Advice on P&S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I have been asked by a friend of mine for advice on a P&S system, and which to buy. Unfortunately, I know nothing about what cameras are good outside of DSLRs, so I am at a loss for what to recommend, and I don't even know where to begin looking on this forum.

She did give me what kind of features she is looking for, and a $300 price ceiling. I don't think that all of her demands will be met (at all), but I am hoping to at least point her in the right direction with features.

She wants a camera that is decent in low light, and has a decent zoom to get her closer to birds "and other pretty things". She has a basic background in photography from back in the day, so she wants to be able to use the camera on fully manual if possible. She also has two younger kids and a couple of cats, so I'm sure those will be her subjects often. She isn't really thinking about prints, so high MPs aren't a requirement.

I hope this is enough information for suggestions!

Thanks!

Jul 21, 2010
I'd have a look at the SX50 HS (review). It's a bit over the price stated, but meets the needs - long zoom, decent low light, manual controls, and shoots RAW (if your friend wants to put time into post processing).

Else, consider an S100 - large sensor for a P&S, decent in low light, pocketable (but only 120mm FF-equivalent).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
eagles03 said:
I initially thought of the SX50 also, but that was outside of her price range. She has found a used SX40 online that I think she wants to purchase. It doesn't quite have the range of the SX50, but it also comes with an external flash and stays within her budget.

Makes sense. Personally, shooting RAW is one of my criteria (the SX50 does, the SX40 does not, AFAIK), but it's certainly not important to everyone.

I think if she really wants to shoot birds, an S100 or G-series won't be nearly long enough.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

As compacts go, I'm reasonably happy with my sx230, certainly in good light at least.

It's not going to replace my DSLR, but has a good zoom, a bit of manual control, and it was pretty cheap.

It seems the sx240/260 has more zoom range and a couple of handling quirks ironed out (the default flash pop up, even if not being used) so that may be worth a look if there's only a small premium.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
I'd have a look at the SX50 HS (review). It's a bit over the price stated, but meets the needs - long zoom, decent low light, manual controls, and shoots RAW (if your friend wants to put time into post processing).

Else, consider an S100 - large sensor for a P&S, decent in low light, pocketable (but only 120mm FF-equivalent).

I have considered (and still consider) buying the SX50 for hiking instead of taking a DSLR. It's nice to hear some endorsements of it. I need to go play with one at my local store and maybe even pull out my wallet. I'm glad this thread came up. Here goes the CR Forum again, costing me money!! :D

Upvote 0
I think she should go with the SX40. Brighter lens than the SX50 (allowing faster shutter speed), still a 24-840mm lens (do you REALLY need more?), same Digic 5, and if she really wants RAW, there is the "jailbrake" software that can fix that.

Reason to go SX50 over SX40 is (if you do not need 1200mm) AF performance. Could be an impact if photographing moving kids...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.