An EF & RF mount hybrid mirrorless camera in the works [CR2]

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Interesting. I know that balancing some of the EF lenses on the R, such as the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II is not so fun when taking shots in portrait/vertical orientation. Part of this is because the adapter throws the lens more off balance. I wonder if a hybrid mount might address this...but the spacing provided by the adapter has to be made up somewhere?
i keep getting lens connection error with the 70-200. i dont think the adapter is good for long whites when the camera is vertical

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
Hybrid doesn’t mean that it’s a “one-click” solution to make it what you want. Hybrid could mean that you could order this new camera with either EF or RF and that a set of tools could change it. This wouldn’t be anything more exotic than going from EF to PL on Cinema EOS. The advantage for the professional shooter would be to use this camera with big white EF lenses now, and switch the mount when their RF lineup matches.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
After looking at the EF and RF mount carefully, I have a difficult time envisioning modification to the mount that would retain adequate strength and line up the contacts. It might be possible to modify the mount to accept both, but I don't see it as practical, perhaps some sort of design that rotated mounting slots, but a Rube Goldberg mount is not for a 1 series camera.

As far as diameters, both EF and RF are the same. The best way might be to mount a RF lens upside down so it matched with a 2nd set of contacts. The question is having adequate mounting strength with a dual mounting setup.

If a mount can be designed, then a collapsible mount or moving sensor would work.

There may be such a beast out there as a prototype, but as to actually producing it??

In any event, the physical design of the camera is locked down by now, and production of the pieces and parts well underway.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I recall seeing a patent on here recently that essentially was an SLR mirror adapter for a mirrorless ILC. Makes me wonder if something like that with a moveable/repositionable sensor would provide adaptability for both? This is an interesting rumor, because the recent patent activity could support it.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
I predicted the moving sensor more than a year ago to explain the 'sexy' mount solution in pre-R rumours.
Such a system can't be done without a sensor on rails.

On the other hand, why on earth would Canon do that now, after the EOS R release?
A moving sensor solves the flange distance problem but not the EF-RF mount incompatibility.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I use the mfn button to change the shooting mode. You press the mfn first, and then turn a wheel to change the shooting mode... Further, I have one button assigned to change between AI and Single AF, and one button to change focusing mode (point, expanded, etc)
Many thanks for the tip. I guess I didn't see that because I changed the m-fn button to select af point type (one, one with assistants, zone, large zone, full) I have also assigned a button to toggle Single and Servo AF. Fortunately I can also set the ... set button (no pun intended) to exp comp so as when I have the camera at manual and auto ISO I can have full control of exposure. This is the way I have set my DSLRs so nice to have, but EOS R is certainly a stills*1 (or very stills :) ) camera (at least for me compared to how I have configured my 5 and 7 series cameras for bird shooting).

*1 Stills in the context of not moving subjects not as photos only against video...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I bought an RF mount body I'd want to use the EF adapters to use ND and polarizing filters on bulbous front element lenses, personally the EF15mm, the TS-E17 and the EF11-24, they would all get a new lease of life with those simple filter adapters. I wouldn't want the complexity of a moving sensor and lose that very appealing functionality.

Personally I am generally happy with my 1DX MkII's but am interested in a 1DX MKIII and a high resolution RF body if I can use my EF ultrawides with a filter adapter.
Won't you have issues with Polarizer effects using UltraWides's with those filters. I'd rarely use a polarizer that wide and I'm pretty sure Canon's vari-ND is polarizer based and will have similar issues. At least my B+W does. I guess you can try to sooth out the effects in post but it's hard to get a pola/wide blue sky to look right in my experience.

I have a filter tray in my super-tele which I have never used but for different reasons. Not sure what I'd use it for.

edit: the big whites allow standard screw in filters. If the EF/RF allowed that it would make more sense. I could see using a big stopper or something like that with an Ultrawide.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree. My EF lenses work very well with the adaptor, but it's just one more thing to drag along.

I also agree with the visibility. I got an EOS R to complement my 5D4, mainly for the tilt/flip VF. I love the camera, but am waiting on buying any RF glass until I see exactly what they are doing. I bet a lot of others are sitting on the fence too.

This will just complicate it even more, I suspect, even if its true. I must say though, I strongly suspect EF will be replaced totally by RF over the next few years. It takes a lot of $$ to implement a new mount, and they will want us all to buy them...

Buying an RP in my case was the plan with EF-RF and FD-RF adapter to reuse e.g. FD 4.0 17, 1.4 50, 2.5 135 and 4.0 300 which still exist in my household. But they got me with an offer where body + adapter at 1094 EUR which is very cheap anyway. But they added - and that is something I cannot believe antil the tools arrive - the RF lens as some free goodie . And there is 55 Euro cash back available after I reveive these things. Maybe the RF 35 is not selling very well and they want to convince the hesitating individuals (like me) to buy into RF mount and lenses.

I am not too happy to have a third mount around but the intended use is as one body two lens combo e.g. RF 35 + EF macro 100 or RF35 + 70-300 4.0. Or as two body combo e.g. M50 + EF 32mm + RP with 70-200 or RP with RF 35 + M50 70-200 if I need stabilized lenses.
And If I do not like the RF 35 maybe I will sell it and enjoy the lenses I already have but 1:2 macro + IS is still interesting. I will see.

And after using the FDn 4.0 17 for a test video with my M50 it showed very strong quality (as ~28mm equiv) so I cannot wait to see how this little lens performs on the RP for photo and especially video (1080p is enough for my purposes so this lens will be fine).

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
But I cannot spare a configirable button for instant central positioning so there is that (so many functinality needs so few buttons!)

That magic button is already there: the "Delete" button will take your focus point right to the center.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I use polarizers to minimize reflections on stone counter tops and in swimming pools and the images are part of a composite/blend of images to get the best looking aspect of each element in the frame, I am not looking to polarize large areas of sky or landscape.

Like this.

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 16.40.49.png

5.jpg

Won't you have issues with Polarizer effects using UltraWides's with those filters. I'd rarely use a polarizer that wide and I'm pretty sure Canon's vari-ND is polarizer based and will have similar issues. At least my B+W does. I guess you can try to sooth out the effects in post but it's hard to get a pola/wide blue sky to look right in my experience.

I have a filter tray in my super-tele which I have never used but for different reasons. Not sure what I'd use it for.

edit: the big whites allow standard screw in filters. If the EF/RF allowed that it would make more sense. I could see using a big stopper or something like that with an Ultrawide.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
That magic button is already there: the "Delete" button will take your focus point right to the center.
Very interesting. I haven't thought of that. I need it when I shoot birds (so many misses and I want to avoid having to load and view at 100% a few hundreds more than I should) but on a single card camera that is being used for general purpose (but not birding) there is no rush to delete (which is prone to mistakes by the way) so yes that is a very good idea. Many thanks!

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Very interesting. I haven't thought of that. I need it when I shoot birds (so many misses and I want to avoid having to load and view at 100% a few hundreds more than I should) but on a single card camera that is being used for general purpose (but not birding) there is no rush to delete (which is prone to mistakes by the way) so yes that is a very good idea. Many thanks!
You don't seem to believe me:)
There you go, at page 271 in the user manual:
"To center the AF point or Zone AF frame, press the trash can button"
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/0300032123/01/eosr-ug-en.pdf

Cheers:)
Nelu

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0