8K recording options for the Canon EOS R5 leak

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Even with all of us on here talking about this for months now.... I am still going cross eyed in
Total disbelief and exited anticipation seeing this. It’s really getting real now. And it’s Effing insane. Bring on July 9th!!! The new Canon Independence Day!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
C 1dx3 has 2800 mbs in raw @ 5.5 k, and R5 on only 400 mbs @ 8k. Sounds unreal.
Yes, that doesn’t sound right does it. One of the assumptions that went into that 400 MBs numbers must be off. I think my 1DX2 is 500MBs at 24p although mjpeg is a data hog.

Edit: got it. Mixing my Bits and bytes again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Can’t wait... now the main open questions are:
1. What will rolling shutter be like?... global shutter please Canon:-D
2. How much dynamic range can we expect?... Please have DGO technology... pretty please.
If they squeezed in these two features the competition... wait... there would be no competition.

If they announce that it has GS and DGO, you don't need to buy it. You need to take every penny that you were gonna spend on it and buy lottery tickets, because it's your lucky day.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Seems like this is targeting explaining the two modes that basically no other camera in its price point has; which in the past has meant Canon would cripple them in some way to render them little more than marketing specs.

Im hopeful this means that era is over; which is wild since so much of the EOS RP was insane crippling

I'm hopeful as well that the crippling era is over; with that being said I do think the RP is a bad example...at that price point I think Canon will always pull out the cripple hammer otherwise no one would ever buy any other model.

What I never understood was crippling their flagships like the 5DIV or how long it took for them to re-focus on the DSLR video market. I'm almost ready to believe that Canon really did have some fatal flaws in their CPUs and had to develop a new generation of processors to safely overcome their limitations without overheating or instability.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I'm hopeful as well that the crippling era is over; with that being said I do think the RP is a bad example...at that price point I think Canon will always pull out the cripple hammer otherwise no one would ever buy any other model.

PLEASE stop using that word! It's patently gross but also wildly inaccurate. It implies 'cannot do very much at all'. If a ship is "crippled" during a battle, it's essentially out of the fight. 'Not being able to do everything because it's built to a budget' is nothing like that.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
If they announce that it has GS and DGO, you don't need to buy it. You need to take every penny that you were gonna spend on it and buy lottery tickets, because it's your lucky day.
As someone who is going to use R5 for stills (and not video) 99.9% of the time, I'd prefer it to have neither.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0