$749 24-105mm f/4L IS USM on eBay (BigValueInc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xtaski

I'm not sure what happened to the post on the $750 24-105mm L IS USM, but I bought one and it shipped immediately showing up at my door 2 days after. The seller was BigValueInc and there was some debate as to whether the lenses were really new, whether they were a Canon retailer and if the lens was under USA warranty. They are not a Canon Authorized retailer (there's a PDF if you google it and they're not on it).

The box came and it was a white box with no warranty card though the lens appeared brand new. It came with the lens pouch, the front/end caps and lens hood as you would expect. I emailed them and asked about the white box and missing warranty card and they sent me the reply below. I also did go to Canon's website and started a warranty claim and they show it as under warranty (I canceled the claim before submitting final).

This is there explanation...

Thank you for your email. I am very sorry for any confusion this may have caused. This item was removed from a kit box that included the body of the camera. To sell this item at the price we do, we put the lens in a separate box and sold the item. It is brand new and never been used. This item is covered under US warranty and you can register the item by the Serial number. If you would like to return the item, I can set that up for you as well.

Thank you

Mari
Support
BigValueInc
800-319-8258

Mar 25, 2011
Lots of sellers separate them from the kits, thats why they are cheap. However, the kits have two warranty cards, one for the lens and one for the camera. They just did not bother to put the card with the lens.
If you need warranty service, the card is worthless. Canon wants to see the sales receipt from a authorized reseller. In the US, they have not been hard nosed about this, but with profits in free fall, they just might refuse warranty repairs.

Upvote 0
Yes you do lose the automatic warrantee but these guys seem like a quality outfit. They didn't feed you a load of crap about where the lens came from and offered you a return. You don't get 99% positive feedback from people on eBay if you're dishonest with them. Since the new pricing structure canon implemented we're all going to have to get comfortable with grey market good if you want to save a little $$$

Upvote 0
G

Greg_M

xtaski said:
I'm not sure what happened to the post on the $750 24-105mm L IS USM, but I bought one and it shipped immediately showing up at my door 2 days after. The seller was BigValueInc and there was some debate as to whether the lenses were really new, whether they were a Canon retailer and if the lens was under USA warranty. They are not a Canon Authorized retailer (there's a PDF if you google it and they're not on it).

The box came and it was a white box with no warranty card though the lens appeared brand new. It came with the lens pouch, the front/end caps and lens hood as you would expect. I emailed them and asked about the white box and missing warranty card and they sent me the reply below. I also did go to Canon's website and started a warranty claim and they show it as under warranty (I canceled the claim before submitting final).

This is there explanation...

Thank you for your email. I am very sorry for any confusion this may have caused. This item was removed from a kit box that included the body of the camera. To sell this item at the price we do, we put the lens in a separate box and sold the item. It is brand new and never been used. This item is covered under US warranty and you can register the item by the Serial number. If you would like to return the item, I can set that up for you as well.

Thank you

Mari
Support
BigValueInc
800-319-8258

Mine is supposed to be here on Thursday.
How is the quality and your other concerns?

Are you happy with everything other than the warranty card?

Upvote 0
I purchased one from the recent sale as well, November 7th, and it has arrived, although I haven't seen it as I'm travelling. However the listing did state that these lenses were part of a kit and they had seperated them out to sell separately.

Cut and pasted from the ebay listing:
"These are lenses that were originally packaged with Canon Camera Kits. We sold the Canon Cameras in a quantity order, and we had simply removed the Lenses and placed them in their own box with all original foam packaging.These Lenses are limited quantity only."

As with anything on Ebay, read the listing carefully!

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
xtaski said:
Thanks for clarifying - I've never needed warranty service on any of my other lenses so I guess I'm losing a little piece of mind for 1 year.

+1....I never have issue with Canon lenses that required service within 1 year. IF the lens is real from Canon, I don't think 1year warranty is deal breaker.

IF your lens is soft, can you exchange for another lens? that is more important to me when buy camera gear on EBay?

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
RLPhoto said:
I got a warranty card with mine.

A blank warranty card doesn't mean anything.

I brought my 24-105 to Canon service Center in Irvine CA. The 1st thing they asked me "do have receipt with you?"

At the end....they did calibrated 24-105 to match with 5D II for FREE. I'm still not a big fan of 24-105. Love the lenght, not the f4. ;D

Upvote 0
+1 on the warrantee card meaning nothing. If you're taking something to canon for warrantee service all they care about is a receipt showing purchase. I've had an issue or two with non canon authorized purchases in the past but the good folks at canon irvine have always been more than willing to help as long as my receipt showed purchase within the year. That being said with the crack down on map pricing my guess is they will be more strict. As always it's better to deal with a quality retailer than canon anyway. My local shop isn't canon authorized but they have always treated me well and never hesitate to exchange a product that isn't living up to my expectations.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:

I brought my 24-105 to Canon service Center in Irvine CA. The 1st thing they asked me "do have receipt with you?"

Eh, I still got one in the box.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
RLPhoto said:
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:

How can you get the receipt when they are NOT authorized dealer?

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:

How can you get the receipt when they are NOT authorized dealer?

I have the warranty card in my hands right now. If it actually helps in a claim is another matter. ;D

Upvote 0
G

Greg_M

I also got a fold over sheet that looks like it came from Canon (says Canon on it and has the right colors and logo) It folds in 1/4s and looks like it is a warranty card but says it's not a warranty card right on it. But it does have the printed lens description and the serial number. It's not like a 3x5 card, more like a pamphlet or something.

I'm pretty happy today.....

Upvote 0
X

xtaski

Mine was definitely new. Other than not getting a warranty card I'm very happy. I've done test shots to compare it with my 28-135mm IS and I can already tell this lens is sharper. My 28-135mm was always soft for me so I'm not shocked.

I'm keeping mine. For $750, there is no reason to go buy new from B&H to get a 1 year warranty. I've had 4 Canon lenses, 3 SLRs in my life and I've never had to warranty repair any of them...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.