A higher end EOS M body is in the pipeline [CR1]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Not entirely right, the RF protocol is very different to EF (runs at a far higher clock speed for example) but the RF bodies are designed from the start to talk both RF and EF protocols, so EF lenses and RF lenses both work natively. The adaptor for the EF-RF lenses simply allows physical connection.

This is why third parties can do "RF" lenses because they are using the mount with the older EF protocols. No-one yet understands the RF protocols outside Canon, which is why you won't see third party lenses with control rings.

The point is, no "adapted" EF lens loses anything it has the capability of doing on an EF body when it is "adapted" to an RF body. There is zero performance loss. Zilch. Nada. Nein.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Much more often it was the truly awful EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III...
I got some version of the 75-300mm for $100 with my first Rebel, a bit overpriced it turned out. But I did make good shots of the total eclipse a few years back. Shooting at f/11, most of the chromatic aberration went away.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I got some version of the 75-300mm for $100 with my first Rebel, a bit overpriced it turned out. But I did make good shots of the total eclipse a few years back. Shooting at f/11, most of the chromatic aberration went away.

Was the 75-300 factory boxed with the rest of the kit? Or was it part of a "dealer" kit that was in its own box?

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Much more often it was the truly awful EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III...

But if I recall correctly, those were more "retailer kits" than kits boxed together at the factory.

I probably just misremembered the low end on that. Sorry. And yes, here at least it was marketed as part of an add-on bundle of accessories.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Was the 75-300 factory boxed with the rest of the kit? Or was it part of a "dealer" kit that was in its own box?
It was in its own box as I recall, but it was a Canon promotion. You could buy the camera with just the normal kit zoom, and then you had the option of adding $100 to get the telephoto also. The whole purchase was completely an impulse purchase. I went into the store to look at washers and dryers and flat-screen TVs as I was preparing to retire and move into this house, where I didn’t have any of those. The Rebel itself was decent, but very noisy in low light. I had been using 4MP Casio that had a Canon lens. It was my first digital camera, bought for my 2002 Alaska cruise. The Rebel (an Xsi, or something like that) was my first DSLR. It mainly taught me that I wanted a better camera. I shot with the T3i that followed for a number of years. I didn’t get a good telephoto until after I got the 6D2.

I did get a TV, a washer, and a dryer when I retired. I have not needed or had the desire to replace any of them.

Upvote 0
What i’m REALLY hoping for is M6ii internals inside an m5 body, plus a headphone jack, IBIS, clean HDMI out (including audio, really missing that on my M5) and C log.

I’d also really love it if they could add a joystick, the cropped 4k from the 90D, relocate the HDMI port off the grip, and offer a battery grip. those are the changes i think are necessary to really make it competitive with the A6600 and XT4 (which offer all of the above).

I guess that would really make it more of a tiny EOS R with a crop sensor, full readout 4k, and an M mount, but honestly with the advancements the RF cameras are making, i don’t think that’s out of the question. either way, my M5 will last me until we see what this new M camera has to offer.

now if only we could get a fast standard zoom on the M mount (something like the 18-35 but not as loud to autofocus)

Upvote 0