A few new Canon products have been cancelled due to the supply chain issues

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]A lack of evidence doesn't mean anything more than we don't know, so we can't conclude that something is safe or unsafe, works or doesn't, exists or doesn't exist! This logical fallacy is called argumentum ad ignorantiam or the argument from ignorance.[..]
To say in a more cutesy manner: Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Hundreds of political leaders with no economic understanding made poor decisions over the past two years that will impact the next 5-10 in many unforeseen ways.
Political leaders didn't force companies to use just-in-time manufacturing, which makes companies more vulnerable to supply chain disruptions.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Political leaders didn't force companies to use just-in-time manufacturing, which makes companies more vulnerable to supply chain disruptions.
Many companies use just-in-time manufacturing, some just have better contingency planning than others, and Canon's not one of them! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I think you misunderstood me?

I think the crop R and the high resolution R5 (R5s?) could easily be delayed without any real impact on system viability.

I also think Canon would prioritize getting an R1 and R5C in some peoples hands even if in only limited numbers to maintain interest and a competitive edge. The R1 already has the Sony A1 (MkII) and the Nikon Z9 effectively in the market space, and the Sony FX3 is in that R5C space. Leaving both those market segments without a model seems short sighted.
Interesting hypothesis. It will be interesting to see which cameras Canon releases next. I suspect an entry level camera to replace R and RP and maybe a high-res R. I would not expect a R1 camera so shortly after a R3, but I strongly suspect a R1 announcement in 2023.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
As rumors go this one is extremely vague.
Statements like "may have cancelled.." , "it looks like..." or "source said it’s likely..."
And were not really sure what these products might even be.

Has any one checked to see if the R3 has suddenly disappeared from the website and internal documents. I bet that would get 60 pages of posts really fast.
With out telling us what was cancelled this article is worthless beyond being able to point to it in the future and say rumor X was right but got nuked by the cancellations. See here is an article abut the cancellations.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
In a somewhat related story, the last couple of days I've been talking with RRS about an order for work. Some tripod models have been discontinued but the only way to know is just not finding them on their site(or having an order cancelled). Ironically those are still listed on B&H, which was a good thing for comparing specs. Some of this is around realigning less popular models to focus production capability, some on parts, and others on shifting to what seems to be an even more versatile line, albeit at a slightly higher price point. If you do go on their site to just look around, you might notice most items are currently backordered.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
In a somewhat related story, the last couple of days I've been talking with RRS about an order for work. Some tripod models have been discontinued but the only way to know is just not finding them on their site(or having an order cancelled). Ironically those are still listed on B&H, which was a good thing for comparing specs. Some of this is around realigning less popular models to focus production capability, some on parts, and others on shifting to what seems to be an even more versatile line, albeit at a slightly higher price point. If you do go on their site to just look around, you might notice most items are currently backordered.
A couple of weeks ago I was checking to see if there were dedicated plates for the RF 100-500 or 70-200/2.8, and I noticed that nearly everything seemed to be out of stock.

There wasn’t anything dedicated for my two new lenses, just the L-85 lens plate (backordered like most items, but since those lenses replace my EF 70-300L and 70-200/2.8 IS II that I recently sold, I already have the plates).

I plan to email RRS. Although they’re clearly having supply issues (and they don’t make anything containing microchips), and designing new products may not be an active area for them now, I think they should make plates for the RF lens collars. The two that I have both have the machined hole for the standard anti-twist pin (typically found on camcorders), which obviates the need for the anti-twist tabs that don’t fit as well on the more curved back of the tripod foot. The RRS B-26 plate I have for my camcorder fits perfectly, but it’s short and there’s only one safety stop available.

Upvote 0
A couple of weeks ago I was checking to see if there were dedicated plates for the RF 100-500 or 70-200/2.8, and I noticed that nearly everything seemed to be out of stock.

There wasn’t anything dedicated for my two new lenses, just the L-85 lens plate (backordered like most items, but since those lenses replace my EF 70-300L and 70-200/2.8 IS II that I recently sold, I already have the plates).

I plan to email RRS. Although they’re clearly having supply issues (and they don’t make anything containing microchips), and designing new products may not be an active area for them now, I think they should make plates for the RF lens collars. The two that I have both have the machined hole for the standard anti-twist pin (typically found on camcorders), which obviates the need for the anti-twist tabs that don’t fit as well on the more curved back of the tripod foot. The RRS B-26 plate I have for my camcorder fits perfectly, but it’s short and there’s only one safety stop available.
I'm waiting for an answer back on replacement collars for the 100-500. The part I find interesting is the demand, based on what they have said, seems to be high and growing even while there is a huge economic mess happening worldwide. They moved from CA to UT in 2018, which was a good thing considering how they would have been deemed 'non-essential' by CA policies and shuttered or at least severely restricted when the COVID-19 policies were enacted last March.

Seeing people bash Canon for having supply issues when it seems to be affecting most, if not all, businesses that provide products is somewhat weird. New cars, car parts, tires, and a lot of new tech devices all seem to be in short supply.

Upvote 0
Seeing people bash Canon for having supply issues when it seems to be affecting most, if not all, businesses that provide products is somewhat weird. New cars, car parts, tires, and a lot of new tech devices all seem to be in short supply.

I've heard that just raw aluminum and seat/pillow foam for sofas are in backlog on a worldwide scale.

I've heard from a few contacts that manufacturing companies in China have been ordered to limit their energy consumption because there's not enough electricity for all as the grids are overloaded from the factories trying to catch up with the demand after the covid down-turn.

One contact said that the companies he was working with, that were normally running 24x7, were told to go down to 2-3-4 days a week. It's the worst energy rationing in 20+ years, apparently.

I have no idea if this is limited to certain areas or a widespread issue across China.

The current problems does go to show how lean and hence vulnerable the global supply chains had become, simply because we got used to the extremely efficient global supply chain pre-covid. We simply didn't see this as a potential risk.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Perhaps the rumored RF APS-C and the entry level Full-Frame are on hold for now until they can get all the parts in and manufacture them in a timely manner, it will also give them time to catch up on the current lineup of cameras and lenses. This is a global issue that effects many different industries. It will get back to normal one day but it will just take time, maybe in a year? Or possibly even longer?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Perhaps the rumored RF APS-C and the entry level Full-Frame are on hold for now until they can get all the parts in and manufacture them in a timely manner, it will also give them time to catch up on the current lineup of cameras and lenses. [..]
I hope they'll spend some time on improving the firmware as well, sharing improvements over all recent models. Seeing how delayed the announced updates have been (the Atomos V+ support earlier, now the VR support), the firmware team could use some extra people and a review of their process.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm waiting for an answer back on replacement collars for the 100-500.
I’m curious, why a replacement collar? AFAIK, they’ve only done collars for a couple of Nikon lenses with poorly designed collars. I’ve been happy with my Canon lens collars. In addition to the included ones, I purchased the Canon collars for the 70-300L and the 100L macro. I do use the RRS replacement foot for my 600/4 II, but the collar itself is fine.

The RF collars do lack the detents at 90° intervals, is that the issue? I haven’t used the lenses on a tripod yet, may never do so with the 70-200/2.8, and the 100-500 might be used very rarely on a monopod. My main use for the collar is as an attachment point for my BlackRapid strap (connected to the lens plate with a Kirk 1” clamp LocTite’d to the strap lug).

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I’m curious, why a replacement collar? AFAIK, they’ve only done collars for a couple of Nikon lenses with poorly designed collars. I’ve been happy with my Canon lens collars. In addition to the included ones, I purchased the Canon collars for the 70-300L and the 100L macro. I do use the RRS replacement foot for my 600/4 II, but the collar itself is fine.

The RF collars do lack the detents at 90° intervals, is that the issue? I haven’t used the lenses on a tripod yet, may never do so with the 70-200/2.8, and the 100-500 might be used very rarely on a monopod. My main use for the collar is as an attachment point for my BlackRapid strap (connected to the lens plate with a Kirk 1” clamp LocTite’d to the strap lug).
I too use the collar of most lenses mainly for attaching to a BlackRapid. digigal reported early on a saga with a faulty collar for her 100-500mm and was unable to get it replaced, until Canon eventually replaced the whole lens.

Upvote 0