Any reason to choose a 7D over a 70D?

May 4, 2011
Sports and fast action shooting...ESPECIALLY if you shoot Raw. Switching from a 60D to a 7D, the biggest difference was the SPEED. While I frequently maxed the 60D's buffer during shooting, I never had to wait for the 7D. In fact, I found that I was taking so many more shots that I had to watch my memory card space!

However, I found high ISO/noise handling to be slightly worse (files required more processing to look good) and therefore a step back. The 60D was already noisy in low light as it is. That was disappointing and I hope for (much) better in the 7D2.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
DaveMiko said:
jeffa4444 said:
As a 7d owner and given this camera came out in 2009 as opposed to 2013 I would go with the 70d purely because of the better sensor and Digic 5+ processor in the end its about images the 7d can get very noisey in low light.

Just to put the record straight: The 70D sports a Digic 5+ processor, that's true. But the 7D features two, not one, Digic 4+ processors.

That is true, but one must keep in mind the capabilities of the chip. i.e. a Quad Core 2.4ghz Intel Atom Bay Trail chip is still a truckload slower than a Dual Core 2.4ghz Intel Core i5. While the leap between the 4 and 5+ is not as great, the 5+ does offer enhanced IQ & featureset plus more processing power that contributes to better fps without requiring two chips.

I fully expect the 7D2 will have dual 5+ chips and blow the doors off both the 7D and 70D in speed.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Ruined said:
DaveMiko said:
jeffa4444 said:
As a 7d owner and given this camera came out in 2009 as opposed to 2013 I would go with the 70d purely because of the better sensor and Digic 5+ processor in the end its about images the 7d can get very noisey in low light.

Just to put the record straight: The 70D sports a Digic 5+ processor, that's true. But the 7D features two, not one, Digic 4+ processors.

That is true, but one must keep in mind the capabilities of the chip. i.e. a Quad Core 2.4ghz Intel Atom Bay Trail chip is still a truckload slower than a Dual Core 2.4ghz Intel Core i5. While the leap between the 4 and 5+ is not as great, the 5+ does offer enhanced IQ & featureset plus more processing power that contributes to better fps without requiring two chips.

I fully expect the 7D2 will have dual 5+ chips and blow the doors off both the 7D and 70D in speed.

Will it matter if you shoot in raw?

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
jeffa4444 said:
Here's a very handy noise comparison chart from The Digital Picture:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Comparisons/Canon-EOS-70D-ISO-Noise.aspx
FWIW I would have recommended a pre-owned 7D. They're amazing value right now in a market flooding with 7D bodies in anticipation of the upcoming 7DII.

-pw

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
J.R. said:
Thanks for the replies. She doesn't shoot fast actionall that often and so I have advised her to get the 70D.

Cheers ... J.R.

What sort of "upgrade" is she looking for? If she just wants better image quality, wouldn't she be better off sticking with her Rebel and buying a good prime or two instead or, if she already has some, moving up to a 6D? In some recent sales I've seen they don't cost much more than a new 70D.

Upvote 0
One other huge difference that I didn't see mentioned yet: The 7D has AF Expansion mode and AF spot mode. The 70D doesn't. These are the two most useful modes available in Canon's newer AF systems (including the 5D3 and 1DX which also have a 2nd expansion mode). However, if you only want to use single point or are crazy and want to use zone or all-point modes then this won't matter. Otherwise, it is just one more thing that does not make the 70D a 7D replacement.

Upvote 0

revup67

Memories in the Making
Dec 20, 2010
Southern California
www.flickr.com
I've considered selling my 7D as well to acquire the 70D as a replacement primarily due to the "phase detection" technology in the 70D primarily for video shooting. This allows less "hunting" in video mode and keeps your subject focused the majority of the time.

That being said, the SD only option is a downside for the 70D for the FPS as many have stated, it's less rugged (i.e. build quality) and the 70D is only tested up to 100,000 shutter clicks whereas the 7D has been tested for at 150,000 clicks.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
pwp said:
Here's a very handy noise comparison chart from The Digital Picture:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Comparisons/Canon-EOS-70D-ISO-Noise.aspx

Thanks for that link PWP. It's interesting to see how little progress has been made in crop sensor performance since the T2i came out. It confirms my own comparison between my T2i and my 7D. Judging from my photos, they seem to have the same sensor. And judging from the information at the link you posted, the 70D is extremely similar. I'm very glad I have a 5D3. :)

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Steb said:
Stills - 7D
Video - 70D

I bought a 7D couple of weeks ago. Tried both the 7D and the 70D and as long as you don't need any of the new 70D only features, the 7D is still the superior camera. Better ergonomics, build quality and same IQ. Trying to select an AF point without joystick is not fun. At least not when speed is important.

I don't use the joystick. I use the wheels... maybe I should mix it up and give it a try.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
Steb said:
Stills - 7D
Video - 70D

I bought a 7D couple of weeks ago. Tried both the 7D and the 70D and as long as you don't need any of the new 70D only features, the 7D is still the superior camera. Better ergonomics, build quality and same IQ. Trying to select an AF point without joystick is not fun. At least not when speed is important.

I don't use the joystick. I use the wheels... maybe I should mix it up and give it a try.

There's a custom function (don't ask me where!) that essentially does away with the m-fn button when selecting AF points so as soon as you half press the shutter the AF point can be moved. When I first discovered this it put a huge smile on my face!

Upvote 0

Richard8971

"There is no spoon" - Neo
Oct 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com
I have held and test fired the 70D and I own a 7D.

The 7D feels better in my hands (larger than the 70D) but the 70D feels like a well thought out camera. The buffer on the 7D is still superior to the 70D and can handle almost half over again the RAW images (15 vs 25) and about 3 times the JPEG images (40 vs 110) before the buffer is full.

The 7D is also a full metal body where the 70D is a composite body. The viewfinder on the 7D feels brighter and fills your eye more. (100% coverage) The shutter on the 7D is more suited as a "pro" level camera.

I would imagine that either camera would do awesome in real world shooting but I still think personally that the 7D is the best bang for the buck if stills is your thing. If you are into video then the stakes change a little. The 70D seems more video optimized. Personally, I am not even sure how to take videos on my 7 and I don't care to learn. I use it for shooting only. :)

Even though the 7D is getting up there in age, it very much holds its own because it pioneered a lot of the technology that Canon is now using in their newest cameras. The 7D's lifespan and usefulness is far from over.

What makes the 7D even more attractive is that you can get refurb bodies from Adorama for under a grand and they come with a 1 year warranty.

http://www.adorama.com/ICA7DR.html

D

Upvote 0