Any thing Shot with a 5ds/r

falcnr

1DX & 5DSR Canon glass
May 3, 2015
eml58 said:
falcnr said:
eml58 said:
The higher MP of the 5DsR does call for a review of shooting style, having said that, have a look at the recent Wildlife (moving, not dead) Images of Gary Samples, 5DsR, moving wildlife, sharp Images, great stuff.

I'm currently going through a similar downcast semi suicidal depressive stage, I've just taken possession of my new Hasselblad H6D 100c, and anything that moves that's not dead (this is not the camera to video the "Walking Dead" serious) is requiring a serious re think on my whole pre programmed (1Dx) style of Shooting.

Having said that, I'm quite honestly enjoying the situation, now I'm actually really thinking the shot, taking my time and ensuring I have all the bases covered, the 1Dx has made me a somewhat lazy photographer, which I also enjoy, the 5DsR & H6D are I feel, making me a better Photographer.

And I still have time to enjoy my Sony RX1R II, thank you to the Photographer God for giving us choice.

This is interesting to hear. I'm up for a challenge and all for self improvement but i'm not sure what more I can do than I'm doing. All the obvious boxes are ticked, Shutter speed is up, f stop is generous, active focussing points set and I really try ensure focus point is on the subjects eye/head. Tripods are not always practical for some wildlife conditions (out of a vehicle). The only thing I can think to add is putting on short timer release or better still remote timer but i'm better aiming looking through a viewfinder. I'm at the point of leaving the 5DRS at home or selling it as it feels like i'm going to a gun fight with a chamber full of duds. I'm wishing i'd not sold my 1DX to buy the 1DX MKII and should have sold my 5DSR instead.

It does sound like you may well have some focus issue, perhaps get the Camera back to Canon an see what they think.

My younger Lad uses the 5Ds R quite a bit, I use it now mainly for my Underwater Macro Images, we are not experiencing the sort of issues as you are though, so if you have your technicals sorted, it pretty well leaves the Camera.

I did have a similar issue with a Nikon D800 some time ago when it was first released, eventually had 2 replacement Bodies before Nikon owned up to the fact the D800 had a focus issue, I convinced Nikon Singapore to give me a 3rd Body then sold it unopened.

Hope you sort the issue, the 5DsR is an excellent Camera, albeit it is not a 5D MK III

Thanks and I know the 5DSR can take amazing images but its the inconsistency of it thats driving my crazy. My biggest problem is CPS is a outsourced service depot here in Dubai who repair other brands and small applies so frankly i've no faith in the standard of expertise. Their well meaning effort came to nothing already. I'm back in Canada in a couple of weeks and hope to get it shipped to CPS in Ontario and see what they find. You probably know how it is, because of the nature of this issue they always look at the workman not the tool. I know I'm doing my part and I've tried different lens's but its hit and miss and I cannot allow this as with wildlife in particular there's no "re-do's? and I've already been let down by this body on previous trips. I've got a month long Africa trip coming up and its either fixed or dumped by then.

Upvote 0
Really like the falcon and leopard pics by falconr, as well as the mountain lion by Gary Samples ,and the excellent image by ERHP of the spider hunting wasp.
I find that shooting with the 5DSR for wildlife, using ambient, natural light, is similar to using any camera with really small pixels, like the 7Dmk2, 7D, 60D etc...I have to try use fast shutter speeds, preferably 1/1000sec and above. I also have to pay extra attention to keeping myself really, really steady, and I also get a higher keeper rate using Canon's newer version 2 lenses with their excellent IS. The camera takes great images when I get it right, and it is quite satisfying to make a 50mp capture. For really fast-moving subjects like animals running towards the camera, or fast-flying birds, I usually find that I get more pixel-level sharp shots using cameras with bigger pixels, like the 5Dmk3, 1DX, more easily than with small pixel cameras. With this text is a cheetah image taken in Kenya, using the 5DSR and EF 100-400L IS ii, handheld. Shutter speed 1/1000sec at f5.6, iso 400. Ai Servo. AF Point expansion, one plus 4 AF points.

Attachments

• Grant-Atkinson-Amboselir_U9A0518_0026.jpg
    Grant-Atkinson-Amboselir_U9A0518_0026.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 238
Upvote 0

falcnr

1DX & 5DSR Canon glass
May 3, 2015
Grant Atkinson said:
Really like the falcon and leopard pics by falconr, as well as the mountain lion by Gary Samples ,and the excellent image by ERHP of the spider hunting wasp.
I find that shooting with the 5DSR for wildlife, using ambient, natural light, is similar to using any camera with really small pixels, like the 7Dmk2, 7D, 60D etc...I have to try use fast shutter speeds, preferably 1/1000sec and above. I also have to pay extra attention to keeping myself really, really steady, and I also get a higher keeper rate using Canon's newer version 2 lenses with their excellent IS. The camera takes great images when I get it right, and it is quite satisfying to make a 50mp capture. For really fast-moving subjects like animals running towards the camera, or fast-flying birds, I usually find that I get more pixel-level sharp shots using cameras with bigger pixels, like the 5Dmk3, 1DX, more easily than with small pixel cameras. With this text is a cheetah image taken in Kenya, using the 5DSR and EF 100-400L IS ii, handheld. Shutter speed 1/1000sec at f5.6, iso 400. Ai Servo. AF Point expansion, one plus 4 AF points.

Thanks for feedback and advice Grant. I'm still unsure if the inconsistency of images could be my style or particular shooting conditions at the time or the camera doing quirky things. Of course i'd never dream of using 5DSR on moving subjects and thats what the 1DX is for ...but for those still life opportunities on wildlife is my purpose and why it is pretty well strictly used on 600mm f4 IS (MKII) and 800mm f5.6. The one thing that keeps throwing me is that i can have shutter speed over 1/4000 and I still get soft image. Surely this shouldn't happen ..assuming my focus point is on the bird/animals eye ??? As the leopard and falcon illustrate, it can take sharp images and both were challenging as the leopard was in dark forest canopy (ISO 3200 1/80th sec exposure) and the falcon only because i was hanging over a cliff edge in good light but holding the 800mm with 1.4TC. Each required super still steady breathing shooting. Yet like I said at 1/4000th I can suddenly get a series of varying degrees of soft images. Incredibly frustrating particularly if away on trips when mulligans are not an option or the opportunity at a rare subject like the falcon only presents itself once.

Upvote 0
falcnr said:
Grant Atkinson said:

Thanks for feedback and advice Grant. I'm still unsure if the inconsistency of images could be my style or particular shooting conditions at the time or the camera doing quirky things. Of course i'd never dream of using 5DSR on moving subjects and thats what the 1DX is for ...but for those still life opportunities on wildlife is my purpose and why it is pretty well strictly used on 600mm f4 IS (MKII) and 800mm f5.6. The one thing that keeps throwing me is that i can have shutter speed over 1/4000 and I still get soft image. Surely this shouldn't happen ..assuming my focus point is on the bird/animals eye ??? As the leopard and falcon illustrate, it can take sharp images and both were challenging as the leopard was in dark forest canopy (ISO 3200 1/80th sec exposure) and the falcon only because i was hanging over a cliff edge in good light but holding the 800mm with 1.4TC. Each required super still steady breathing shooting. Yet like I said at 1/4000th I can suddenly get a series of varying degrees of soft images. Incredibly frustrating particularly if away on trips when mulligans are not an option or the opportunity at a rare subject like the falcon only presents itself once.
Hi Falconr, mine is not advice really, just sharing what has worked for me. But it sounds as if perhaps something may be amiss with your AF system? Best to try get it checked out before heading to Africa. Even more impressed with the falcon shot considering the focal length!. I have also managed some iso 3200 shots with the 5DSR that I am very happy with!

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
A Great Crested Grebe admiring her eggs.

The resolution and colours from the 5DSR is simply amazing.

600mm f4L IS II
1/1600s, f/6.3, ISO400
Nice photo Eldar, and I agree with you about the colours and res from the 5DSR. As far as the grebes went, have you managed to capture images of their chicks yet with the adults? :)

Upvote 0
Grant Atkinson said:
Eldar said:

600mm f4L IS II
1/1600s, f/6.3, ISO400
Nice photo Eldar, and I agree with you about the colours and res from the 5DSR. As far as the grebes went, have you managed to capture images of their chicks yet with the adults? :)
I have followed grebes for several years. Fascinating birds. Their mating dance is quite special and the chicks looks anything but their parents. This is one from last year. This grebe had 5 chicks, but 4 was taken by seagulls, so this is her last one. I like her protective posture in this image.

Attachments

• _D7T6544.jpg
    _D7T6544.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 237
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Eldar said:
I have followed grebes for several years. Fascinating birds. Their mating dance is quite special and the chicks looks anything but their parents. This is one from last year. This grebe had 5 chicks, but 4 was taken by seagulls, so this is her last one. I like her protective posture in this image.

So cute, super detail

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
Grant Atkinson said:
Eldar said:

600mm f4L IS II
1/1600s, f/6.3, ISO400
Thanks for posting that, a special shot Eldar..

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
Grant Atkinson said:
Eldar said:

600mm f4L IS II
1/1600s, f/6.3, ISO400
love the baby shots!!

Upvote 0
I got my 5Ds a couple of weeks ago, and have been enjoying it so far. Luckily I upgraded my memory card so it actually feels snappier than the 5D3, in which I was using a slower card. The shutter sounds softer even in the normal mode. My computer hasn't been happy... takes substantially longer to upload and edit images, but I'm coping. The in built timelapse is nice - easy and works well, although it's a shame the output is fixed resolution (if I want to use the sensor res to make, e.g. 8K timelapse, I'll have to fall back on an external intervalometer).

Incidentally, casually shooting at the botanic garden yesterday with the 24-105 I have to say it was good to know I could be loose with framing, with so much more cropping ability.

*Anyway* here's a few of shots... Handkerchief tree (105mm, f/5.6, ISO 200); Meconopsis (58mm, f/4, ISO 200); azaleas (90mm, f/5.6, ISO 400; 55mm, f/4, ISO 400).

Attachments

• 5DS_2394-1.jpg
    5DS_2394-1.jpg
    822.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 5DS_2421-1.jpg
    5DS_2421-1.jpg
    682.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 5DS_2462-1.jpg
    5DS_2462-1.jpg
    693.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 5DS_2546-1.jpg
    5DS_2546-1.jpg
    660.5 KB · Views: 193
Upvote 0
scyrene said:
I got my 5Ds a couple of weeks ago, and have been enjoying it so far. Luckily I upgraded my memory card so it actually feels snappier than the 5D3, in which I was using a slower card. The shutter sounds softer even in the normal mode. My computer hasn't been happy... takes substantially longer to upload and edit images, but I'm coping. The in built timelapse is nice - easy and works well, although it's a shame the output is fixed resolution (if I want to use the sensor res to make, e.g. 8K timelapse, I'll have to fall back on an external intervalometer).

Incidentally, casually shooting at the botanic garden yesterday with the 24-105 I have to say it was good to know I could be loose with framing, with so much more cropping ability.

*Anyway* here's a few of shots... Handkerchief tree (105mm, f/5.6, ISO 200); Meconopsis (58mm, f/4, ISO 200); azaleas (90mm, f/5.6, ISO 400; 55mm, f/4, ISO 400).
Scyrene, I like the botanic collection, nice vibrant colours in your shots!

Upvote 0
Although I don't consider the 5DSR to be the ideal camera for fast-moving subjects like birds in flight, it can do the job. This is a flight image of a White-chinned Petrel, photographed offshore of Cape Point, South Africa, using a 5DSR and EF 100-400ii. Shutter speed 1/1600sec at f7.1, iso 640. Evaluative metering. M-mode with Auto iso. Ai Servo. Cropped to 40 megapixels, and processed in Adobe Lightroom. I had to lighten the dark underside of the dark plumaged bird extensively in post processing. Image downsized from 40mp to 1500 pixels on the long side.
Cheers
Grant

Attachments

• Grant-Atkinson-Cape-Point_U9A0469_0018.jpg
    Grant-Atkinson-Cape-Point_U9A0469_0018.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 224
Upvote 0