7D mk2 Auto Focus survey

did you have to send your 7D mk2 back for focus adjustments?

• Total voters
I'm on my third 7Dii and I'm still not satisfied with my BIFs while using AI SERVO mode

I've come up from a 500D and I took some satisfying images with that. The only time I manage to get 7Dii quality images, is when I'm shooting macro. For the record, I do macro in manual mode and 'walk into' my subject, therefore the AF system is not active.

My images are not 100% and crisp. Even shots taken in a controlled manner. But this is most evident when shooting birds and smaller, moving subjects. I shot a motorcycle event and the larger subject seems to photograph a helluva lot better than birds for instance.

Those who remember my complaints about the 7Dii will remember me contending that Canon's marketing revolved around wildlife and sports photography. I'm sticking my handup as a birding photographer and asking why does my 7Dii behave this way?

For those wanting to know: My 1st two bodies were returned to Canon. Both were verified by Canon's technical services as being faulty and that they were unable to correct the issue, hence me getting new bodies all the time.
I also got feedback from Canon pros who took the cameras out and got the same issues I did.

I'm praying this is a software issue as hardware problems would be a killer blow for me

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2014
Sabaki said:
I'm on my third 7Dii and I'm still not satisfied with my BIFs while using AI SERVO mode

I've come up from a 500D and I took some satisfying images with that. The only time I manage to get 7Dii quality images, is when I'm shooting macro. For the record, I do macro in manual mode and 'walk into' my subject, therefore the AF system is not active.

My images are not 100% and crisp. Even shots taken in a controlled manner. But this is most evident when shooting birds and smaller, moving subjects. I shot a motorcycle event and the larger subject seems to photograph a helluva lot better than birds for instance.

Those who remember my complaints about the 7Dii will remember me contending that Canon's marketing revolved around wildlife and sports photography. I'm sticking my handup as a birding photographer and asking why does my 7Dii behave this way?

For those wanting to know: My 1st two bodies were returned to Canon. Both were verified by Canon's technical services as being faulty and that they were unable to correct the issue, hence me getting new bodies all the time.
I also got feedback from Canon pros who took the cameras out and got the same issues I did.

I'm praying this is a software issue as hardware problems would be a killer blow for me

If it is a software issue canon could have fixed it with a firmware updade. Which was rumored to come last week and didn't. A hardware issue would be less likely. Also it is strange that no test of the 7D II mentioned problems with AF. Not dpreview not the several youtube experts not any professional magazine I know.

Upvote 0

Northbird

"Be a rainbow in somebody else's cloud" - Maya A.
unfocused said:
Northbird said:
A 7D II replaced my original 7D after about 70K actuations. LOVE the camera for wildlife shooting and I've been completely satisfied with autofocus performance, frame rate and ISO & DR performance. Sure, a 1dx would be better but at significantly higher investment in cash, size and weight.

Common yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)
by Tony Varela Photography, on Flickr

Love your bird pictures. Please fill us in a bit on your technique.

Thanks geonix. The 7D II is a highly configurable and sophisticated camera, I believe at least some of the issues people have with the camera are related to configuration problems. Certainly there may be a few flawed ones out there but my experience has been overwhelmingly positive.

In terms of technique; patience, knowing your subject matter, knowing your camera inside and out go a long way towards being able to create good images. Here's another of an owl in flight shot with the 7D II.

Short-eared owl (Asio flammeus)
by Tony Varela Photography, on Flickr

Upvote 0
geonix said:
Sabaki said:

If it is a software issue canon could have fixed it with a firmware updade. Which was rumored to come last week and didn't. A hardware issue would be less likely. Also it is strange that no test of the 7D II mentioned problems with AF. Not dpreview not the several youtube experts not any professional magazine I know.
There's a good few reviews I've read which mirrors my experiences.

Check Michael Maven and FroKnowsPhoto as two examples.

Upvote 0
Pelican said:
I used the 7D (with 300mm f/2.8 IS) before the 7D mark II and took about 160.000 expo (mostly birds).
I haven't noticed any advance in the AF system of the Mark II (took 20.000 expo with the same lens)

That's kinda my experience so far. What the 7D did, the mk2 does. What the 7D didn't do, the mk2 also doesn't. But, and there's a big but, I haven't tinkered at all with the AF tracking modes available. Maybe if I bothered looking at those the success rate will increase.

As a side comment, the 7D + 100-400L was my most used combo. I also got the 70-300L as backup and the two lenses were near enough the same performance on the 7D. Now with the 7D mk2, I think the 100-400L images look softer than the 70-300L ones, but still need to do more real world testing. I wouldn't have thought the small MP difference would be enough in itself to make the difference. Or is this just a poor excuse to justify looking at the 100-400L mk2 :)

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2014
Sabaki said:

Hi Sabaki

I just looked the 35min video from Fro, his real life review of the hockey game and some shots from a concert. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX6gK0bkq3g
In general he seems very positive with the camera to me. He points out several times that the the focus is slightly of on some shots and on others it is pin-sharp.
To me that is exactly what should be expected. Even more if you shoot in low light with high ISO. The most "severe" issues for me were his shots of the musician and the trainer were he said he was on single AF and it was still missing. But than again, the light contidions where bad and still he managed to get some shots sharp.

To sum this review up: The AF of the 7D2 is not perfect (which I never expected it to be) but in total it works very good. Michael Maven I haven't seen yet, but I will soon.

That said I don't want to say your problems with the 7D2 are imagined or exaggerated. If I could, I would lent you mine for a day but I guess you don't live in Switzerland do you?
Next week I will be in Scotland for bird and landscape shooting and I will put my 7D2 to extensive use there.

I hope you will finally get one which is functioning as you expect. Maybe there will be a firmware update eventually.

Upvote 0
Got my camera back from repair yesterday. They said all the hardware is within spec and that they adjusted and checked the focus. It was late in the afternoon and very cloudy so I haven't had much of an opportunity to determine if it's working better now or not.

Took a bunch of shot during lunch and was amazed with how many keepers I ended up with. Here's a few I quickly processed. Nothing spectacular but miles apart from what I was getting before:

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
machx0r said:
Got my camera back from repair yesterday. They said all the hardware is within spec and that they adjusted and checked the focus. It was late in the afternoon and very cloudy so I haven't had much of an opportunity to determine if it's working better now or not.

Took a bunch of shot during lunch and was amazed with how many keepers I ended up with. Here's a few I quickly processed. Nothing spectacular but miles apart from what I was getting before:

out of curiousity, how noisy is that osprey when it's flying over in that mode?..

Upvote 0
Aglet said:
out of curiousity, how noisy is that osprey when it's flying over in that mode?..

We're right on the flight path out of Marine Corps Air Station Miramar so we get lots of airborne traffic. The Ospreys aren't much louder than any of the helicopters and much quieter than any of the jets.

When these guys fly over we have to pause meetings :)

HN8A3965_DxO by machx0r, on Flickr

Upvote 0
My test shot is shooting a person walking towards the camera. Conditions are bright daylight, iso 100, 1/1000 shutter speed in Tv mode and I'm using a 17-55mm f2.8 Canon. I'm set on case 2 with tracking sensitivity set to -2. I'm using AF point expansion with 8 expansion points, AI servo AF and continuous high.
I'm getting most of the images in focus but in some I just can't find anything in focus at all.
I've set the 1st and 2nd AI servo AF image priorities to focus, but are they just a recommendation? I'm telling the camera not to take a shot if it is not in focus and still I get these out-of-focus images.
I'm not sure if this is a problem with the camera or whether this is to be expected?

Upvote 0
rshachar said:
My test shot is shooting a person walking towards the camera. Conditions are bright daylight, iso 100, 1/1000 shutter speed in Tv mode and I'm using a 17-55mm f2.8 Canon. I'm set on case 2 with tracking sensitivity set to -2. I'm using AF point expansion with 8 expansion points, AI servo AF and continuous high.
I'm getting most of the images in focus but in some I just can't find anything in focus at all.
I've set the 1st and 2nd AI servo AF image priorities to focus, but are they just a recommendation? I'm telling the camera not to take a shot if it is not in focus and still I get these out-of-focus images.
I'm not sure if this is a problem with the camera or whether this is to be expected?

Same issue I was having. I sent it to Canon and they replaced the mirror box and AF assembly plus recalibration. It's fine now. Call them and send it back. They may even pay for shipping both ways.

Upvote 0
Some of you have seen my experiences with the autofocus on my 7D II, which you can read here:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=25534.msg508478#msg508478

When going back to review my testing, I remember I did do a manual focus test which did not produce good results. The interesting thing is that I am now using the same combination - 7D II, 500 f/4 II, 1.4 tc, 1/1000 sec., f/5.6 handheld and getting awesome results.

This leads me to believe that there is some vibration problem with the camera. Why mine worked itself out after about 5-7k actuations is beyond me. Maybe it's like breaking in your car....

Upvote 0
East Wind Photography said:
rshachar said:

Same issue I was having. I sent it to Canon and they replaced the mirror box and AF assembly plus recalibration. It's fine now. Call them and send it back. They may even pay for shipping both ways.

Thanks! I will probably hold off with sending it back to Canon to see if there's information now that this rumor is out http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/05/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-af-issues/

Upvote 0
geonix said:
Sabaki said:

Hi Sabaki

I just looked the 35min video from Fro, his real life review of the hockey game and some shots from a concert. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX6gK0bkq3g
In general he seems very positive with the camera to me. He points out several times that the the focus is slightly of on some shots and on others it is pin-sharp.
To me that is exactly what should be expected. Even more if you shoot in low light with high ISO. The most "severe" issues for me were his shots of the musician and the trainer were he said he was on single AF and it was still missing. But than again, the light contidions where bad and still he managed to get some shots sharp.

To sum this review up: The AF of the 7D2 is not perfect (which I never expected it to be) but in total it works very good. Michael Maven I haven't seen yet, but I will soon.

That said I don't want to say your problems with the 7D2 are imagined or exaggerated. If I could, I would lent you mine for a day but I guess you don't live in Switzerland do you?
Next week I will be in Scotland for bird and landscape shooting and I will put my 7D2 to extensive use there.

I hope you will finally get one which is functioning as you expect. Maybe there will be a firmware update eventually.

Hi Geonix

No offense taken bro

I've been in this situation for three bodies now and I have learnt that a good number of fellow togs do take the stance of discrediting the user's ability/knowledge of how to operate a camera.

I'm not accusing you of trying to do the same but I do have a purpose to telling my tale.

The main reason is to put it out there for others to see that maybe their issues are not unique and the more persons we have discussing these glitches, hopefully the sooner a fix is found.

The other reason is more selfish I'm afraid. Partly to vent but to mainly to prove I'm not totally useless with a camera, which was a major financial outlay for me.

Would love to borrow your copy but as you're in Switzerland and I'm in South Africa...at least our two countries are responsible for the greatest male tennis player ever!

I just read the rumour that Canon have acknowledged the AF issues. Let's hope we see that fix sooner than later :)

Hope you get some great shots with your 7Dii mate

Upvote 0