Anything Shot with a 1Dx mark II

Jan 29, 2011
I had a 1DX MkII set up as a remote at a concert yesterday. Here is a before and after of an image from the soundcheck. Now you might not like the processing, and I'm not sure I do, but I was particularly impressed with the real world DR as the sun is behind those clouds making their edges very bright and the back of the drummer couldn't be in more shade.

1DX MkII, 11-24 @ 11mm, f8 , 1/80 sec, 800iso.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Interesting Scott. I'm curious what choice you made relative to 11mm and the up/down angle of the camera. Overall the 11mm perspective distortion doesn't seem too bad - is this cropped? Great lens for fitting everything in. Another question - how were you remote triggering?

Lots of detail in the shadows. It almost feels to me like I wouldn't have lifted them as much but you know my experience is limited. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
Interesting Scott. I'm curious what choice you made relative to 11mm and the up/down angle of the camera. Overall the 11mm perspective distortion doesn't seem too bad - is this cropped? Great lens for fitting everything in. Another question - how were you remote triggering?

Lots of detail in the shadows. It almost feels to me like I wouldn't have lifted them as much but you know my experience is limited. ;)

Jack

Hi Jack, no it isn't cropped.

After playing around with the framing this looked optimal, lower and level made the drummers head/body too big in the frame, and angled down accentuated the frame/roof structure over the top giving the image a natural framing.

Remote is via the WFT Server functionality and the Ethernet port, I plugged the camera into the venues internet via a 50' Cat6 Ethernet cable that cost $15! I then controlled the camera via an iPad that was wirelessly connected to the same network. Up to three devices can connect at the same time via the built in WFT Server functionality, prior to the 1DX this used to only be accessible if you had a WFT dongle but now the cameras have an Ethernet port we have a wide range of choices.

Also I kept an AC adapter kit from one of my 1DS MkIII's so I don't have to think about battery life. This was my first play with the remote setup at a low key event and venue and I couldn't be happier. I wouldn't change anything for a more serious deployment.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
privatebydesign said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Hi Jack, no it isn't cropped.

After playing around with the framing this looked optimal, lower and level made the drummers head/body too big in the frame, and angled down accentuated the frame/roof structure over the top giving the image a natural framing.

Remote is via the WFT Server functionality and the Ethernet port, I plugged the camera into the venues internet via a 50' Cat6 Ethernet cable that cost $15! I then controlled the camera via an iPad that was wirelessly connected to the same network. Up to three devices can connect at the same time via the built in WFT Server functionality, prior to the 1DX this used to only be accessible if you had a WFT dongle but now the cameras have an Ethernet port we have a wide range of choices.

Also I kept an AC adapter kit from one of my 1DS MkIII's so I don't have to think about battery life. This was my first play with the remote setup at a low key event and venue and I couldn't be happier. I wouldn't change anything for a more serious deployment.

Good thing you saved the AC adapter, new ones for the 1dx are like $850!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ethanz said:
Good thing you saved the AC adapter, new ones for the 1dx are like $850!

Yes you are 'limited' to 8 fps with the older AC Adapter Kit ACK-E4 as opposed to the full 14 fps with the designated AC Adapter Kit ACK-E19, but you can still get the older one from Canon for $130, and eBay has them for a lot less, glad I kept my genuine one though. And they used to be included!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks Scott. Wish you were near to go shooting with! So much to learn. :)

Jack

I'm sure I'll never stop learning too Jack!

Actually I did the gig, a two night seven act concert, as part of my local camera club. They are very active community supporters and they get crazy good access to all kinds of events and venues, I highly recommend like minded camera clubs as a really good resource for getting access to enable people to try different stuff and build a portfolio. I know it won't work for everybody but for those it does give it a go, it really helps trying stuff out without any stress about the results.

I learnt tons of stuff about the, relatively new to me, camera, AF settings, ISO performance, what I like and what I don't like.

Anytime you and your wife fancy a birding trip to Florida just message me, we have a spare room waiting.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
privatebydesign said:
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks Scott. Wish you were near to go shooting with! So much to learn. :)

Jack

I'm sure I'll never stop learning too Jack!

Actually I did the gig, a two night seven act concert, as part of my local camera club. They are very active community supporters and they get crazy good access to all kinds of events and venues, I highly recommend like minded camera clubs as a really good resource for getting access to enable people to try different stuff and build a portfolio. I know it won't work for everybody but for those it does give it a go, it really helps trying stuff out without any stress about the results.

I learnt tons of stuff about the, relatively new to me, camera, AF settings, ISO performance, what I like and what I don't like.

Anytime you and your wife fancy a birding trip to Florida just message me, we have a spare room waiting.

You're too generous Scott! Great advice that I will try to take since I really need more exposure to other peoples ideas, doubly so since my shooting buddy died a while back.

Jack

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Thought I should keep this thread going, lots of inspiration here :D

Couple of shots from today, just found a tree near a playground we were and got 5-6 shots before my Princess had had more than enough, lol.

1dx2+35 L II, Broncolor Siros 800 L to the left in a silver BD. Sun behind as edge.

Ps; Seriously, what was Canon thinking releasing the 85 f1.4 IS AFTER all the autumn colors are gone? :eek:

Attachments

• cr2.jpg
    cr2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 216
  • cr.jpg
    cr.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 156
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
ethanz said:
Wow. Great shots. Just looked that strobe up, pretty expensive.

Not to pry into your personal life, but do you always bring a studio strobe with you to the park?
Thanks!

Yeah, it's expensive, but I traded in my B1 and modifiers and got a REALLy nice price on a new Bron lamp, I had so much issues with Profoto (with the 1dx2) so upgraded without it costing more than two modifiers in between it was a no brainer :p

And, yes, I bring the light with me as much as possible, sitting at home it doesn't do all that much ;D

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Jack Douglas said:
Viggo, surely it's not just your photography; that's one very cute girl with such a sweet smile! Wonder what the future holds as she grows up (that's going to be faster than you like)? Makes me wish I'd done more when mine were little.

Jack

For sure! She’s my favorite subject to shoot. But she doesn’t like having her picture taken :p So I get the smallest of time frames, lol. The kids love to see pictures of themselves when they were younger so I use that, and candy, to talk them into a few shots.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Viggo said:
Jack Douglas said:
Viggo, surely it's not just your photography; that's one very cute girl with such a sweet smile! Wonder what the future holds as she grows up (that's going to be faster than you like)? Makes me wish I'd done more when mine were little.

Jack

For sure! She’s my favorite subject to shoot. But she doesn’t like having her picture taken :p So I get the smallest of time frames, lol. The kids love to see pictures of themselves when they were younger so I use that, and candy, to talk them into a few shots.

With her dad lugging a studio strobe out and about with him, I can understand why she resists taking pictures ;)

Serious question: Do you bring a softbox with the strobe? If not, what is the advantage of that strobe (plus a light stand?) over using a Canon speedlight?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
ethanz said:
Viggo said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

With her dad lugging a studio strobe out and about with him, I can understand why she resists taking pictures ;)

Serious question: Do you bring a softbox with the strobe? If not, what is the advantage of that strobe (plus a light stand?) over using a Canon speedlight?

Lol, they’re pretty used to it, and normally I bring it, but we just play, and I’ll try to sneak in a couple of shots here and there, but get about 40 seconds so at least I’m getting better at getting it setup without a lot of testshots 8)

The advantages are power and quality of light. Stability in power and color is insane with Broncolor. It would take a boatload of speedlites to reach 800ws in HS.

But yes, I am using modifiers, I have a few, but my silver BD and a white BD are my favorites. I used to use the Profoto Magnum hardlight reflector I loved, but the one I have from Bron, called p70, is too small for my liking. It needs to be very close to give the quality of light I like.

BTS shot here, iPhone looks almost the same, right? :mad:
Btw I shoot with the BD as close as possible, this is just to show the scene.

Attachments

• B609DB7D-A04A-4811-897A-B98013EA9915.jpeg
    B609DB7D-A04A-4811-897A-B98013EA9915.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 154
Upvote 0