Any thing Shot with a 5ds/r

Really cool shots of the kitteh, Gary!

A little smaller in size, caught a Tarantula Hawk Wasp who was dragging a recently 'paralyzed' Tarantula back to the lair. Holding a Surefire light between my fingers to get enough light with an overcast sky, while also holding the 5DS/R and 100mm f/2.8L Macro lens. The light also caught the iridescence of the wasp.
AB1201-X3.jpg

1/160 : f/7.1 : ISO 400

Upvote 0

falcnr

1DX & 5DSR Canon glass
May 3, 2015
This might be a better forum header to get info on any issues with 5DSR focussing issues ?

I've had my 5dsr for 10 months now and have struggled with a low rate of keepers. I've tried it 95% of the time on 600mm and 800mm lens's as I use it primarily for still wildlife, preferring the 1DX on the 400mm f2.8 for BIF / action etc. My issue is that I frequently get soft or out of focus images. I've been shooting long enough that I know how to use a Canon SLR and I don't have any issue with my 1DX but it is very frustrating. The focussing square can be right on the subjects eye but the image shows as if I completely missed the target. When it nails it, they're so sharp you can cut yourself (samples below), but frequently when you zoom in 100% the images look as if vaseline is smeared on the lens, (even at shutter speed is 1/4000th f6.3). I just can't figure this body out and now find myself shooting multiple images of same subject in the hope one might work out. :mad:

Canon CPS Dubai (unfortunately a franchise outsourced service company), has seen it and made some adjustment that hasn't helped. I've tried camera settings to adjust by lens and also disabling that setting. No difference. I've tried using three main focussing settings (single square, single square with dot in middle and the 6 point focussing setting. Some provide better results than others but nothing like my 1DX.

Has anyone experienced this? Could it be as a result if the insane resolution being so particular or sensitive ..to my crappy shooting style ?

frustrating ...

Attachments

• 9157 Black Shaheen.jpg
    9157 Black Shaheen.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 238
  • 8973.jpg
    8973.jpg
    716 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
The higher MP of the 5DsR does call for a review of shooting style, having said that, have a look at the recent Wildlife (moving, not dead) Images of Gary Samples, 5DsR, moving wildlife, sharp Images, great stuff.

I'm currently going through a similar downcast semi suicidal depressive stage, I've just taken possession of my new Hasselblad H6D 100c, and anything that moves that's not dead (this is not the camera to video the "Walking Dead" serious) is requiring a serious re think on my whole pre programmed (1Dx) style of Shooting.

Having said that, I'm quite honestly enjoying the situation, now I'm actually really thinking the shot, taking my time and ensuring I have all the bases covered, the 1Dx has made me a somewhat lazy photographer, which I also enjoy, the 5DsR & H6D are I feel, making me a better Photographer.

And I still have time to enjoy my Sony RX1R II, thank you to the Photographer God for giving us choice.

Upvote 0

falcnr

1DX & 5DSR Canon glass
May 3, 2015
eml58 said:
The higher MP of the 5DsR does call for a review of shooting style, having said that, have a look at the recent Wildlife (moving, not dead) Images of Gary Samples, 5DsR, moving wildlife, sharp Images, great stuff.

I'm currently going through a similar downcast semi suicidal depressive stage, I've just taken possession of my new Hasselblad H6D 100c, and anything that moves that's not dead (this is not the camera to video the "Walking Dead" serious) is requiring a serious re think on my whole pre programmed (1Dx) style of Shooting.

Having said that, I'm quite honestly enjoying the situation, now I'm actually really thinking the shot, taking my time and ensuring I have all the bases covered, the 1Dx has made me a somewhat lazy photographer, which I also enjoy, the 5DsR & H6D are I feel, making me a better Photographer.

And I still have time to enjoy my Sony RX1R II, thank you to the Photographer God for giving us choice.

This is interesting to hear. I'm up for a challenge and all for self improvement but i'm not sure what more I can do than I'm doing. All the obvious boxes are ticked, Shutter speed is up, f stop is generous, active focussing points set and I really try ensure focus point is on the subjects eye/head. Tripods are not always practical for some wildlife conditions (out of a vehicle). The only thing I can think to add is putting on short timer release or better still remote timer but i'm better aiming looking through a viewfinder. I'm at the point of leaving the 5DRS at home or selling it as it feels like i'm going to a gun fight with a chamber full of duds. I'm wishing i'd not sold my 1DX to buy the 1DX MKII and should have sold my 5DSR instead.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
falcnr said:
eml58 said:

This is interesting to hear. I'm up for a challenge and all for self improvement but i'm not sure what more I can do than I'm doing. All the obvious boxes are ticked, Shutter speed is up, f stop is generous, active focussing points set and I really try ensure focus point is on the subjects eye/head. Tripods are not always practical for some wildlife conditions (out of a vehicle). The only thing I can think to add is putting on short timer release or better still remote timer but i'm better aiming looking through a viewfinder. I'm at the point of leaving the 5DRS at home or selling it as it feels like i'm going to a gun fight with a chamber full of duds. I'm wishing i'd not sold my 1DX to buy the 1DX MKII and should have sold my 5DSR instead.

It does sound like you may well have some focus issue, perhaps get the Camera back to Canon an see what they think.

My younger Lad uses the 5Ds R quite a bit, I use it now mainly for my Underwater Macro Images, we are not experiencing the sort of issues as you are though, so if you have your technicals sorted, it pretty well leaves the Camera.

I did have a similar issue with a Nikon D800 some time ago when it was first released, eventually had 2 replacement Bodies before Nikon owned up to the fact the D800 had a focus issue, I convinced Nikon Singapore to give me a 3rd Body then sold it unopened.

Hope you sort the issue, the 5DsR is an excellent Camera, albeit it is not a 5D MK III

Upvote 0