70-200 2.8L IS - making noises when IS on

My 70-200 IS (mark I) has started making lightly funny noises with the IS on. Like a sort of moving part and then clicking into place noise. Everything still works fine but I'm concerned there could be trouble on the horizon. With the IS disabled the noise obviously isn't there. Is this a common issue anyone else has had? I bought it right when they came out and have probably taken 30,000 pictures with it.

meanstreak said:
My 70-200 IS (mark I) has started making lightly funny noises with the IS on. Like a sort of moving part and then clicking into place noise. Everything still works fine but I'm concerned there could be trouble on the horizon. With the IS disabled the noise obviously isn't there. Is this a common issue anyone else has had? I bought it right when they came out and have probably taken 30,000 pictures with it.

That's the IS working. It's normal to hear a whirring and then a light clunk sound.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Does the noise continue all the time? When you first press the shutter halfway to actuate the IS, it will make a noise and a click as it locks on, but then it should not keep making noise.

No, it seems to behave exactly like you are describing, slight "whirring" sound and then a fairly soft "thunk" at lock on and no more sounds after that. I normally shoot sports and live music so it's typically very noisy when I shoot. I noticed this sound when getting some shots at a high school musical. In between lines it was extremely quiet compared to my normal shoots and I noticed it then.

Anyway thanks for the input guys, appreciate it!

Upvote 0