A Canon camera has shown up for certification

May 11, 2017
All Canon has to do here is to set a very low MAP price which will still allow the distributors and the dealers to make some money, but they can make more off lens sales.

If Canon really want to take back the #1 position in mirrorless ILC, they should go the Gillette/Schick route.
The RP would seem to be Canon's version of the Gillette/Schick approach, not the R5. I don't think Canon will be giving R5's away, not with the specs that camera is going to have. We can spend endless hours wrangling over the price Canon sets for the R5, and will doubtless do so. Canon may well price the R5 aggressively, but it is not going to be the camera for everyone who wants to get into the RF mount.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Well, I just cited the guy at the desk, I am not an expert on Canon pricing either. But I do well remember how the prices were going up with every new 5D series model introduced. I got my 5D3 for 3k € here in Europe when it just was released, the 5D4 already came for 4k €, so it wouldn't be a surprise if Canon tried to introduce a 5D5, if it ever comes, for 5k € in our region. It is quite obvious that Canon aims its R5 at Sony's A9 II which is available for 4,5 US-$ at B&H right now. But Canon changed to a quite expensive brand for pro/ prosumer products. Just remember the R's ambitious initial pricing compared with the competition, offering for this money less ambitious specs (no IBIS, cropped 4k video). So, maybe it's realistic to expect the R5's initial price to be 5 k US-$ minimum. But that's my guess, we all have to wait until Canon's release...

Btw, for Leica customers, 10k US-$ still is a poor man's budget... ;)

for Leica customers, correct.. :)
however.. Canon market is bread and butter, work horse rather than ... ;)

EOS R5 over $5,000.00 MSP (USA).. my take: $4,750-ish in bundle with RF 24-105/F4. :)

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
These things also never take into the account the Sony/Nikon shooters that switch to Canon. It's almost always framed as everybody leaving Canon. Not doubting @justaCanonuser, just saying.
I just reported my recent real life observation when I met other birders in the past weeks here in middle Europe. Most of them used the Sony A7 IV plus Sony's 200-600mm, we Canon and Nikon users were suddenly a minority, for me for the first time. I was quite surprised. I learned from one of those guys that he frequently uses the A7's crop mode, which leaves about the same megapixels you find in a typical crop camera from Canon and Nikon. No doubt that there are also Sony users switching to Canon or Nikon, but that's what I have seen in the past weeks with my own eyes (and glasses on ;)).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany

EOS R5 over $5,000.00 MSP (USA).. my take: $4,750-ish in bundle with RF 24-105/F4. :)
Leica used to be a bread & butter work horse brand back in the times of Henry Cartier-Bresson, but lost track ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany

I think CR should open up now an EOS 5R introductory price betting shop to finance this site a bit :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
How is that the Canon 600EX-RT is connected to the camera that was registered? I see an camera with code DS126832 and charger LC-E6 and battery LP-E6NH seems to be related. Why are the RS-60E3 and 600EX-RT listed there? Let's say if they are some how related then what about the Dell monitor? Sony HDMI and Lenovo T430 notebook? I understand the RS-60E3 and 600EX-RT are not new products and no need to be registered. I fail to understand how all these items are perceived to be related.

This chart is the list of the external components plugged/linked with the camera during the certification test
I think there are several certifications to pass, with several certification companies, this one maybe for the electricals/electronicals interactions, to respect curtains levels of voltage or electro waves or something like that.

It dosen't mean theses components are the only that works with this camera. It means that they took these component to certify, maybe because the comunication protocol is the most common, or some specifications they wanted to be sure to pass, or maybe because they (canon) don't choose, but the certification company do (even it is their property).

Also if this certification verify some electrical levels, it doesn't mean neither that the interface will not be different [EDIT: for the serial production, like for the remote].

The only new information we got with this chart is the battery name

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

Just needs to be a full featured with wireless trigger and 8K and all the other cool stuff.
It needs to be a tour de force camera to put to rest the crap that others say about lack of innovation.
And no it does not need to be the super high MP 5S series but the MP rumored is about perfect.
Yes, I am fascinated by high MP but am seeing the light that perhaps file size can get beyond what I want to deal with.
I would rather see speed, DR and other features get hit out of the ballpark rather than huge MP.
Canon does huge mp, what about 240-250 mp or something now?

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
In fact, for birding, and within the Canon system, you only have two options currently if you want catch as much detail as possible with your tele lens: use a slowly firing 5DR and crop later or use a fast firing 7D2 and catch more action. I actually use the 7D2 even with converters + my EF 500mm, if there is enough light. With a 1DX wouldn't have much space to crop. Typical birder problem, since their objects are fast, shy, and often small ;)

Birding is probably 95 percent of what I do, and I thought I did okay with my 40D, 70D, 7D2, 5D4, and EOS-R.

Maybe I'm missing your point, or maybe my photos are garbage and no one has bothered to tell me yet.
"I'm halfway down!"

I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on this.. NICE.

Upvote 0
Birding is probably 95 percent of what I do, and I thought I did okay with my 40D, 70D, 7D2, 5D4, and EOS-R.

Maybe I'm missing your point, or maybe my photos are garbage and no one has bothered to tell me yet.

I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on this.. NICE.

I'm disappointed more people didn't...how old is the average user on these forums I wonder

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Most wildlife shooters do NOT shoot APS-C.

Strolling round various wildlife sites at weekends, I see more APS-C than FF.
Partly it is about pixel density and partly about price - huge numbers of wildlife shooters stretching the family budget. FF is about 10% of the overall ILC market so considering the significant number of wildlife enthusiasts, it would be a stretch to believe that the number of wildlifers with FF would exceed those shooting APS-C..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Anyone who thinks this camera is coming in less than $4k has lost their mind. This is a video first camera that will tower over anything else available.

I lost that ages ago.
I'm disappointed more people didn't...how old is the average user on these forums I wonder

I'm rubbing elbows with the 60s (name is Robert - thus Bert 63)..

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
Higher capacity in the same form factor is logical to me. By comparison Sony's A7/A9 batteries have 2280mah vs 1865 in the LP-E6N despite similar physical size, so it would seem there is room for denser energy storage.
That's a good general speculation, assuming the form factor and specific li-ion chemistry are correct.

The LP-E6 and its variant (e.g. LP-E6N and LP-E6NH) are not 1865 (18650) series battery cells. I believe it's more like 14500, significantly smaller.

Last edited:
Upvote 0