A little bit more about the upcoming Canon EOS R6 [CR2]

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
The last line was a cultural reference to a line Lloyd Bentsen used in a V.P. debate with Dan Quayle in the 1988 Presidential campaign when Quayle tried to equate himself with JFK.

"Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy." (Prolonged shouts and applause.)

Sorry if that was before your time.

So as Ronald Reagan once said in a debate with Walter Mondale (who had spent many years as a Washington insider in the U.S. Senate when Reagan, as a former two term governor of California, had never held national office) when he was asked by a moderator if his advanced age should be a consideration for voters: "I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience." When Mondale guffawed with the audience at Reagan's sense of humor and deadpan delivery there was never any doubt from that point on who would win. Reagan won the 1984 election in a landslide.

Had I gotten a whiff of the reference when I read your comment I would have saved myself some trouble. As a side note, it wasn't before my time - I played the role of Dukakis in a mock 88' election debate in school.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The last line was a cultural reference to a line Lloyd Bentsen used in a V.P. debate with Dan Quayle in the 1988 Presidential campaign when Quayle tried to equate himself with JFK.

"Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy." (Prolonged shouts and applause.)

Sorry if that was before your time.

So as Ronald Reagan once said in a debate with Walter Mondale (who had spent many years as a Washington insider in the U.S. Senate when Reagan, as a former two term governor of California, had never held national office) when he was asked by a moderator if his advanced age should be a consideration for voters: "I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience." When Mondale guffawed with the audience at Reagan's sense of humor and deadpan delivery there was never any doubt from that point on who would win. Reagan won the 1984 election in a landslide.

Note that that debate occurred when Reagan was trying to be RE elected; so he had more experience in national office than former VP Mondale did, at that point.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Note that that debate occurred when Reagan was trying to be RE elected; so he had more experience in national office than former VP Mondale did, at that point.

True with regard to re-election in 1984, but one of several things Mondale (who had twenty-plus years as a Senator and VP in Washington at that point compared to Reagan's three and one-half years in Washington as President) was basing his campaign on were accusations that Reagan did not understand how Congress worked which was why, according to the Democrats, his first term was such a "disaster".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
True, but one of several things Mondale was basing his campaign on were accusations that Reagan did not understand how Congress worked which was why, according to the Democrats, his first term was such a "disaster".
Quayle was on the ticket with Bush, not Reagan. Bush was Vice President for both of Reagan's terms.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I have an uneducated guess how they’re going to cripple the R6: C-log.
I think the R and RP are placeholders for the R5 and R6 and that the differentiator is going to be C-log and 10 bit external recording, just like with the R and RP.
R5: full prosumer/professional options incl.C-log and 10 bit external recording.
R6: great internal 8 bit video camera without C-log for vloggers/Youtubers etc who don’t want to engage in color grading and stuff but just get a good to go image straight out of the camera.

If that’s the case, then I’m buying an R. I don’t have R5 moneyzzz unfortunately.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Quayle was on the ticket with Bush, not Reagan. Bush was Vice President for both of Reagan's terms.

Two different quotes from two different elections.

"You're no JFK" was from the 1988 election.

"I refuse to exploit my opponent's youth and inexperience..." was from the 1984 election.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

As far as experience in a national office, any seat in Congress is considered a national office.

Mondale's twelve-plus years in the U.S. Senate (December 30, 1964 when he was appointed to replace Hubert Humphrey who was elected Vice President with President LBJ - Mondale then won elections to hold that seat in 1966 and 1972 - until his inauguration as U.S. Vice President in January, 1977) as well as his four years serving as Jimmy Carter's Vice President from January 1977 until January 1981 was a little over sixteen years in national office compared to Reagan's less than four as of the date of the debate in question.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
As far as experience in a national office, any seat in Congress is considered a national office.

Mondale's twelve-plus years in the U.S. Senate (December 30, 1964 when he was appointed to replace Hubert Humphrey who was elected Vice President with President LBJ - Mondale then won elections to hold that seat in 1966 and 1972 - until his inauguration as U.S. Vice President in January, 1977) as well as his four years serving as Jimmy Carter's Vice President from January 1977 until January 1981 was a little over sixteen years in national office compared to Reagan's less than four as of the date of the debate in question.

Yes, but legislative and executive work are very different things. Mondale had experience as a senator, but was running to be President. He had zero years at that, Reagan had 3 1/2 at the time.

It's extremely rare for a senator or congressman to be elected president. And when they are, it's basically because they ran against another-legislative-only candidate. 2008, of course, was a contest between two senators, so a senator had to win, but go back...legislators rarely win against governors. The voting public can be very stupid, but it understands this, apparently.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yes, but legislative and executive work are very different things. Mondale had experience as a senator, but was running to be President. He had zero years at that, Reagan had 3 1/2 at the time.

It's extremely rare for a senator or congressman to be elected president. And when they are, it's basically because they ran against another-legislative-only candidate. 2008, of course, was a contest between two senators, so a senator had to win, but go back...legislators rarely win against governors. The voting public can be very stupid, but it understands this, apparently.

Mondale had also been Vice President of the United States from January 1977 to January 1981. That's longer than Reagan had been President at the time of the debate in late 1984..

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Mondale had also been Vice President of the United States from January 1977 to January 1981. That's longer than Reagan had been President at the time of the debate in late 1984..

I had totally forgotten that.

But compare the quality of experience, VP versus President for almost the same amount of time.

A sitting VP has a huge advantage over someone who has never been anything but a congresscritter--but not over a president.

Upvote 0
Yes. I think it's a mistake to try to equate this with either the R or the RP. My guess is that the RP stays in the lineup as the bargain full frame mirrorless. The R6 is somewhat comparable to the 6D and the R5 to the 5D. Canon may keep the R in production for awhile as an option that is slightly below the R6 in pricepoint.
I can easily see Canon keeping all 4 mirrorless cameras in the line up. Rp $999, R $1,499, R6 $2,499 and R5 $3,499

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
IBIS, dual card slot, 4K60 to name a few.
Also 12 mechanical shutter and 20 electronic frames per second, action photography levels.
I *think* I would probably rather have the 30 MP of the R, as nice as the other features may be ... and all the more so if the R is cheaper. Of course, we don't really know much at all about the R6 at this stage. Will be interesting to learn more about it in due course.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I *think* I would probably rather have the 30 MP of the R, as nice as the other features may be ... and all the more so if the R is cheaper. Of course, we don't really know much at all about the R6 at this stage. Will be interesting to learn more about it in due course.
Canon may well keep the R on the market for quite a while because of its sensor and because it is a good camera. It looks to me like the R6 is geared more toward action photography, video, and maybe low light (IBIS and the larger pixels of the 20 mp sensor). The two card slots may be important for professionals and others who want to have redundancy.

Upvote 0