Another Question, Sir/ Madame, Dear Teachers and friends.= Jpeg or Raw for 50 MP

Mar 25, 2011
NancyP said:
I'd shoot RAW. The presumption is that the 5Dsr is being used for maximal image quality and manipulability. A sports/photojournalism/high volume events camera, with need for fast turnaround time - jpg.

Yes, but they often have a raw in case their photo is salable to a magazine or other high quality print job. The jpeg is sometimes put out on the wire when time is urgent, but may also be treated as a proof, and the images selected then go thru the raw pp process.

A jpeg from a sporting event may be posted to online news, but the raw is used for a spread in Sports Illustrated.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
I never have any but a perfect exposure with perfect WB and never blow out highlights or underdog the shadows........

Whoa, that was an amazing dream!
RAW lets me expose "to the right" than pull back in post and tweak the image closer to what I want. When I want a snapshot, there's always my iPhone.

No disrespect intended to anyone, but while some shots are right on, many are not and a JPEG does not give me the latitude I need to fix it. (Bad pun....not referring to my ancient darkroom days by the word "fix")

Upvote 0
In my way of thinking, it is not a question of why should I shoot RAW but why wouldn't I shoot RAW?

I shoot RAW unless there is a specific reason not to. Absent of any legitimate reason, I default to RAW.

In my personal type of photography, I don't have a reason not to shoot RAW so the decision is pretty easy for me.

Bedsides, I can always make a JPEG from a RAW. Going the other way is a bit harder. ;D

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Thousand Thanks to all my Friends and My Dear Teachers.
I have learn a lot from your answers, Which I can adapt to my improve love Hobby, The Photography.
In every time, If I do not know, and I post the questions---I get all great Answers---In every times, from the expert like you.
Good days.
Surapon.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
For me its two factors. The event, and my hoarder tendency.
For night club/ promo events, football matches, rallys and such, I'll tend to shoot JPEG for burst and speed.
Studio work/ weddings, I tend to shoot RAW+jpg, (the + jpg simply because thanks to google photos, I've gotten a little addicted to the animated gifs you can create with sequenced photos, and for a lil BTS on a tumblr account for someone dancing, or a car drifting, or a belly dancer, , its more than good enough to to generate from tweaked jpegs, than to take the time process multiple raws)

And due to my hoarding tendencies, if i shoot a model and take 100 pics, there's a good chance i'll keep all 100 (well aside from any obviously bad ones, like eyes closed / mid blink or something). Even if i get my fav say 10 pics, I still keep the other 90. Needless to stay, space gets eaten up rapidly. I can't imagine 50MP raws/ jpgs storage woes.

Its a habit I'm trying to break, just keep those 10 keepers, but you're talking to someone who has every version of the AMD drivers going back three years stored in a folder "just in case".

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
I was wasting time trying to work out if each JPEG was good enough or not, then processing the RAW's into another JPEG, so storing one RAW, large fine JPEG from the camera, then a larger JPEG (less compressed than the camera) from DxO.

Wow, that does seem like a really bad idea. Don't do that anymore.

-Brad

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Brad.
Yes that was the point I was trying to make, RAW's all the way now for me, much reduced storage requirements. I know the "storage is cheap as chips" argument, but on a limited budget, camera gear or hard drive? I know where I'd sooner spend it.

Cheers, Graham.

TexPhoto said:
Valvebounce said:
I was wasting time trying to work out if each JPEG was good enough or not, then processing the RAW's into another JPEG, so storing one RAW, large fine JPEG from the camera, then a larger JPEG (less compressed than the camera) from DxO.

Wow, that does seem like a really bad idea. Don't do that anymore.

-Brad

Upvote 0