8K recording options for the Canon EOS R5 leak

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
PLEASE stop using that word! It's patently gross but also wildly inaccurate. It implies 'cannot do very much at all'. If a ship is "crippled" during a battle, it's essentially out of the fight. 'Not being able to do everything because it's built to a budget' is nothing like that.
Relax...its just a term that every Canon user is very familiar with...historical definition does not matter if enough people use a word or term in a certain context to the point that everyone else understands its meaning (i.e. the word drone used to cause English majors to go into meltdown but now it is universally accepted as a term for a UAV/UAS). And yes, even based on your definition I do think it is more appropriate than ever; Canon's DSLR line has been crippled in the video department to the point to where they were no longer in the battle for consumers. The 5DIV wasn't "built to a budget" yet it has a terrible crop and it uses MJPEG for 4K, that to me is crippled; or neglecting to add 24FPS to the EOS 90D, RP, and M6 II...until enough people complained and they added it, or neglecting to add two card slots to the EOS R, or no 10 bit codec even for an external recorder for the C200, the list goes on and on.

These missing features aren't about building a camera to a budget, they are about deliberately removing features to protect some other model in the line; the end result typically being to drive customers to other vendors who did not make those choices. As a reference point Panasonic throws everything but the kitchen sink at their cameras and squeeze everything they can out of every piece of hardware in the camera...I've never seen anyone saying they got a crippled GH5, or S1H; because everyone knows the only limitations are the hardware.

Their recent mirrorless choices on the other hand make perfect sense and aligns the actual hardware with that price segment. The RP, R6, and R5 IMO fit perfectly in the lineup and have actual hardware differences which clearly differentiate the features and capabilities of each camera. From the specs that have been released so far, I haven't seen anything that indicates Canon is deliberately using software/firmware to "cripple" the hardware capabilities of the cameras.

To me, the difference in building to a budget vs crippling a camera comes down to hardware....if Canon deliberately removes software features that the hardware can support then they have crippled the camera. If they remove software features due to hardware limitations that's called building to a budget.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

subtraho

Birds and Macro
CR Pro
Nov 20, 2018
Maryland
twitter.com
As someone who is going to use R5 for stills (and not video) 99.9% of the time, I'd prefer it to have neither.

But... both of those things enhance stills, too. DGO is basically just fancy automatic bracketing for enhanced dynamic range. And a global shutter would be amazing unless you want the 20fps e-shutter burst to have crazy rolling shutter effects if anything in the frame moves.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Was hoping you could access 120FPS from that screen. Leads me to believe there will be disabled features when using High Frame Rate mode since you'll probably have to enable it in another menu. At least Auto Focus will work, but Image Stabilization and Audio are candidates for being disabled when shooting 4K120p.

That screen though is so much cleaner though. I like it!

Upvote 0
"8K 30p and 4K 120p will not have a crop." In the screenshot, 8K-D doesn't show 30fps as an option? Are we sure it shoots 8K RAW 30fps, or only 24/25fps?
Excitement overload these two cameras EOS R 5 and R 6 will be FF ML changes - well done to Canon; sleeping giant has awoken.

Although over time Sony and Nikon will catchup; overtake and vice versa.

Upvote 0
But... both of those things enhance stills, too. DGO is basically just fancy automatic bracketing for enhanced dynamic range. And a global shutter would be amazing unless you want the 20fps e-shutter burst to have crazy rolling shutter effects if anything in the frame moves.

Don’t get the anti-DGO/GS crowd riled up again, or we’ll have this thread clogged up with “why it will never work” posts.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Was hoping you could access 120FPS from that screen. Leads me to believe there will be disabled features when using High Frame Rate mode since you'll probably have to enable it in another menu. At least Auto Focus will work, but Image Stabilization and Audio are candidates for being disabled when shooting 4K120p.

That screen though is so much cleaner though. I like it!
8K dci is selected in the photo so it may be that it’s only showing 8k frame rates. It’s possible that when you select some 4K modes 120 FPS is available as an option. Of course it could be a separated function but that would be disappointing.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
8K dci is selected in the photo so it may be that it’s only showing 8k frame rates. It’s possible that when you select some 4K modes 120 FPS is available as an option. Of course it could be a separated function but that would be disappointing.

I thought about that too. But I ruled that out when I saw the 50p grayed out (unselectable). Obviously the camera will not shoot at 8K50/60p since it's capped off at 30, but it's still there... just unselectable. So why wouldn't they just put 120p and gray it out in the resolutions it wouldn't be available?

If it does somehow pop up when you select the 4K and lower modes, that would make me happy.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I thought about that too. But I ruled that out when I saw the 50p grayed out (unselectable). Obviously the camera will not shoot at 8K50/60p since it's capped off at 30, but it's still there... just unselectable. So why wouldn't they just put 120p and gray it out in the resolutions it wouldn't be available?

If it does somehow pop up when you select the 4K and lower modes, that would make me happy.

I wonder what happens if you select a non-RAW option in the bottom row, the 50p might get enabled again.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017

yeah looking at the image closely I think you're correct, the menus appear to be context sensitive. There also appears to be more modes with some scrolling.

Upvote 0
More interesting, is if it offers a 4K cropped mode in addition. This gives great options and possibly (off the top of my head) the ability to use EF-S lenses too?

How would you mount EF-S lenses? AFAIK the adapter supports EF lenses only.
Sell those EF-S lenses and invest in some RF glass :)

Upvote 0