60mm Macro lens equivalent for Full Frame

stevelee said:
That raises a general question for me: Is there somewhere in camera specs or in a discussion here or elsewhere that deals with how different cameras use their sensors or parts thereof to produce video? Are there models that use the whole sensor and scale accordingly and other models that use the exact number of pixels required and ignore the rest of the sensor? And in each case, how does that affect the "equivalent" focal length of the lens? How would each approach affect the quality of the video?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, and would be happy if someone just points me in the direction to find the answer. And the issue is basic to the original question being asked.

I'm not a video person, but the big thing is whether or not the video is captured in 4K. Apparently, the 1DXII only uses part of the sensor for that. The same camera may use the entire sensor for 1080P or other resolutions and frame rates. The 4K video apparently generates a lot more heat and data rates, which is probably why a smaller part of the "full frame" sensor is used.

The 4K "crop mode" is almost equal to APS-C sensor size. Therefore, the same FOV multiplier can be used for back of the napkin discussions.

60mm on APS-C is roughly equal to a 96mm FOV on a full frame camera.

100mm on APS-C is roughly equal to a 160mm FOV on a full frame camera.

That's why the OP is wanting a 60mm macro lens- to equal the 100mm FOV of a 100mm lens on a full frame camera while using the 4K "crop mode" on the 1DXII.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Appreciate the various considerations for crop, but how about we just answer the OP's question at face value? (Perhaps they know exactly what they need and have just asked us for it.)

Is there a 60mm 1:1 EF macro lens? Unless there's a magical 3rd party all manual option I haven't heard of, the answer is no.

The closest options would be (from what I've read on this thread so far):

• One of the many 50mm 1:2 macros with tubes/'life size converter' to get to 1:1
  • The 1:1.4 70mm macro end of the 24-70 f/4L IS.
  • The 1:1 Sigma 70mm f/2.8 macro

Are there any others? Any third party options? Lenses we missed?

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
danski0224 said:
Amazing that there is a Sigma 70mm in Canon mount available new/NOS.

There is a Sigma 50mm macro, too. Appearance wise, it is the same generation as the 70mm.

There is a 62mm Sony E mount macro lens.

That might be the choice for the OP, then, it's a 50 that is 1:1 instead of 1:2...

https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Macro-Cameras-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0002P19PS

Wasn't aware of this one, thanks.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
That might be the choice for the OP, then, it's a 50 that is 1:1 instead of 1:2...

https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Macro-Cameras-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0002P19PS

Wasn't aware of this one, thanks.

- A

If it is comparable to the 70mm macro, then (1) the focus motor is noisy, slow and it isn't USM and (2) the lens is not full time manual focus- no manual adjustments while it is in AF mode.

Optically it is supposed to be excellent.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

danski0224 said:
johnf3f said:
A bit baffled by some of the suggestions here! The OP asked for an equivalent of the 60mm Macro (on APSC) for full frame. Therefore the 90 to 105 mm Macros lenses from Canon/Sigma/Tamron are what they need.

Seems to be a pretty straightforward question: Does anyone know of a good macro lens that would be the equivalent of a 60mm but for full frame? I shoot 4k video with the 1dx2. Which crops the the image about 40% I believe. So my 100mm macro lens is just too tight for alot of my subjects. It used to be fine using the full frame of a 5d, but this crop makes it tough for medium sized subjects.

The OP is looking for a "full frame" macro lens that is less than 100mm.

Ah I see what you are getting at! I don't even know how to turn the video on with my cameras (and have no interest in finding out) so I didn't realise the problem of the cropped video format!

Given the above then there may be a very simple, and cheap, solution for the OP. On a 1DX 1 or 2 the 60mm Macro will vignette and could interfere with the mirror. However if one puts on a short extension tube (12/13mm) then these problems are gone at a 1.3 crop factor. Some time ago, when I had my 1.3 crop Canon 1D4) I borrowed a friends EFS 60mm macro as I was struggling on some flower shots at Singleton Park in Swansea. Basically I didn't have the room for my 100mm! So I just used her lens with my El Cheapo extension tube and everything worked perfectly - nice images too!

The effect of the short extension tube is that it gives clearance for the mirror and widens the image circle of the lens as well as reducing the MFD and maxFD. Therefore a wider area of sensor is covered - not sure if this would work for stills? With the 1.3 crop for 4K it shoud be fine though and these extension tubes are dirt cheap so it would be well worth the OP giving it a go?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-TTL-Auto-Focus-AF-Macro-Extension-Tube-Ring-for-Canon-EOS-EF-EF-S-A0G8-/182708292553?epid=2164170531&hash=item2a8a434bc9:g:R9EAAOSwxxVZiXfU

Having said that I do not know what lenses the OP has.

Upvote 0
The Tamron 60mm f2 Di II LD (IF) Macro Lens, seems to match the requirements perfectly. It was suggested by the first reply, but there still seeems to be confusion caused by the poorly worded question by the OP. My take is that the OP was looking for a 100mm equivalent (i.e. ~60mm on crop frame), despite asking for a "the equivalent of a 60mm".

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Jack Douglas said:
This camera is roughly 1.3 crop and as far as I know every camera shooting video, specs what the crop is or if it crops at all. Just look at the specs of the cameras.

Canons 11 -24 then works out to about 15 - 32 which is still pretty wide, for example.

Jack

I looked at the specs in the 6D2 manual and could find nothing about this. But I did find the following in an article on the camera on the Canon web site:

Full HD and HD (720p) video is recorded using the entire horizontal width of the full-frame sensor. While 16:9 aspect ratio for Full HD or HD defines that some of the top and bottom of the traditional 3:2 sensor be cropped, you do get the full width of the full-frame sensor.

I hadn’t thought through it enough to think about the aspect ratio difference, and the obvious cropping from that. This suggests that it uses the same amount of the sensor as when shooting stills in that format. But the width is not cropped, so an ultra wide lens will still give an ultra wide view, just not as tall.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
stevelee said:
Jack Douglas said:
This camera is roughly 1.3 crop and as far as I know every camera shooting video, specs what the crop is or if it crops at all. Just look at the specs of the cameras.

Canons 11 -24 then works out to about 15 - 32 which is still pretty wide, for example.

Jack

I looked at the specs in the 6D2 manual and could find nothing about this. But I did find the following in an article on the camera on the Canon web site:

Full HD and HD (720p) video is recorded using the entire horizontal width of the full-frame sensor. While 16:9 aspect ratio for Full HD or HD defines that some of the top and bottom of the traditional 3:2 sensor be cropped, you do get the full width of the full-frame sensor.

I hadn’t thought through it enough to think about the aspect ratio difference, and the obvious cropping from that. This suggests that it uses the same amount of the sensor as when shooting stills in that format. But the width is not cropped, so an ultra wide lens will still give an ultra wide view, just not as tall.

I'm certainly not the expert to be talking but it seems the issue is much more prevalent once you hit 4K recording because of data rates that would be gigantic for full frame without serious compression of some sort or restricting the frame size.

Jack

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
johnf3f said:
A bit baffled by some of the suggestions here! The OP asked for an equivalent of the 60mm Macro (on APSC) for full frame. Therefore the 90 to 105 mm Macros lenses from Canon/Sigma/Tamron are what they need.

Go back and read it carefully, its a bit confusing, but he is asking for a ~60mm Macro lens to fit his FF camera. He says the 100mm Macro frames too tight

Upvote 0
The crop factor for the 1DX2 shooting 4k video is just a little more than the crop factor you get with the older Canon 1D APS-H bodies.

To get the equivalent of 100mm you need a lens around the 70mm mark; 60mm will actually frame more like an 85mm equivalent.

There aren't any first-party primes between 60-75mm. The closest you can get in first-party prime lenses would be either a 50mm or 85mm, and use extension tubes for closer focusing. To get that focal length with Canon lenses you have to use a zoom; there are loads which hit that 70mm ballpark.

There are some third-party lenses in that focal range which could be adapted. None are made with the EF mount, as far as I'm aware.

Quite frankly, the 1DX2 for 4k is a bit bizarre. You can get better 4K quality and a wider selection of focal lengths with smaller systems, like Sony's α-series, Fuji's X-T2, and the Panasonic GH5. The Sonys and the GH5 include in-camera stabilisation so you can more easily get smooth video no matter what lens you use; all three have a wide range of lenses available and, due to being smaller mounts (and not a large mount with a digital crop, like the 1DX2) you can adapt nearly anything to work with them. More importantly, they're simply far better for video; the image quality is better and the file sizes are more controlled.

If you're shooting a lot of action stills in harsh environments, and then doing occasional 4k video on the side, then sticking with the 1DX2 makes sense; I'd advise the 24-70 f/4 IS, with its semi-macro mode, as the most sensible option for getting video with the framing you're asking for. Second to that I'd say pair your existing 100mm with a 50mm (with extension tubes for close focusing; the 50mm macro isn't that great to be worth bothering with) for a basic long + normal duo. The 50mm will result in a field of view roughly the same as 70mm in 35mm framing terms, which is long enough to give a flat perspective but is wide enough to frame up to a full-length person quite comfortably, in most spaces. Again, the zoom would really be better.

If you're not shooting winter sports, standing in the middle of a desert dust storm, chasing wildlife halfway up a mountain, or if video is your primary medium, then, quite frankly, just scrap the 1DX2. For the cost of filing out a range of lenses to do video with a 1DX2 with the framing you want, you could get a better-optimised video system.

Lastly, there is one secret weapon which might suit you. The old Canon FD range includes a handful of 55mm f/1.2 variations. FD lenses can't be mounted to EF without losing infinity focus and increasing their macro focus, but since you're asking for macro anyway, that might be fine for you. Since you're shooting video, the lack of autofocus shouldn't be a problem and, as it has its own aperture ring, you can have it de-clicked for video. Add a small extension tube to get true macro. All of the FD 55mm f/1.2s are very soft wide open, of course, but stop them down to f/2.8 and they're good across the field, and that goes doubly so for cropped-in video. If you won't be using it for longer distances (no infinity focus) and you really want the closest thing possible to 60mm (to get a bit-over-80mm equivalent view), those FD 55mms are the nearest thing you can get.
But, again, I must stress that doing something like adapting an old FD lens to a 1DX2 to shoot 4k video, when systems like the GH5 and X-T2 already exist out there doing this natively, is really insanely pointless.

Upvote 0
One thing worth noting when seeking equivalence in macro photography is also magnification with respect to crop factor. If you are really shooting at 1:1 with APS-C, you need actually 1.6:1 on full frame to get the same framing; and for the 1.3 4k crop factor in idX2 you'd need 1.2:1 magnification to get the same frame. Also, doing the videography under water, you'd want to keep the distance to subject short not to lose colour, which makes seeking equivalence even more challenging, as longer focal lengths tend to increase the working distance.

These are more or less theoretical comments on my part, though, as I have not done underwater macro work.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
BurningPlatform said:
These are more or less theoretical comments on my part, though, as I have not done underwater macro work.

+1. That continues to likely be the biggest pain point and not the FL. I'm not an underwater photog at all, but one would think not having things like FTM manual focusing and internal focusing / does not change length would be dealbreakers, and that would further winnow an already short list of lenses.

- A

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
@ aceflibble I understand all your points and they are valid and obviously you're speaking from experience. However, you seem to be suggesting that the actual 4K video of the 1DX2 is somehow inferior and that surprises me and doesn't seem to align with my experience and what I've read. However, I'm far from being an expert.

Jack

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Jack Douglas said:
I'm certainly not the expert to be talking but it seems the issue is much more prevalent once you hit 4K recording because of data rates that would be gigantic for full frame without serious compression of some sort or restricting the frame size.

Jack

I think I understand now, and your post and another were helpful toward that.

I think at the current state of things, if I really needed to shoot actual 4K video, I wouldn’t be using a DSLR.

Shooting just for funsies, though, if I had a DSLR that shot 4K, I would compare the quality of the 4K and 1080p under the shooting conditions and use whichever better suited my purposes at the time.

It is far from obvious to me that 4K shot with a portion of a sensor would be superior to 1080p shot with the full width of the sensor, or if so, at least enough to bother with it very often.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
stevelee said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

I think I understand now, and your post and another were helpful toward that.

I think at the current state of things, if I really needed to shoot actual 4K video, I wouldn’t be using a DSLR.

Shooting just for funsies, though, if I had a DSLR that shot 4K, I would compare the quality of the 4K and 1080p under the shooting conditions and use whichever better suited my purposes at the time.

It is far from obvious to me that 4K shot with a portion of a sensor would be superior to 1080p shot with the full width of the sensor, or if so, at least enough to bother with it very often.

It's easy to overlook the value to a nature nut of the ability to shoot a few seconds of high quality video in 4k with its 60 fps and being able to extract pretty decent stills as well as having really great slow motion. Watch a nature production and ask yourself how long the individual clips are. A few seconds of Mjpg is large but manageable. This can be exploited, for example, when acquiring bird landing shots if you know their favorite perches. Although I haven't done too much seriously with this yet it's whetted my appetite. Making the 1DX2 video capability sound like it's borderline useless is a mistake. And remember, crop cameras are often praised for their "reach". Ever heard folk asking for another 1D4? ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Jack Douglas said:
It's easy to overlook the value to a nature nut of the ability to shoot a few seconds of high quality video in 4k with its 60 fps and being able to extract pretty decent stills as well as having really great slow motion. Watch a nature production and ask yourself how long the individual clips are. A few seconds of Mjpg is large but manageable. This can be exploited, for example, when acquiring bird landing shots if you know their favorite perches. Although I haven't done too much seriously with this yet it's whetted my appetite. Making the 1DX2 video capability sound like it's borderline useless is a mistake. And remember, crop cameras are often praised for their "reach". Ever heard folk asking for another 1D4? ;)

Jack

I certainly didn’t mean to imply anything about 4K implementation on the 1DX2 as crap. I’ve never shot anything with that camera and have no hope of ever owning one (or really, any need for one). I was speaking in general, and meant an empirical approach choosing between my available options, as I do now.

I think your example is one where I would choose 4K 60p, too. I don’t often photograph birds. I do enjoy watching them. My deck and the floor level of my house are 20 or so feet above ground level at the back, and there are woods that start just beyond the deck. The family room has three large windows looking out the back. Birds hang out on my deck rail and in the woods. The woman next door has a variety of bird feeders, but they are so far below my deck level that I can’t see them from the house. I take my few bird pictures through the widows, since going out on the deck makes them fly away. When it snows, there seem to be a lot of cardinals, and I take some shots of them.

It occurs to me that with wifi and the Canon app, I ought to be able to set up a tripod on the deck and control the 6D2 or the G7X II from the iPad indoors, once I’ve framed and focused on one of the feeders. That might be worth a try to see whether I can make it work.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Mt Spokane Photography said:
johnf3f said:

Go back and read it carefully, its a bit confusing, but he is asking for a ~60mm Macro lens to fit his FF camera. He says the 100mm Macro frames too tight

English is not my native language, but in my understanding "too tight" means the distance between the lens and whatever he's shooting is too short. In this case I'm not sure if decreasing the focal length will actually help. A 180mm macro would be the best option IMHO. If "too tight" means a narrow viewing angle, then yes... The widest macro as far as I remember is made by Laowa: https://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-15mm-f/

Upvote 0