A new camera not named the R1 is coming in the 2nd half of 2021 [CR2]

ctk

Refurb EOS R Kit
Mar 25, 2020
Three years after its initial release, it would be great.

Just take the EOS R and give it:
- slight bump in MP, about 32-34 MP
- 10 FPS with full auto-focus
- maybe IBIS (depending on pricing)
- Joystick, no Touch Bar (although I like the Touch Bar...)
- one extra customizable Button (I'm always missing one )

And yes, I know there won't be an "EOS R Mark II", but I honestly believe that there will be a successor with a different naming scheme. RP and R don't fit in with R5/ R6 and the upcoming R1
I think the sensor will have to stay the same to save costs. I'm fine with that... 34MP is only a 6% bump in linear resolution; nobody will be able to see that. For me the only real must haves are the current IQ + MPs, the same body size/grip/EVF and IBIS.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
While I love the R and think it is an incredible value, I doubt if Canon will update it. I'd still take the R over the R6 any day.
Canon kind of complicated the situation with their nomenclature.
There will not be an R Mark II but there is too big of a gap between R6 and R5.
Maybe call it R6S which would be an R6 with 30 MP.
It would cost more than the R and R6.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm fine with that... 34MP is only a 6% bump in linear resolution; nobody will be able to see that.
Yes, you're right about saving costs.
I also agree on no noticeable difference between 30 and 34 MP. But 34 MP would mean there would be 13,2 MP in crop mode instead of the current 11,7 MP which is an increase of nearly 10%. With low MP numbers I think the increase is noticeable. That's why I actually wished for the slight bump

EOS 4 life said:
There will not be an R Mark II but there is too big of a gap between R6 and R5
With no EOS R Mark II (or different named successor) there is an even bigger gap between the RP (or successor) and the R6. Since an below 1.000 $ entry level body is absolutely needed, there is a huge need for an EOS R Mark II. The naming will change though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
There will be someday a R6 Mark II with 28MP and a R5 Mark II with 60MP and so on, I don't think they continue again the R or RP. Why "support" both names? Then they easily name the R5 also a Rs for higher Megapixel. No, they decide to go back to a number...
So R7, R1, R5s, R5a or maybe a R9 will come...

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
With no EOS R Mark II (or different named successor) there is an even bigger gap between the RP (or successor) and the R6. Since an below 1.000 $ entry level body is absolutely needed, there is a huge need for an EOS R Mark II. The naming will change though.
The RP does leave Canon with a lot of available names.
There could be an RP5, RP6, RP10, RP100, etc.
The R7 is supposed to be APS-C.
If Canon does that then it does not leave them a lot of room for full-frame mirrorless models starting with only the letter R followed by a number.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
While I agree with the need for something that fits a price point between the RP and the R6, I'm not sure how Canon fills that gap. In my dream world, they would build on the R, keeping it at a single SD slot with no IBIS, and essentially keep the same ergonomics, but without the bar thingy, which would allow for better button placement. Improve things like autofocus, viewfinder lag and overall viewfinder experience. Perhaps by keeping it a single slot with no IBIS, they would feel there is enough differentiation between the R6 and the R.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
While I agree with the need for something that fits a price point between the RP and the R6, I'm not sure how Canon fills that gap. In my dream world, they would build on the R, keeping it at a single SD slot with no IBIS, and essentially keep the same ergonomics, but without the bar thingy, which would allow for better button placement. Improve things like autofocus, viewfinder lag and overall viewfinder experience. Perhaps by keeping it a single slot with no IBIS, they would feel there is enough differentiation between the R6 and the R.
I envision an R line with IBIS and an RP line without IBIS but Canon understandable does not care what I envision.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
I keep wondering, if it were an R7, what would it have that would be a big step up from an R5? More fps isn't a big great ask (do we need more than is in the R5 or R6? Lower MP? Not sure how much that really matters (20 vs 45, as 30...does that really give us anything?) Any ideas on what an R7 might bring besides a crop sensor?

I would think the high resolution R would be most likely. Bummed about no R1, but it gives me more time to save.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
An R5 with disabled video function would be exciting for me (although given up on ever seeing eye-controlled focus making a comeback!)..

...the R3?
Agree!
I'm still looking for an improbable way to disable the video function on my EOS R. Help would be greatly appreciated.
(Sometimes, I switch it on by inadvertence).

Upvote 0
Due to COVID-19 related parts supply issues, release dates are unpredictable. The auto industry is reportedly being hit by a worldwide semiconductor shortage. I don't know what other industries are impacted by that.
Shortages are also impacting network equipment deliveries

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Canon kind of complicated the situation with their nomenclature.
There will not be an R Mark II but there is too big of a gap between R6 and R5.
Maybe call it R6S which would be an R6 with 30 MP.
It would cost more than the R and R6.
High Resolution Camera Body

100 Megapixels or Close

We haven't had an Upgrade for
Six Long Years !!

If NO Canon 5Ds or RS by
Mid July 2021

I will give ALL my Money to
Fuji GFX 100s System

I Promise
Buh-bye

Upvote 0
Sounds realistic, although a few improvements as a selling such as higher FPS. Without IBIS and Dual Slot they should be able to price it at around 1.800-1.900 $ with a slight drop in the future.

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
IDK why Canon is waiting so long to complete the RF system.... I can't understand it!
This drip feeding politics sucks!

They could easily go into a R7 near by the R6 & R5! Also a RII with Ibis and still 30MP and a bumb in fps! -> then there is still a 1DXIII like R6 with 20MP and a HighMP R5!!! Workhorses who needs it.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
What really excites me is the talk of a R body with Quad Pixel AF so that horizontal lines can be instantly AF'd just as well as vertical lines - It will make AF much better than the already great (but not perfect) AF system in the R5. And an EVF with a bigger apparent view (higher magnification) and more pixels and higher frame rate as well as a bigger and higher resolution back LCD and a more thoughtfully organized menu system (listening to user input) would be major improvements. A global shutter with wide range of user specified FPS rates would be a very major improvement, as would an integrated ND filter and GPS tagging. There's so many things here that can be improved that I hope they come out with a camera doing that (or some of that). If they only just double the MP count up to 80-90MP then I wouldn't be all that excited unless they also add some of the other improvements mentioned here.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0