Any thing Shot with a 5ds/r

Eldar said:
KeithBreazeal said:
A candid with the 5DS at ISO 12800(max)
Very good! Like I have asked a number of times; Why don´t Canon give us an ISO25600 option? When ISO12800 can be as good as this, clearly ISO25600 could work also.

I give Canon credit for being realistic and honest here.

The much higher iso settings many cameras boost are not for "real". If you shoot the 5DIII @ iso 12.800 or 25.600 makes no difference at all. You get the same result as pushing the iso 12.800 picture one stop in post. Its a marketing gimmick - not a real iso setting.

So with the 5DS/R you can just push your shots afterwards in postprocessing. Noise increase is linear from 12.800 and up so Canon could have claimed the same ridiculous high iso of the 5DIII for the 5DS/R.

Why Canon often get's a beating for being honest and letting customers know what the 5DS/R in fact can do instead of having fantasy-settings like so many other cameras is beyond me.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Eldar said:
KeithBreazeal said:
A candid with the 5DS at ISO 12800(max)
Very good! Like I have asked a number of times; Why don´t Canon give us an ISO25600 option? When ISO12800 can be as good as this, clearly ISO25600 could work also.

They do. Just expose at 12,800 and -1EC, then on import put +1 exposure on. It is exactly the same as shooting RAW at 25,600.

Upvote 0
I have got a macro challenge I had to respond to, so this is an attempt. This is a 13 exposure stack, done in Photoshop. These little buggers have a habit of taking off before I have my rig in position, so this is not something I will pursue as a carreer :p

I am sure that there are experts on this kind of shooting on this forum, so any comment on how you postprocess would be of interest. I see that I do get some strange artifacts here and there, which I am sure you have ways to avoid.

This red-thighed St Mark's Fly, also called Heather Fly, was shot with 100mm f2.8L IS Macro, 1.4xIII extender and a 20mm extension tube. The insect is about 10-14mm long. (The background is from a flowerbed of roses and not something I have added).

Attachments

• Russeflue profil 2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 247
Upvote 0
Eldar said:
I have got a macro challenge I had to respond to, so this is an attempt. This is a 13 exposure stack, done in Photoshop. These little buggers have a habit of taking off before I have my rig in position, so this is not something I will pursue as a carreer :p

I am sure that there are experts on this kind of shooting on this forum, so any comment on how you postprocess would be of interest. I see that I do get some strange artifacts here and there, which I am sure you have ways to avoid.

This red-thighed St Mark's Fly, also called Heather Fly, was shot with 100mm f2.8L IS Macro, 1.4xIII extender and a 20mm extension tube. The insect is about 10-14mm long. (The background is from a flowerbed of roses and not something I have added).

Nice! Like a micro-scope :) A bit freaky.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Eldar said:

Eldar, really interesting and great shot. It's something I'd like to play with too if I ever can find the time. Got started with stars with a cheap tracker and that has fizzled, for now anyway.

Assuming that guy is alive how do you keep him still long enough or is it a very fast sequence of shots? How do you gauge the focus for successive shots?

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Eldar said:

Eldar, really interesting and great shot. It's something I'd like to play with too if I ever can find the time. Got started with stars with a cheap tracker and that has fizzled, for now anyway.

Assuming that guy is alive how do you keep him still long enough or is it a very fast sequence of shots? How do you gauge the focus for successive shots?

Jack
I used a very manly voice and told him to stay still, or else ..! Or rather, this was attempt no. 278 ... ::)

This is shot at 1/50s, f/6.3, ISO800. To get a proper depth of field, you need multiple exposures. I use manual focus with live view, starting at the nearest part and then manually adjust focus while I am shooting at high speed, using a remote control. I have a focus rail also, which makes the focusing easier, but I don´t like the flattened perspective I am getting from it.

But, as you say, the really challenging part is to find something that will stay still for the 10 sec. it takes to get into position, adjust focus to initial position and then fire off the required number of shots. I would have had more keepers if I had used the 1DX-II, rather than the 5DSR though.

Tip: Start with snails ;D

Upvote 0