A little bit more about the upcoming Canon EOS R6 [CR2]

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
As if saying the R6 may be a 7D series equivalent body on the R platform was somehow casting an aspersion on your obviously very beloved 7D2.

You don't know the R6. You don't shoot with an R6. You don't own an R6. You are not qualified to state as a demonstrative fact what the R6 is or isn't.

I don't think this is fair take on what he said. He listed the three key features which in his opinion, describe the niche the 7D2 filled within Canon's lineup. If you accept these as reasonable, and look at the rumored specs for the R6, his opinion is well supported.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
I don't think this is fair take on what he said. He listed the three key features which in his opinion, describe the niche the 7D2 filled within Canon's lineup. If you accept these as reasonable, and look at the rumored specs for the R6, his opinion is well supported.

I can appreciate that.

The first word in my original post was "maybe", and I qualified the whole statement by saying "if the build is better than rumored".

We can disagree, and are free to speculate. I think he makes a fair argument no doubt. Is mine more a reach, perhaps.

However, he lost me with the last line of the post.

Perhaps an intelligent debate could have proceeded if I was extended the same kind of courtesy you are lobbying for him to have received.

Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
I can appreciate that.

The first word in my original post was "maybe", and I qualified the whole statement by saying "if the build is better than rumored".

We can disagree, and are free to speculate. I think he makes a fair argument no doubt. Is mine more a reach, perhaps.

Perhaps an intelligent debate could have proceeded if I was extended the same kind of courtesy you are lobbying for him to have received.

Point taken.

Upvote 0
Is this seen as an RP replacement? If so it's a hard sell trying to push a lower megapixel sensor than the one the RP already has.

Either it's a A7S class camera or it's lower than the RP. But then dual card slots?
I see the R5 and 6 as R and RP replacements as both those cameras were placeholders for the new bodies.
20MP on the R6 hints at its position in the ecosystem.
Dual slots, IBIS and high fps are just the price of admission today.
Canon had to listen to a lot of screaming about those features for a couple of years. They won't hear any now.

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
So, the probable competition for the R6 might be the Nikon Z6, Sony A7III, Panasonic S1 or even Canon’s own R and RP.

All the above non-Canon bodies already have IBIS and the current high street selling price of those bodies range between £1200 and £2000 in the UK, and a little shopping online easily brings theses price down as we all know.

So, lets hope Canon are reasonable with the pricing of the R6, looking after their own loyal brand owners as well as new or returning Canon users and price the R6 competitively.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
So, the probable competition for the R6 might be the Nikon Z6, Sony A7III, Panasonic S1 or even Canon’s own R and RP.

All the above non-Canon bodies already have IBIS and the current high street selling price of those bodies range between £1200 and £2000 in the UK, and a little shopping online easily brings theses price down as we all know.

So, lets hope Canon are reasonable with the pricing of the R6, looking after their own loyal brand owners as well as new or returning Canon users and price the R6 competitively.
Judging by their sales record, Canon has a pretty good knack for picking the right price point, regardless of whether or not we agree with them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
Except what sold the 7D Mark II were:

High pixel density (equal to about 55 MP in full frame)
Near indestructibility on terms of weather resistance, being banged around, and shutter life expectancy
Speed greater than anything in Canon's catalog other than the 1D X that sold for 4X as much

I know the 7D Mark II. I shoot with a 7D Mark II. I own a 7D Mark II. The R6 is no 7D Mark II.

But do you know Jack Kennedy? :)

• Love
Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
Except what sold the 7D Mark II were:

High pixel density (equal to about 55 MP in full frame)
Near indestructibility on terms of weather resistance, being banged around, and shutter life expectancy
Speed greater than anything in Canon's catalog other than the 1D X that sold for 4X as much

I know the 7D Mark II. I shoot with a 7D Mark II. I own a 7D Mark II. The R6 is no 7D Mark II.

Yes, I get what you're saying, I just wonder if they're consolidating their lineup with the R line as all full frame cameras, there may not be a spot for an exact analogue for the 7DII. The R6 just seems like it's built for speed for sports and wildlife, and great video, but sacrificing the build quality and massive throughput of the R5 so as to bring it down to a more reasonable price. We haven't seen any hint that there will be an apsc sensor R camera. It will be interesting to see, and I'm just speculating.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
What means ‘no top down screen’? A fixed screen like the 5D4? Or no status screen on top of the camera? I think these are potentially great video specs for quick turn around online video’s, even if it’s all 8bit but a fixed screen would ruin that party.

It means the LCD screen on the top of the camera that shows shooting settings. These are standard on higher end cameras like the EOS R, 5D and 90D.

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
The funny thing is, they're both on the same side, not knowing that they're agreeing that 7D2 is a good camera and the R6 will likely be the same. I appreciate the moderating.

side note: The downside of hyperbole language, demonstrated by the two, requires decoding of "dog whistle" talks. The world of forum we live in ....lol

Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
The funny thing is, they're both on the same side, not knowing that they're agreeing that 7D2 is a good camera and the R6 will likely be the same. I appreciate the moderating.

side note: The downside of hyperbole language, demonstrated by the two, requires decoding of "dog whistle" talks. The world of forum we live in ....lol

I just reworked his own statement so to hold a mirror up to it, in an attempt to highlight the hyperbole that was used in response to Rule556 and myself.

I really don't appreciate the demonstrative statements and aggressive nature of some comments as much as the next person when it comes to a discussion of a RUMOR.

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
I just reworked his own statement so to hold a mirror up to it, in an attempt to highlight the hyperbole that was used in response to Rule556 and myself.

I really don't appreciate the demonstrative statements and aggressive nature of some comments as much as the next person when it comes to a discussion of a RUMOR.
If you don’t like the truth, then how can you appreciate any seriousness of a RUMOR discussion?!?! You can’t have both ways!

Hyperbole talks are appropriate in many cases, especially for this forum. deceit, misinformation, and lies are methods used in this site to aim toward the goal, to find out the truth of specific device. The common method I’ve seen the site owner (or primary poster on front page) use is the bait-and-switch to get their sources to talk: that’s deceit, misinformation, manipulation, and lies. It’s a necessary evil for this style of communication

Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
If you don’t like the truth, then how can you appreciate any seriousness of a RUMOR discussion?!?! You can’t have both ways!

Hyperbole talks are appropriate in many cases, especially for this forum. deceit, misinformation, and lies are methods used in this site to aim toward the goal, to find out the truth of specific device. The common method I’ve seen the site owner (or primary poster on front page) use is the bait-and-switch to get their sources to talk: that’s deceit, misinformation, manipulation, and lies. It’s a necessary evil for this style of communication

Whatever floats the boat. Not here to make waves.

Enjoy the topic.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

He's talking about people who forcefully state, on the basis of no information--or even a line of reasonable speculation--whatsoever, things like "this camera WILL cost $5K, not $3,500" or "this camera will NOT do X" or... anyhow, those are just two examples and I don't want to single them out but I've gotta stop somewhere.

That's not "the truth," that's someone talking out his ass and hoping no one will notice if he's forceful enough.

I don't mind--actually I enjoy--reading people's speculations, especially if they put forward some sort of line of reasoning as to why it's plausible. But people who assert X as Gospel on the basis of nothing whatsoever can be really tiresome.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
That’s not actually saying anything.
Yes! It does!
The R6 won't be anything "special"/"interesting" as you mentioned but just a "normal" camera in the same way any other EOS "single digit" body will be.
Market segmentation for normal photo/video use.

How many "interesting" cameras have you seen from Canon? And we already have a dedicated EOS Ra.
So why should the EOS R 6 be
... something interesting. ...
?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
As if saying the R6 may be a 7D series equivalent body on the R platform was somehow casting an aspersion on your obviously very beloved 7D2.

You don't know the R6. You don't shoot with an R6. You don't own an R6. You are not qualified to state as a demonstrative fact what the R6 is or isn't.

I've seen the specs. In many ways it is the antithesis of why most buyers purchased a 7D Mark II.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I can appreciate that.

The last line was a cultural reference to a line Lloyd Bentsen used in a V.P. debate with Dan Quayle in the 1988 Presidential campaign when Quayle tried to equate himself with JFK.

"Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy." (Prolonged shouts and applause.)

Sorry if that was before your time.

So as Ronald Reagan once said in a debate with Walter Mondale (who had spent many years as a Washington insider in the U.S. Senate when Reagan, as a former two term governor of California, had never held national office) when he was asked by a moderator if his advanced age should be a consideration for voters: "I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience." When Mondale guffawed with the audience at Reagan's sense of humor and deadpan delivery there was never any doubt from that point on who would win. Reagan won the 1984 election in a landslide.

Last edited:
Upvote 0