A budget EOS R body is coming in the first half of 2021 [CR2]

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
Perfect match for the 28-70/2

In case that this camera have the same AF and sensor as RP camera, sadly, this match can become true for me, because I will want it as a backup camera hahahaha I was thinking in purchase an RP as backup, but if it can cost even less, better then. Will be a camera thatI only will use as an emergency hahahaha

Upvote 0
It's actually really funny for me to read this comment as a few hours ago I stumbled across some photos that I did in April. I had left my 5DIV at the office and a friend urgently needed some photos shot so I borrowed my kid's RP and did the shoot. I was looking at these photos and then saw the metadata and it reminded me that I shot them on the RP and I said to myself "Holy Crap! These look really great! I didn't think the RP was that good."

So you may feel it's a crappy sensor, but in my opinion, it still takes very nice photos.

I liked the RP when I tried it. I tested it at a botanic garden and I liked the images SOOC, kind of film-like. With the exception of one or two others, my RP images on Flickr are by far my most viewed.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2018
Indeed, though there is a long way between patents and effective real gears. That would be interesting, if also it can be cheap enough. However, looks like Canon has decided to surprise us from now on (I'm thinking of 600mm and 800mm F/11 for instance), so why not.. :)
Moreover, Panasonic has already released a compact 20-60 / 3.5-5.6 full-frame lens ... Too bad our beloved Canon is lagging behind! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2018
R6 sensor makes sense. I doesn't really make a big difference in manufacturing cost, a FF sensor is a big slice of silicon, no matter how low-tech it is. I hope Canon makes this low-cost RF camera with the R6 sensor, digic X processor and 4 or 5 fps mechanical. They just have to make sure it does the same 4K 30p as the R6 and they can skip all the fancy modes above that (cripple hammer). no EVF, no top LCD, and no joystick. Without the IBIS it will probably also not overheat in any mode.

Upvote 0
wouldn't it then just be the R6?

In a smaller body without an EVF (or IBIS and dual cards) would not an R6 be right?

I've always sworn myself to having one camera body at a time, but this would be a good reason to have 2.

And also, Pancakes pleasE!! There was a pancake rumor, lets see the pancake!

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
Moreover, Panasonic has already released a compact 20-60 / 3.5-5.6 full-frame lens ... Too bad our beloved Canon is lagging behind! :)
Yes, though I already think 70mm can be short overall... Anyway, I usually prefer having fixed lenses (and 35mm is my own fav in this range).

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
It's actually really funny for me to read this comment as a few hours ago I stumbled across some photos that I did in April. I had left my 5DIV at the office and a friend urgently needed some photos shot so I borrowed my kid's RP and did the shoot. I was looking at these photos and then saw the metadata and it reminded me that I shot them on the RP and I said to myself "Holy Crap! These look really great! I didn't think the RP was that good."

So you may feel it's a crappy sensor, but in my opinion, it still takes very nice photos.
Indeed, and I will add that no FF sensor can be called crappy since at least 2012... To my sense, at worst, we only can talk about preferences.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
Thank!
I am a photography lover and I am far from young. Considering my addictions - day trips and photography of the landscape and friends, I would like to have a lightweight set of equipment, consisting of a camera and two lenses, for example, 16 (20) -60 (70) and 70-300 ...
I'm here :) https://www.flickr.com/photos/i_sh/
Nice ! At that point I use 70-300mm and a fixed 35mm. And for specific bird shooting I use a bigger tool... ;)... all that put on my bicycle. :D .

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
So a cheaper RP without EVF and IBIS and likely another recycled sensor. Maybe it's better to buy the RP then!

The sensor isn't the problem. The sensor in the RP is great. The big advantage of a new model will be the increased autofocus and tracking performance that the new DIGIC can give.

I think we're entering an era where computational power of cameras is going to be more of a selling point than the number of megapixels on the sensor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I don't think the older sensor will be fast enough for that, but there's nothing wrong in reusing the 1DX III sensor again.

It may not be possible to do 4K full width on those older sensors - that's something that may be a sensor limitation, but there's no reason those sensors can't support animal eye AF with a better DIGIC chip because it's the DIGIC performance that's critical here. It might even still be possible to do it on the EOS R hardware if the code is optimized well enough, but certainly with a faster CPU a 'EOS RP mark II' would be able to do it fine.

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
This is EXACTLY what I want. TINY body (I MEAN TINY), NO EVF (we aren't in 1980 anymore, a 3" screen is superior to a 1" screen) and the R6 sensor. This would be the supreme leader of the Canon lineup, even vastly superior to the R5. Basically a full frame M6. Make it a flip up screen too, no flip OUT. Then offer a small pancake prime like 40-50mm 2.8. Take my MONEY ASAP.

a version w/ a recessed sensor and custom F2 lens (also recessed) would be HOT HOT HOT.
I would suggest that the one thing you do not want to take away from a system camera, cheap as it may be, is the EVF. Holding a camera up to do anything with the rear screen is punishing on the arms / hands for any length of time, the more so its there is a heavier lens or a flash unit. If there is sunlight, good luck seeing anything at all. The EVF (or conventional viewfinder for a DSLR) is the one differentiator relative to a cell phone or a point-and-shoot that makes a camera a camera, allowing the shooter to see the picture, the controls and viewfinder info and all good things while stabilizing the camera against the forehead.

Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
Canon appears to be placing high value on offering the cheapest full frame mirrorless. It makes sense that they'd aggressively go after any potentially serious beginner enthusiasts in this manner to get a couple RF lenses in their hands. Barring any revolutionary tech offered elsewhere, those users would have little incentive to switch brands when upgrading later on now that Canon has closed the gap on autofocus capability and ibis on the higher end cameras. Gotta get them invested in the system before Sony does.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
This will be a camera for the big box stores to sell to new photographers just as the digital rebel was. Its not going to be loaded with bells and whistles or super sensor or even a EVF. That does not mean it won't do a good job in the right hands, but everything possible will be cut out to get the price down. The cost to manufacture a camera is not even close to the selling price. There are so many hidden costs that bump the price up to that big figure. I think Canon would like to get a FF camera / lens kit into big box stores for <$1000.
I bought my first Rebel at H. H. Gregg when I went in one day to look at washers, dryers, and TVs. I just sort of walked by the cameras on the way in. It was cheap enough for an impulse purchase. It included accessories, and for another $100, they threw in a 75–300mm zoom. The kit lens was OK, but not great. Low light pictures were noisy. I mainly learned from it that I wanted a better Rebel and gradually some other lenses. I got a T3i and shot with it for years. From there I got a 6D2 and about six other lenses, including two Ls. If HHG had not had that display and I hadn't needed to buy stuff for the home I would move to in retirement, it's hard to say what I might be shooting now.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I would suggest that the one thing you do not want to take away from a system camera, cheap as it may be, is the EVF. Holding a camera up to do anything with the rear screen is punishing on the arms / hands for any length of time, the more so its there is a heavier lens or a flash unit. If there is sunlight, good luck seeing anything at all. The EVF (or conventional viewfinder for a DSLR) is the one differentiator relative to a cell phone or a point-and-shoot that makes a camera a camera, allowing the shooter to see the picture, the controls and viewfinder info and all good things while stabilizing the camera against the forehead.
I used a couple S models as my travel cameras for years. Then I got a G7X II, and replaced it with a G5X II last fall. The cameras are light enough that holding them away from my face is not bad. The flippy screen is great for ceilings, domes, and inside towers. The 5 added a popup EVF. I use the screen most of the time anyway, but there are situations when it is too light to see the screen well. The EVF comes in really handy for composing then. It is not clear enough to do manual focusing. The diopter adjustment is too fussy for me to get it to look perfectly clear. (And with the DOF of the little lens, manual focusing is rarely needed.) Of the 3200 pictures I shot in Europe last fall, I'd guess that less than 10% were taken with my using the EVF, but I'm really glad it is there.

While I do use live view on my DSLR from time to time, it is usually when it is on a tripod, and only briefly otherwise. I can't imagine that I would pay for a FF sized camera without a viewfinder. Perhaps it would be like a gateway drug for newbies, just as my first Rebel was for me. Its main value was to convince me that I wanted a better camera. A mirrorless FF or APS-C camera without a viewfinder may well serve to convince people that they either want a better camera with an EVF or to quit taking pictures altogether.

Upvote 0
Let's see.... Can your vocabulary be any more crippled? Every post all you ever do is write about the crippled hammer.
Because "crippling" is a word associated with Canon, (un)fortunately! I remember the first time when I read about it was on an article about Canon EOS M. Canon didn't provided a way to output clean Hdmi signal for that version so people tried to install Magic Lantern with few card issues. Just a search on Google will reveal that "crippling" was used in titles by fstoppers (Canon Just Filed a Patent for a Brand New Cripple Hammer), canonwatch (Canon EOS R5: Crippled, Cropped Video, Focus And FPS Limitations, Says Matt Granger), dpreview (Will Canon Find A Way To Cripple The EOS R5? These Guys Think So), PetaPixel (Godox Flash Firmware Updates Bring Support for Canon’s Crippled Cameras)... So this is not the single word that is in my vocabulary. This is the word that Canon managed to be linked with on almost every professional site that talks about photography or video gear. But I guess it's their marketing choice. I said at the begining "(un)fortunately"... well, I think is Canon's choice to be viewed in this light and to be associated with the "crippling" word. So, în the end it might be fortunate... Because Canon leads the sales in this market even if they arr selling crippled cameras. I'm not a native english speaker so please don't be rude. Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
It may not be possible to do 4K full width on those older sensors - that's something that may be a sensor limitation, but there's no reason those sensors can't support animal eye AF with a better DIGIC chip because it's the DIGIC performance that's critical here.
The DIGIC performance is critical (in the sense that the old DIGICs would be not up to the task), but it doesn't mean that the sensor performance doesn't matter, especially for continuous autofocus.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
This post about the EVF differentiating a "camera" from a cell phone got me thinking. If Canon wants to "woo" the new market of cellphone users into their R FF family, these are the very people who are used to only using the *entire camera-back* touch-screen in daylight or any other light.

So why don't you just "Give them a cell-phone back screen" and give them what they want. Make it look (& be as bright) as a cellphone, and *easily* interact with them like a cellphone. To them you just have added a R mount FF sensor & lens on it to take stunning pictures.

And, in the near future you could also offer an upscale(much higher price) version of this that would actually "function as a cell-phone"! Now they really have what they want!

Heck, if you have a entire-back touch-menu LCD that's as easy to use as cellphone users have come to expect, then I'd be interested in buying it! I could get by on a trip with it and not take my regular cellphone. And it'd inherently have the cellphones GPS to tag all your photos! (of course you'd have energy saving modes if you didn't want it turned on).

If you make it as compact in thickness and screen size as possible like a larger cellphone, then there's no room for IBIS (whether you'd like it or not). But that's OK - cellphones don't have IBIS anyway! And you have wide pancakes that don't really have to have it, and lots of IS lenses you can add. And no IBIS means you can integrate the sensor/processor/memory heat transfer efficiently to the body so you have no heating issues!

After all, if I take off the lens and put a mount-cap on the body, then it'd probably be pocketable (in a generous size pocket) and still function as a phone. Or maybe I put on a quality thin & lightweight pancake lens (as a kit option!) and it's all thin & light enough that I can comfortably use it as a phone or take pictures/video.

If you *really* wanted to knock it out of the park, then *do a deal with Apple* for it to be a full Apple designed iphone merged with a Canon designed R mount/sensor & lenses and let them design the camera processor & user interface! Now I'd buy it *and* my 2 sons would probably buy it, too!
One thing Apple can do is to make the user touch-screen interface fun, and make it visually stunning and *sell like hotcakes* at a premium price, with the Canon brand riding along as *top camera*!

Of course, you could also do a deal with another major cellphone maker to do all of this as well.

Call it the Canon "RCP" for R CellPhone, or iCamera (my favorite), AndroidR or whatever. You'd make a *lot* of them!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't disagree, but it really does depend on use. I'd consider this potential body as a backup even without an EVF simply because upwards of 95% of photos I take are on a tripod and in live view. I think EVFless camera can fit some use cases, but I don't disagree that it is a fundamental change to how most users shoot.

Upvote 0