A new EOS R system camera is coming in January [CR2]

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Going by what I've read on these forums, the things people seem to not like the most are 20MP sensors, the idea of a APS-C RF and a camera focused on video. I think it could be a 24MP APS-C RF, or a 20MP entry-level Full frame RF. Or perhaps it will have the tilt screen like the M5.
Yep and a pop up flash and a rangefinder ovf

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
As someone suggested, it will run Android. Furthermore, it is the model that Canon aims to strike back at the mobile phone industry. Weight will be at least 2 kg (4 lb + ), and it will have a dual grip, it will also have full phone functionality. Aimed at professionals, who think that the phones are not sturdy enough and hard to hold.

Upvote 0

Fotofriend

EOS R
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
‘Controversial’ only makes me think of the rumored RF mount APS-C camera(s), especially since that also immediately brings back the question about the future of the EF-M system, which already has been vegetating in an unclear state for a looong time. “Double breaking news” would would be the discontinuation of the M system in addition to the new camera.
I guess I‘ll never get my M5 mark II, but hey, maybe something better is coming…? just a SMALL alternative please like the current M’s (and with a real built in viewfinder!), I already have big EOS R - gear…. :)

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Perhaps it's a camera with Canon's 1mp SPAD sensor which will be able to photograph a black cat in near total darkness , can auto focus at LV-15 , iso range from iso 100 up to iso 1,000,000,000,000
Handy for photographing bats in caves at night
EOS - R zero
RRP $1,000,000

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sub $1000 FF body with no video at all, TAKE MY MONEY!!!
This! I own a 5D classic. The new R3 BSI sensor, bare minimum to make it the best photography only camera. But I guess such a niche product would not be possible now when everyone wants video also and not a separate device for that purpose.

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
This! I own a 5D classic. The new R3 BSI sensor, bare minimum to make it the best photography only camera. But I guess such a niche product would not be possible now when everyone wants video also and not a separate device for that purpose.
Well no diss to those who do video but I think there's still a really big photography only market out there but the hybrid/video shooters are a lot more vocal. I noticed when Gordon Laing first did his "Photography Only" reviews they were REALLY popular and people wanted more. There's also a huge market of photographers who aren't really into forums or the gear discussion that just shoot and that's it.

I think if you look at higher end gear then you won't find as many people who would be willing to spend the money on an R3 just for stills and a C500 just for video (just an example) whereas if you are talking lower end gear, then buy a video orientated and photo orientated camera for cheaper than what a R6/R would cost wouldn't seem as crazy.

Upvote 0
Well no diss to those who do video but I think there's still a really big photography only market out there but the hybrid/video shooters are a lot more vocal. I noticed when Gordon Laing first did his "Photography Only" reviews they were REALLY popular and people wanted more. There's also a huge market of photographers who aren't really into forums or the gear discussion that just shoot and that's it.

I think if you look at higher end gear then you won't find as many people who would be willing to spend the money on an R3 just for stills and a C500 just for video (just an example) whereas if you are talking lower end gear, then buy a video orientated and photo orientated camera for cheaper than what a R6/R would cost wouldn't seem as crazy.
Such a camera would already be available if there was demand - Canon knows their market. Nikon tried it years ago with the Df DSLR and it flopped but the price was set high. Would a 800 usd or lower FF photo only camera be a seller or a bust? Unfortunately, my guess would be the latter but I would buy it immediately.

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
Such a camera would already be available if there was demand - Canon knows their market. Nikon tried it years ago with the Df DSLR and it flopped but the price was set high. Would a 800 usd or lower FF photo only camera be a seller or a bust? Unfortunately, my guess would be the latter but I would buy it immediately.
Very true and I wonder how well the RP sold and if Canon would have any useful data on what features of it was used most, such as 90% of owners not touching video for example. The DF was high priced and also had the vintage look so that could have easily played into the sales too. I'd definitely buy one as well but maybe one day...

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013

Most folx aren't into forums, we are a minority.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
If they released a RP without an EVF but it had CLOG it would be very nice.
A sub $1,000 FF camera is also good for RF.
APS-H camera would tells us they are at least interested in continuing the 7D line in mirrorless and make a lot of people happy.
A Powershot compact camera with stacked 1" sensor and internal ND could possibly be interesting to some people...

But my money is on...a R5a that would trigger the most people since they discontinued the Ra recently.

Upvote 0

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
This is the most forward thinking option. Instead of a $2000 body you keep for three years and sell for $1000, (or 3x if you prefer pro), why not a $40/month ($120/month pro) body on a lease contract, with generous options to send back to upgrade to something newer and better?
Nah. The way it'd work is that you still have to pay full price to get it, and *then* a monthly fee to keep it working, or to maintain some key functionality. Maybe it won't have memory cards at all but lots of built-in flash, but you can't upload photos to anywhere but Canon's site that costs...

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The post says this is 'a system'.
That may just be a poor choice of words. I think he is referring to the R series as a "system" and saying that a new R camera is coming to the system. Model or series might have been a better term.

Upvote 0