A new EOS R system camera is coming in January [CR2]

Jul 21, 2010
That may just be a poor choice of words. I think he is referring to the R series as a "system" and saying that a new R camera is coming to the system. Model or series might have been a better term.
Yes. “An EOS R system camera,” meaning a camera that’s part of the EOS R system, i.e., not an EOS M series camera or a DSLR, not a Cinema EOS camera, and not something brand new with a unique new lens mount.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Perhaps it's a camera with Canon's 1mp SPAD sensor which will be able to photograph a black cat in near total darkness , can auto focus at LV-15 , iso range from iso 100 up to iso 1,000,000,000,000
Handy for photographing bats in caves.
EOS - R zero
RRP $1,000,000
While I doubt it would be very controversial, it would make sense for Canon to use the RF mount for specialty cameras going forward.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Well no diss to those who do video but I think there's still a really big photography only market out there but the hybrid/video shooters are a lot more vocal.
The people who claim every camera should have 10-bit 4:2:2 uncropped 4K at 60 FPS do not seem to realize that there are people who do not use video at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Very true and I wonder how well the RP sold and if Canon would have any useful data on what features of it was used most, such as 90% of owners not touching video for example. The DF was high priced and also had the vintage look so that could have easily played into the sales too. I'd definitely buy one as well but maybe one day...
The RP is still in the top 50 on Amazon and the top 20 on B & H.
Most RP owners that I have come across are happy with 1080p video.
The problem Canon runs into is adding uncropped 4K without significantly increasing cost.
It is a hole that Sony exploits but a lot of people do not want to deal with 4K and don't really need it.
IMHO the M6 II is not a proper upgrade from the M50 and there is nowhere to go from the 90d except for the 1DX II.
In a fair and just world there would be an M5 II and a 6D III.

Upvote 0
Finally we will get the High Resolution Landscape / Studio Body
So many of us have been waiting for since the launch of the 5ds/r

way back in early 2015

I hope this has a great implementation of the pixel shift function And some other innovative Features such as auto focus bracketing And auto exposure bracketing

Hopefully the new 24mm and ultrawide
RF tilt shift lenses Will be Breathtakingly Sharp and well designed

Let's hope Canon updates this high Res body on a more frequent basis than every 7 years !!!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Nah. The way it'd work is that you still have to pay full price to get it, and *then* a monthly fee to keep it working, or to maintain some key functionality. Maybe it won't have memory cards at all but lots of built-in flash, but you can't upload photos to anywhere but Canon's site that costs...
I never thought about that.
Canon could pull some GoPro subscription BS.
It did seem to work pretty well for GoPro.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
+1

-It doesn't have enough MP, useless for landscape and studio photography
-It has too many MP, so it's useless in low light and will be full of noise
-It doesn't have fast enough FPS, action photographers won't buy it
-It has too high FPS, so it will take days to sort through bazillions of images
-It has too many video features - going to cost too much for features stills only people don't need
-It doesn't have enough video features - hybrid shooters won't buy it because they'll still need a dedicated video cam

If it's an R7 type crop, the "there's no reason to have a crop sensor in R system" fanboys will yell
If it's a high res R5s type camera, the "low MP count has superior low-light and low noise" folks will scream
If it's the sub $1K FF cam, the "why did they leave out THIS or THAT feature which I use so everyone needs it" crowd will holler
If it's a video focused R5c type cam, the "Canon has forgotten us photographers again" crowd will be in an uproar
No matter what it is, the "Canon has lost their way, I'm jumping ship to Sony" crew will come out in droves...

So yeah, anyway, what I want is an R5s type camera, so that's obviously what most people want and clearly will be Canon's next release after the R3. ;)

I think you forgot "It's too big and heavy"
"It's too small"

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2015
Let's hope Canon updates this high Res body on a more frequent basis than every 7 years !!!
Not only that. Even when it came out (the 5DSR) it was more or less based on a 2012 body. They didn't really change much from the 5d mk III, except for the sensor and processor. So even when I bought it, I felt it was kind of behind the times. I love the resolution, but the camera would sure benefit from some newer technologies.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Nah. The way it'd work is that you still have to pay full price to get it, and *then* a monthly fee to keep it working, or to maintain some key functionality. Maybe it won't have memory cards at all but lots of built-in flash, but you can't upload photos to anywhere but Canon's site that costs...
Oh like Adobe.....something we all are outraged over yet still use. Hmmmmmm

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
Most folx aren't into forums, we are a minority
For sure, none of my friends use them and I'm the only one lol.
The people who claim every camera should have 10-bit 4:2:2 uncropped 4K at 60 FPS do not seem to realize that there are people who do not use video at all.
I think it comes from the stance that if you do paid work you need to do both as many clients want both but just like what you said, not everyone does paid work either and many do it for fun (like myself).
The RP is still in the top 50 on Amazon and the top 20 on B & H.
Most RP owners that I have come across are happy with 1080p video.
The problem Canon runs into is adding uncropped 4K without significantly increasing cost.
It is a hole that Sony exploits but a lot of people do not want to deal with 4K and don't really need it.
IMHO the M6 II is not a proper upgrade from the M50 and there is nowhere to go from the 90d except for the 1DX II.
In a fair and just world there would be an M5 II and a 6D III.
For sure and you can’t please everyone since each person has different needs from their camera. I actually went from the M5 to the M50 Mark II and although build wise it isn’t an upgrade, AF wise it’s night and day better.
I think the processor was really the main issue with in cropped 4K (which Canon had said in interviews was an issue) but say for example there was a RP Mark II, I would expect it to be able to do that using the Digic X even if there’s a Digic 11 by then.

Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Oh like Adobe.....something we all are outraged over yet still use. Hmmmmmm

Plus you have to use DPP software to process all your files o_O !

Upvote 0