Any thing Shot with a 5ds/r

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Vern said:
Jack Douglas said:
Yes Vern, as you said ... to me it no longer looks natural. ;) However, I'm just an enthusiast and my perception isn't necessarily correct. :)

I have much the same opinion of bird photos where every little impediment is cleaned up to give a squeaky clean image. OTOH many shots are very popular that don't necessarily represent reality so to each his own.

Jack
Hi Jack - what is perceived as natural in a photo is often not what the human visual system sees. For example our dynamic range is so much higher than a sensor that, to me, blocked shadows don't look natural. If I was standing there, I would be able to see the details. But, we aren't used to photos looking that way, so they look unnatural. The original was a great image, for sure.

I don't disagree. I do raise shadows and so forth in most of my photos. However, I'm seeing photos, especially in the HDR realm that simply are not what the human eye perceives in real life and I personally don't prefer them, but that's just me.

Jack

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Vern said:
For example our dynamic range is so much higher than a sensor that, to me, blocked shadows don't look natural. If I was standing there, I would be able to see the details. But, we aren't used to photos looking that way, so they look unnatural.

Interesting comment. Over time tastes do change - dramatically. When it comes to shadows the past centuries of great artists painted heavy shadows. Of course they could have painted ultra "HDR" should they have wished. I suppose if you go back far enough Roman wall muriels were painted pretty flat.

When it comes to most scenes as they really were in colour and contrast a faithful reproduction generally doesn't hold attention.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Sporgon said:
Vern said:
For example our dynamic range is so much higher than a sensor that, to me, blocked shadows don't look natural. If I was standing there, I would be able to see the details. But, we aren't used to photos looking that way, so they look unnatural.

Interesting comment. Over time tastes do change - dramatically. When it comes to shadows the past centuries of great artists painted heavy shadows. Of course they could have painted ultra "HDR" should they have wished. I suppose if you go back far enough Roman wall muriels were painted pretty flat.

When it comes to most scenes as they really were in colour and contrast a faithful reproduction generally doesn't hold attention.

For sure. Today's society wants everything to be in your face spectacular/shocking especially since so much is computer created. We're a prisoner of our culture to some extent. Not unlike classical music with maybe 1 in 20 stations playing it.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
Here's an HDR pano with the 16-35 III at 32mm, f8, ISO 100, 3 images stitched. From Glacier Point, Yosemite. Smoke in the valley added a haze that was hard to correct for - a CPL helped a little. I tried to process this to give a natural look - lot's of sliders to play with in Photomatix though.

Attachments

• 8F8A4474_HDR_panoAnd2more Panorama_lores.JPG
    8F8A4474_HDR_panoAnd2more Panorama_lores.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 199
Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
Another pano from Glacier Point, this time with the 70-200 2.8II @70mm, portrait orientation X 9 HDR images. Original combined file was 33K X 10K. I include a 100% section of the full resolution version (just on the shoulder of half-dome), just for kicks. I unapologetically enjoy the resolution of this sensor even if I will never make a print large enough for it to matter.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 8.24.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 8.24.00 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 192
  • 8F8A4489_HDR_panoAnd2more Panorama_lores_v2.JPG
    8F8A4489_HDR_panoAnd2more Panorama_lores_v2.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 189
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Sporgon said:
Vern said:

As an artist for almost 40 years, there are two ways that artists look at Dynamic Range (called value range in art-speak) and what the eye sees. As is often mentioned, when we look at shadows we can see details and see it is lighter than the camera reproduces. Of course, this is because our eyes can almost instantaneously adjust from looking at the lighter areas into the shadows (and vice versa). However, when we are looking at the light areas, we would not see those details in the shadows - and when we are looking into the shadows, we would not see detail in the light areas. In a sense we are not that different than the camera - except that we don't think of vision that way since our eyes adjust so quickly and automatically when we change from looking at light and dark areas.

While not a universal rule, one strategy that artists have used is to pretend that the eye is looking into either the dark areas or the light - not both. If the painting is primarily about the light areas, then the light areas have the details and more variation in the various shades of dark and light, while the shadows are made darker and without much if any detail. If the painting is primarily in the dark, then light areas are simplified with less detail. The basic idea is that you don't see detail in both the light and shadow areas at the same time.

In photography, of course, before HDR and the wider dynamic range that is possible when lifting shadows on the computer, you had no choice but to expose for either the light or the shadow. Now you can do both. To some, this is more "realistic" as it is more like what the eye sees when we look at both light and shadow areas. For other, it is less "realistic" as we really don't see into both the light and shadow areas at the exact same time. For me personally, I think seeing detail on both light and shadow areas is not realistic and I am not a big fan of HDR, plus I think most HDR users overdo it - making the shadow areas almost as light as the light areas. This goes against another oft-used art strategy, which is to make sure that light and shadow areas are clearly defined. This means that everything in shadow is drawn or painted darker than everything that is in the light. Again, one could argue that the eye (and brain) can clearly see the difference, so it should be represented that way.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Vern said:
Another pano from Glacier Point, this time with the 70-200 2.8II @70mm, portrait orientation X 9 HDR images. Original combined file was 33K X 10K. I include a 100% section of the full resolution version (just on the shoulder of half-dome), just for kicks. I unapologetically enjoy the resolution of this sensor even if I will never make a print large enough for it to matter.

Beautiful shots, Vern. 8)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
@ dak723 For someone not too well versed in these subject areas this was a helpful read, thanks.

I seem to gravitate towards HDR relative to subjects such as birds or animals (probably my interest in detail) as opposed to landscape. Perhaps my dislike for some HDR landscape is precisely that it gets overdone since landscapes generally seem to be getting a multitude of adjustments these days to "enhance" them. I suppose that relates to the competitiveness of selling landscapes.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
Thanks for your helpful artist's perspective, Dak723. My scientist's perspective: the major adjustment in the human visual system while viewing a high DR scene is not the change in pupal dilation to view dark and light areas (which is relatively slow), but rather the ability of our perception of a scene to be influenced by where we focus our attention. This is almost instantaneous and requires the visual center in the brain and not a direct adjustment in the eyes. (Nuero may give a better version if he reads, I'm just a chemist.) Bearing in mind your artist's advice, I reprocessed 2 versions of an HDR scene from Yosemite - a color one and B&W. There was a lot of smoke haze in the valley that even a CPL wouldn't cut, so these are not excellent by any means. I like HDR b/c it gives a lot of flexibility in how you render the tonal range. I don't think a single image capture under these conditions would achieve this with the 5DSR.

Attachments

• 8F8A4543_HDR_v2And2more_tonemapped_lores.JPG
    8F8A4543_HDR_v2And2more_tonemapped_lores.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 171
  • 8F8A4543_HDR_v2And2more_tonemapped_lores_BW.JPG
    8F8A4543_HDR_v2And2more_tonemapped_lores_BW.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 166
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Vern said:
I love images of beautiful trees and had a chance to hike by many while walking to the North Dome, Yosemite. 5DSR, 70-200 II @ f4, 120mm, 1/40, ISO 400.

I'm like you Vern in loving all that's out there and experiencing moments such as these. However, not everyone shares this enthusiasm so my rhetorical question to you is how do we make a shot like this more appealing to the general public. Any thoughts?

Jack

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
Jack Douglas said:
Vern said:
I love images of beautiful trees and had a chance to hike by many while walking to the North Dome, Yosemite. 5DSR, 70-200 II @ f4, 120mm, 1/40, ISO 400.

I'm like you Vern in loving all that's out there and experiencing moments such as these. However, not everyone shares this enthusiasm so my rhetorical question to you is how do we make a shot like this more appealing to the general public. Any thoughts?

Jack

Probably no useful ones, but the genre would be (I think), "intimate Landscape" - maybe calling it that would draw attention? I can stare at the color and texture of trees trunks for hours - spent too much time in the woods in my youth (and now don't get enough). Unfortunately, I was handholding the 5DSR while in the woods with the 70-200 and didn't get the shutter speed quite high enough for some of the compositions I liked best.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Vern said:
Jack Douglas said:
Vern said:

Jack

Probably no useful ones, but the genre would be (I think), "intimate Landscape" - maybe calling it that would draw attention? I can stare at the color and texture of trees trunks for hours - spent too much time in the woods in my youth (and now don't get enough). Unfortunately, I was handholding the 5DSR while in the woods with the 70-200 and didn't get the shutter speed quite high enough for some of the compositions I liked best.

My youth was just like yours; we were very fortunate! I always wonder about the composition, is there a way to present the subject that would make it more appealing and sadly my imagination and creativity are often lacking. Not unlike public speaking.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
[/quote]

My youth was just like yours; we were very fortunate! I always wonder about the composition, is there a way to present the subject that would make it more appealing and sadly my imagination and creativity are often lacking. Not unlike public speaking.

Jack
[/quote]

I'm probably not conscious enough about composition in this type of pic myself, but I think I like this one b/c the in focus parts frame a distant OOF continuation of the forest that draws me into the photo. The replication of foreground shapes/textures in the background is appealing to me. Its hard not to end up too busy though. I had a couple that I like more than this one, but the DOF or shutter speed wasn't quite right (example below).

I think the second tree needed to be in focus too, but didn't catch that mistake on capture. My wife is already very tolerant of me fiddling with the camera gear while we are hiking, and inspecting everything on capture might push her over the edge.

Attachments

• 8F8A4954_tonemapped_4_post.JPG
    8F8A4954_tonemapped_4_post.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 174
Upvote 0