loved it. I can't say anything really bad about it. I knew it would struggle at high iso's when I got it. When I got my 5d mark III I sold my 60d and picked up a 7d. In all honesty, I still like the 60d more than I like the 7d. I was hoping to get a better autofocus and more consistent feel when switching back and forth between cameras. I think the 7d's autofocus is really sketchy. I have more blurry shots with the 7d than I did with the 60d, which kind of surprises me.

Upvote 0
noncho said:
I'm wondering - 70D now or wait for 7D II :)

My estimation is that when (and if :)) the 7d2 is released, it will be double the price of the then-70d tag. Something to think about. Good for me I'm using flash all the time so 8, 14 or 100 fps don't appeal to me anyway :)

On topic: The 60d vs 7d vs 7d1 vs 7d2 really shows again how fast investments in camera bodies fade away, better get good lenses and not the latest camera - imho absolutely nobody will notice the sensor difference 70d vs 60d unless really looking for it.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
The 60D is a very nice camera. It doesn't have the frames per second and buffer of the 7D, but it also doesn't have banding in its sensor. With a speedy card, I can get about 16 to 18 RAW images at top burst. The center point AI servo focus is quite good for birds in flight, but it still can drop focus when panning across a busy background. That's where the more sophisticated focus algorithms of the 7D shine. I haven't checked the 60D shutter count recently - probably only 30,000 to 50,000, I can't remember how many times the numbers have turned over. I bought it in late 2010 and it has been functioning perfectly. I got the 6D about a year ago and the 60D has been partly retired to family occasions (EF-S 15-85mm is a great walk-around lens) and "mostly birding" (400mm f/5.6L) trips. The 6D is for landscape and night/astro work. The 60D was fine, but the 6D is amazing for astro, and there is even an Astronomix clip-in filter system now for the recent Canon FF cameras. I love the tilting main LCD of the 60D, especially nice for use on tripod in awkward positions, eg, macro on ground level. A given object, say, small insect, fills up the screen at 1:1, whereas on FF the insect would be rather small at 1:1. That's the joy of using APS-C format for situations where you need as much magnification as possible, which is macro and long telephoto work.

If I like and buy the as-yet-not-announced "7D2", I may do a full-spectrum conversion on the 60D. The main reasons I am considering the "7D2" are burst rate, larger buffer, better AF than the 60D, which may make a difference for birding but not for other things I shoot.

Helluvah camera for 460 bucks! Have a LOT of fun, and with the money saved consider buying one of the better zooms rather than the kit lens, although even the kit lenses have come a long way since 2010.

Upvote 0
NancyP said:
The center point AI servo focus is quite good for birds in flight, but it still can drop focus when panning across a busy background.

The problem with 60d tracking is the lack of firmware options (thanks, Canon!). The default setting thus is rather "responsive" which does make sense, but it becomes a problem if you track something that moves smoothly like a bird in flight. The instant you cannot hold the single point on the subject, the camera is confused an focuses in the background... so you have to be very careful or lucky with the 60d and such scenes.

Upvote 0
wsmith96 said:
Canon has the 60D refurb on sale again and the price is such that it's calling my name. For those who own this camera, what do you think about it for $460 USD?

My usage would be for children's sports and general vacation type usage. I'm not shooting super models here.

-w

I've owned the 60D since 2012 without any major concerns, although I only have 2 qualms: lack of AFMA and high noise above ISO 800...otherwise a great body I currently own the 6D now but still use the 60D with good results!

Upvote 0