A new EOS R system camera is coming in January [CR2]

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
My serious guesses:
1. Touch pad shutter button (as described in a patent which surfaced months ago).
2. a retro style camera with old tech
3. A super affordable, small FF body with no EVF
4. A camera with built-in
machine based image editing (like in SP) to compete with apple, Samsung, Huawei etc

I really think all three options are actually possible. I figure that No 1 would be the most controversial because I really changes the way we/ one take(s) a picture.
No 4 would be considered “controversial” altough it basically would simply transfer the technique most people take images with to a DSLM.
I like #3. Like the Sigma. Minimal size weight and cost full frame.

But #2 is fun.

Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
A camera you can't buy; only subscribe to.
This is the most forward thinking option. Instead of a $2000 body you keep for three years and sell for $1000, (or 3x if you prefer pro), why not a $40/month ($120/month pro) body on a lease contract, with generous options to send back to upgrade to something newer and better?

That odd patent application model with the odd grip pass-though is another possibility.

I was looking at the AE-1 days ago as I admired the Nikon retro versions. I think that would be ideal, and maybe brand it AE-1 with "Digital" where it said "Program". And style an EF adapter to make it look right with vintage lenses. Definitely produce a vintage style RF lens, maybve based on the RF 50 1.8, and a kit zoom.

Upvote 0

Kit Chan

EOS M6 II
Sep 7, 2020
APSC RF would annoy me as someone who has been getting into photography with the M line and would like an update to the M6 MK2 with EFCS and better 4k video that doesn't require I throw out and replace the lenses I already forked out on.

But I gather M users are in the minority so we're probably not who is going to be annoyed.

Maybe it will be a new RF-M mount camera which can work with EF-M lenses. That'd annoy the fanboys wanting Canon to ditch having separate mounts.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
EOS R5c. No big secret. With active cooling full size HDMI connector, and the identical 45mp sensor of the R5.
Nothing controversial about this though as it's a cinema camera and people like me who mostly shoot stills have nothing to complain about other than Canon doesn't make a more stills dedicated version as well

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
APSC RF would annoy me as someone who has been getting into photography with the M line and would like an update to the M6 MK2 with EFCS and better 4k video that doesn't require I throw out and replace the lenses I already forked out on.

But I gather M users are in the minority so we're probably not who is going to be annoyed.

Maybe it will be a new RF-M mount camera which can work with EF-M lenses. That'd annoy the fanboys wanting Canon to ditch having separate mounts.
Well the M6 mark ii is only 2 years old so how soon do you expect Canon to update it ? M users are hardly a minority as it's a very big selling line up.
My 7D mark ii is 7 years old and no sign of an update yet.
I had hoped for an aps-c R7 but it seems doubtful now and I've pretty much given up on it.
Can't see how EF-M lenses could be adapted to the R mount unless they made an R camera with a sensor that moves forward and backward 2mm and also has a way of adapting the different mounts which seems extremely unlikely.
Perhaps Canon will make 3 different aps-c cameras for the R mount:
  1. An R7 with a substantial body based on the R6 and priced about the same or a bit lower than the R6
  2. An R-s body that's super compact with similar internals to the R6 and priced as above.
  3. An R2 with a body based on the R3 and priced similar to the R5. (Very unlikely but what a dream camera !)
Don't expect any RF-s lenses though and I doubt any of these aps-c R bodies will appear as Canon seems content for Sony , Nikon and Fujifilm to take these customers.

The ''Full Frame is the only acceptable Canon format" crowd will whine like crazy if any of these cameras are released :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0