A little bit more about the upcoming Canon EOS R6 [CR2]

It seems confusing but we don’t have all the info
If the AF is along the lines of the R5 then it will be better

I really don’t think the R and RP are long lasting products. The R release seemed rushed with old parts. Maybe canons newer products will show us their real roadmap.
perhaps a full frame rebel equivalent for the low end, the 6, the 5, the 1 and a high megapixel

maybe the R and RP are the ones that won’t fit in?

Not entirely sure the R6 will draw many purchasers away from the already available "R" that has 30mp unless their primary use is video. I see the faster shutter speed, the dual card slots, the 60fps 4K, all sound exciting... but to step down to 20mp... as a still shooter that would be a tough sell.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Really looking forward to picking up a used R for under $1k. I have no interest in the R6 because I have a guess they are sticking some variant of the original 6d sensor in it.

Given the 20mp pixel count to accommodate IBIS, using the existing RP 26.2mp sensor would make a lot of sense from an economy of scale point of view.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It seems confusing but we don’t have all the info
If the AF is along the lines of the R5 then it will be better

I really don’t think the R and RP are long lasting products. The R release seemed rushed with old parts. Maybe canons newer products will show us their real roadmap.
perhaps a full frame rebel equivalent for the low end, the 6, the 5, the 1 and a high megapixel

maybe the R and RP are the ones that won’t fit in?

Very likely. Personally I love the R enough that I replaced my 5D4 and 6D2 with two of them. Haven't regretted it a moment.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Great point! I think a new sensor technology with better low-light performance, improved dynamic range, and you forgot about IBIS!

Oh, that is true... I did forget about IBIS on that... but all my current lenses have IS, so for my own concerns that's not an enormous concern... but would be enticing.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Wee keep debating this camera and I still don´t understand were to put it. It seems Canon is trying to make like the A7 III from Sony, witch means, a great but more affordable camera, with great specs but some differences from the big brother, in this case the R5. At this point and thinking like this...Absolutely agree with Canon perspective!

So, what is making us a bit confused...:

- The low MP...It seems quite low MP to a small brother, specially if we compare the EOS R (30mp) and the EOS RP (26MP). This could confuse costumers, however we need to start looking to MP in the right way! If you are a traveler, or a vlogger, if you put your photos in social media and specially if you don't print your photos, then Why should you need more than 20/30MP? Sure you guys will say...."Ohhhh because of the crop!" "Ohhh because of the image quality...." Ok and I agree, so get an R5. It will have the extra MP you want.

- The video specs...If Canon is making a more affordable camera...Then....wow, making a 4k60fps it seems quite huge! I would expect a 4k30 max if this camera would be staying between the RP and the R. Having those video specs, we can assume that no....This camera will be above the EOS R.

- The lack of the Top LCD....And then....Canon takes off the top LCD showing that this one is an entry level, like the EOS RP. But on the other hand it gives us Dual cards!!!

So we have the things a bit messed up here between a top prosumer below the EOS R5 and a consumer camera just near EOS RP.

Assuming that Canon will make this body a video oriented one...I don´t think so because the lack of the 4K120fps would be a drawback, unless they can unleash the possibility of external recording with this feature.

So....In my thoughts i do believe that Canon R6 will be a new segment of cameras from the R sistem aimed to travelers, vloggers, youtube content creators. With significant video capabilities, and a 20mp sensor that can deliver great image quality. And this makes even more sense if you believe in the rumor that Canon will launch soon the High megapixel camera, for who the MP really counts.

You will have:

- EOS R5 - The one that makes everything, from video to photo!
- EOS R6 - Great camera for video and photo (aimed to vloggers, wedding videographers and photographers, street photo)
- EOS R1 - Wildlife and sports oriented camera with less video specs. (maybe a bit increase in MP)
- EOS R3(??) - A HIGH MP camera with less video specs aimed to landscape, studio/portrait comercial photo.

Definitely....We will have a HUGE 2020 - If corona virus will permit.....

Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
You will have:

- EOS R5 - The one that makes everything, from video to photo!
- EOS R6 - Great camera for video and photo (aimed to vloggers, wedding videographers and photographers, street photo)
- EOS R1 - Wildlife and sports oriented camera with less video specs. (maybe a bit increase in MP)
- EOS R3(??) - A HIGH MP camera with less video specs aimed to landscape, studio/portrait comercial photo.

Definitely....We will have a HUGE 2020 - If corona virus will permit.....

Then you will have many broke photographers due to covid-19 who can't afford to replace their camera bodies and lenses for a good while... Pros already see the impact on their business and I foresee another 6 to 8 weeks before it starts to slowly picking up again! Similarly, many enthusiast photographers will have lost significant income due to covid-19 and that will impact camera sales. Not a good time to launch new products unfortunately! :-(

Upvote 0
Then you will have many broke photographers due to covid-19 who can't afford to replace their camera bodies and lenses for a good while... Pros already see the impact on their business and I foresee another 6 to 8 weeks before it starts to slowly picking up again! Similarly, many enthusiast photographers will have lost significant income due to covid-19 and that will impact camera sales. Not a good time to launch new products unfortunately! :-(

I am feeling already! I am about to loose around 5/6k in the next 2 months....I hope the works can be re-scheduled after this crisis...I hope in July things are much more calm, we expect the peak in May (I live in Portugal) and now we are with strong security measurements and everyone is at home...

Definitely not the best time in the world to launch....but yet...we hope this will be over soon. I do expect however that Canon sales will be lower in 2nd quarter eve if they launch this cameras in June and July and they will recover in the 4th quarter.

If I can sell some of my existing gear I will be able to replace it for the EOS R5 without need to invest...Unless the R5 will cost 7000€....I guess we just need to wait and see what future brings.... :(

Upvote 0

AdmiralFwiffo

Terrible photographer
Feb 17, 2020
Any "real" camera on the market right now is still terrible for social media because you can't post to social media from the camera. Even if you can transfer directly to your phone, that's still an unnecessary inconvenience. Can you imagine if you took a picture with your phone, then had to load it onto your computer to edit and post it on Instagram?

So it's not a social media camera. Vlogger camera, maybe if they come out with some smaller/cheaper lenses.

So these specs seem somewhat odd to me given the segment it needs to fit in:
  • Lower quality build (makes sense)
  • Lower quality EVF (makes sense)
  • No top-down LCD or other do-dads (makes sense)
  • IBIS (great!)
  • High frame rate (what? This is where it makes sense to cut...)
  • Less video specs, but still good (makes sense)
  • Dual card slots (very strange, that's a pro feature and can't be cheap, they should absolutely cut here)
  • 20mp (Wha? At least match the RP? It can't come in both above and below the RP at the same time)

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Great point! I think a new sensor technology with better low-light performance, improved dynamic range, and you forgot about IBIS!
IBIS is the draw. That's your big upgrade over the RP for sure. Plus we still dont have any idea about the pricing. It may well be the RP replacement. If it comes in at $1000-$1200 then we have our answer. 20 vs 24 MP isn't all that big a deal. Between the two, I'd much prefer 20MP with IBIS vs 24 without

Upvote 0
20 MP is wonderfull and may bring great High ISO results. But a lower EVF resolution than R5 does mean what? The R5 EVFs resolution was nowhere specified yet as far I remember. And I hope the R5 will get the new high end standard EVF with 5 760 000 dots/1.920.000‬ pixel like Sonys a7 R4, while R6 might get the old "R"s A7 R III/a9/a9II one with 1,228,800 pixel resolution only.

2 Card slots sounds good anyway. I do not care about a top screen. But what about a scrollwheel/joystick? They both would be important to me.

Ralph

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Any "real" camera on the market right now is still terrible for social media because you can't post to social media from the camera. Even if you can transfer directly to your phone, that's still an unnecessary inconvenience. Can you imagine if you took a picture with your phone, then had to load it onto your computer to edit and post it on Instagram?

So it's not a social media camera. Vlogger camera, maybe if they come out with some smaller/cheaper lenses.

• IBIS (great!)
  • Dual card slots (very strange, that's a pro feature and can't be cheap, they should absolutely cut here)
  • 20mp (Wha? At least match the RP? It can't come in both above and below the RP at the same time)

The only thing I disagree with here is the lower quality EVF. The R6, R5, and R1 should settle on one amazing EVF and push this to be the standard for all manufactures. It might be a pipe dream due to it being an expensive part. But I strongly believe this should be the one thing Canon should not compromise on when putting out their new bodies.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

• IBIS (great!)

Maybe Dual card slots are a pro feature. But why it should be expensive? Those electronic parts are produced in numbers of millions and should not be more expensive than a couple of $. Why a company should cut here? That they all have been stupid the last two decades must not mean they should go on beeing stupid the coming ones.

:cool:

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
If these specs are true, I don't understand who this camera is for.

Can it replace the RP? It has fewer megapixels, which from a marketing standpoint, looks weird as hell.
Does it replace the 6D? Again, fewer megapixels, also, dual slots, and the 6D series doesn't typically have those.
Is it a video-centric camera? Sources say "no."

I don't know what to make of this :confused:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0