A new EOS R system camera is coming in January [CR2]

Jul 21, 2010
Now that the R3 announcement hoopla is over, maybe we can get back to something more affordable; the new "R" system camera rumored for January.
A full frame where the R stands for ‘Rebel’. Likely of little positive interest to many in this forum, and likely to sell like hotcakes. With such a camera, Canon will remain as d00med as ever.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2020
Touchscreen camera. No buttons.
That would certainly stir up the fan boys. Eliminating buttons and knobs could reduce cost. It's not something that would interest me, but perhaps there wound be a market for such a camera if the price was low enough. However, the size of the RF mount and existing lenses would preclude a small kit.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
That would certainly stir up the fan boys. Eliminating buttons and knobs could reduce cost. It's not something that would interest me, but perhaps there wound be a market for such a camera if the price was low enough. However, the size of the RF mount and existing lenses would preclude a small kit.
I feel it would be better suited for the EF-M mount but I do think it is a great idea.
People learn photography on smart phones now.
It would be a great way to acclimate people to the Canon system.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
just give us a R5 with no record limit, no overheating, no more stupid low quality 4K, dual card recording for video all the way to 8k and we're good, no need to reinvent the wheel here, the R5 already have 90% of the work done, the card slots thing is absolutely nothing to change, the record limit is a software limit and the overheating obviously can be solved with active cooling
if we could get a dual power thingy for the auto focus lenses like the R3 that would be perfect, would preorder right off the bat and drop an extra 1k bucks over the R5 for those things, as simple as that

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
By Canon standards 2021 will go down as a low year with the the announcement and release of one camera in the R lineup namely the R3. The low end of the system is now old by today standards and the wallet friendly cameras that get you into a system sorely missing altogether. This surely must be one of Canon priorities in 2022.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
By Canon standards 2021 will go down as a low year with the the announcement and release of one camera in the R lineup namely the R3. The low end of the system is now old by today standards and the wallet friendly cameras that get you into a system sorely missing altogether. This surely must be one of Canon priorities in 2022.
I agree. With the R3, R5 and R6, Canon has the upper level cameras very well covered, but the lower end models no longer stack up well against Nikon's offerings, in my opinion. While I liked the R, after I had a chance to use the Nikon Z5, I sold the R (and got more than I payed for the Z5). When I saw a good deal on a used Z7 I bought that, too. The cost for the two Nikons was about equal to the cost of a new R6. I know that - on the internet anyway and with the influencers - Nikon seems to be ignored or looked at negatively, but for someone who the R5 is just beyond their budget, I would totally recommend them. The RP does not compare well with the Z5. The RP, with it's older sensor tech, single card slot, no IBIS is a nice camera, but the better IQ of the Z5, with it's better sensor, is really quite noticeable. Similar comparisons can be made with the Canon R and the Nikon Z6, with the exception of the sensor IQ, which, in my opinion, is still slightly better with the Nikon, but probably not enough of a difference to matter.

I still have Canon glass, so I might be interested in lower priced Canon models moving forward, especially if they do bring out an APS-C camera which I would then pair with the new RF 100-400mm. The lightness of that lens totally interests me, but not so much on a FF camera. There are still things I like better about Canon (the articulating screen, the dust removal and curtain, the better AF) so I will be interested in what they do moving forward.

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
My prediction: a retro-styled camera to bite off Fuji's market share and compete with the a7C and ZFC. Think Canon AE1 design but digital. Nothing annoys fanboys more than form over function.
Oh man... Talk dirty to me... I learned on an AE1, and a fun small camera with an RF mount I can put a small 35mm on would be an amazing walk around camera.

Upvote 0