6D Top Focus Point Light Bleeding Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
skitron said:
I never really noticed anything for the short while I had a 6D but I immediately noticed this 5D3 flashes a dim red in the entire viewfinder from the reflections when it confirms in low light. Kinda pointless to make an issue out of it since it doesn't affect anything picture wise.

This actually bugs me more than the 6D reflection since it is infinitely more distracting, there's no way to work around it and still have the red AF pt confirmation flash. Annoying but not the end of the world. I just can't stop thinking the same thing every time I AF the 5D3... all previous older tech cameras didn't do this but now a newest high tech $3K body does. Cue the slight disappointment each time. Waaah. Good thing I like cheese to go with my whine. :p

Upvote 0
M

mirth

Canon 6D Lightleak?

When the top center autofocus point on my 6D is lit up I have a red dot directly above that focus point. It's 2-3 times as large as the rectangular autofocus point.

Does anyone else have this?

Is this a light leak issue? As far as I can tell the camera is exposing properly, at least it's not wildly off and Canon claims they haven't heard of this yet.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
TrumpetPower! said:
What I want to know is when Canon will start to properly support the needs of its most critical photographers: those who specialize in unfocussed low-light extreme macro shots of the back sides of lens caps. Clearly, this is a market segment that simply will not go ignored!

b&
I don´t want support. I just wanted to show that in the dark my 350D also shows this, but why should I use the 350 for low light, so it is not that important. I am able to see it up to a quit bright light level but it is not really a "Problem"
I just see this Tread checked my cameras and noticed it ;)

And for the 7D I see those other markings in my 15s ISO100 F1:2,8 shot and wanted to share it ;)
( I never really noticed it before on the 7D. Most of the time it is just a short red flash )

Upvote 0

eyeland

Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
Feb 28, 2012
Denmark/Isreal
RustyTheGeek said:
skitron said:
I never really noticed anything for the short while I had a 6D but I immediately noticed this 5D3 flashes a dim red in the entire viewfinder from the reflections when it confirms in low light. Kinda pointless to make an issue out of it since it doesn't affect anything picture wise.

This actually bugs me more than the 6D reflection since it is infinitely more distracting, there's no way to work around it and still have the red AF pt confirmation flash. Annoying but not the end of the world. I just can't stop thinking the same thing every time I AF the 5D3... all previous older tech cameras didn't do this but now a newest high tech $3K body does. Cue the slight disappointment each time. Waaah. Good thing I like cheese to go with my whine. :p
+1
Only played around with 6D in daylight, but picked up a friends 5D3 a few days ago at night and I found the leak (or whatever it is) quite distracting. I never noticed anything similar on my old 350D, whereas my 60D would exhibit an issue similar to the 6D in very low light.
It's kind of a non-issue in general of course, and just one of those un-avoidable things that one gets used to after a while.

Upvote 0
604FF said:
Hi all 6D owners,

I just noticed that when the top focus point is lit, there is some very noticeable light bleeding around that focus point. I wonder if any of your 6D has the same issue.

Thanks.

The 5DII also does this and the issue was slapped around on the forums a bit a few years ago. It never caused any real problems.

Upvote 0
TrumpetPower! said:
What I want to know is when Canon will start to properly support the needs of its most critical photographers: those who specialize in unfocussed low-light extreme macro shots of the back sides of lens caps. Clearly, this is a market segment that simply will not go ignored!

b&
And here it is!
a low-light extreme macro shot of the back side of a Lens Cap.

I am so so sorry it is in focus ;) :D

Attachments

• poiolc.jpg
    poiolc.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 1,215
Upvote 0
Timothy_Bruce said:
TrumpetPower! said:

b&
And here it is!
a low-light extreme macro shot of the back side of a Lens Cap.

I am so so sorry it is in focus ;) :D

I got you beat...in this case, the lens cap is actually properly attached to the lens.

Bonus points for identifying the lens....

b&

Attachments

• _06C9331.jpg
    _06C9331.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,354
Upvote 0
Timothy_Bruce said:
is it a crop from the 15mm fisheye ?

Very close! No crop -- that's the full frame from the 8-15, shot at 15mm and minimum focus distance. ISO 12,800, f/4, 30 seconds.

What do you think I have used ?

My first guess was the 50 compact macro, but that takes an E-52 lens cap. My next guess was the MP-E 65, but that also takes an E-52. I don't think it's the 180 macro, which would leave either one of the 100s or that EF-S macro.

At my shot the lens cap is clicked in into two lines of the filter thread. So I think it also counts as attached or not ?

Hmmm...I thought the whole point of these lens caps shots was to demonstrate inferior engineering as evidenced by light leaks. No fair if you're the one introducing the leak!

b&

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.