Anything Shot with a 1Dx mark II

Dec 13, 2010
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks guys.

Viggo, it was not liveview, not sure what you mean by using contrast focus.

Mikehit, I subscribe to your procedure and will have to bite the bullet and go through that process with a remote. At this point I've done so many variants that I must confess I'm getting a little tired of it, but you are right. On the other hand I have gone through iterations with 1/2000 shutter and still had issues.

I have of course observed visual shake with 800mm that suggests I may need a higher shutter speed in general. I thought IS and 1/2000 surely should be enough??

Still, in all this my focus was on getting AFMA right and I believe inconsistent AF did not allow me to pinpoint a reliable AFMA value - like how to explain an hour of testing suggesting +12 and another day extensive shooting is saying +1, oh well, such is life! :)

I figure I'd have to send both the lens and camera in although the lens seems fine with the 6D. I hate to part with it for a month.

Jack

In live View when you focus without flipping the mirror you bypass the whole AF sensor. That way you will completely take out every bit of phase detection AF, thus you'll focus perfectly and afma will not be a part of the equation.

The best way to see what's what when it comes to sharpness.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Something has happened relative to the sharpness of my shots but I'm not quite sure yet. I think this shot shows clearly that my AFMA is at least close now. It's F10 1/1250 ISO 1000, 100% crop of 400 X2. It appears that my previous back lit photos are indeed part of the problem regarding not looking sharp. This has some fill flash.

Thoughts anyone?

Jack

Attachments

• Redpoll 100% crop_7289.JPG
    Redpoll 100% crop_7289.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 186
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
IDX2 PROBLEM!! I saw a thread on Art Morris's blog about oil shatters on the 1DX2 sensors. So I checked the sensor on my new 1DX2 and after less than 600 images, it already has oil splatters. The oil splatters appear as droplets and are difficult to clean. Importantly, many owners report that the problem persists after cleaning and Canon seems to offer no solution.

Check your sensor by shooting a grey or blue sky with any telephoto lens in AV mode. Go to manual AF and defocus to close focus. Jpeg is fine for the test. View the images at 200%.

This problem is wide spread. My neighbor just checked his sensor and also has oil platters. I encourage anyone affected to contact Canon and complain. Hopefully, Canon will develop a solution to the problem and not just clean the sensor.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mikehit said:
To my eyes, assuming you focussed on the eye, the 'correct' blades of grass are in focus.
The bird is still a bit fuzzy - how heavy was the crop? Shutter speed?

Cropped to roughly 4/20 MP and pp as best I could in DPP sharpness 4, DLO 70, no NR.

If I hadn't done so well with my 6D and 300 2.8 II X2 III I probably would be none the wiser.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
djack41 said:
IDX2 PROBLEM!! I saw a thread on Art Morris's blog about oil shatters on the 1DX2 sensors. So I checked the sensor on my new 1DX2 and after less than 600 images, it already has oil splatters. The oil splatters appear as droplets and are difficult to clean. Importantly, many owners report that the problem persists after cleaning and Canon seems to offer no solution.

Check your sensor by shooting a grey or blue sky with any telephoto lens in AV mode. Go to manual AF and defocus to close focus. Jpeg is fine for the test. View the images at 200%.

This problem is wide spread. My neighbor just checked his sensor and also has oil platters. I encourage anyone affected to contact Canon and complain. Hopefully, Canon will develop a solution to the problem and not just clean the sensor.

This is just not an issue at this point. Look at some sample Nikon D600 images to see what a real oil splatter problem is! https://garypoulton.com/tag/nikon-d600-sensor-problems/

As Mikehit points out and I agree, if you didn't notice it before, and you have to take a test image at uncommon apertures in uncommon exposure levels and then enlarge them to unrealistic zoom levels to notice it, can it really be called an 'issue'?

Relax, takes pictures with your camera, enjoy it's capabilities and remove any spots of dust or oil actually visible in your images at output sizes.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mikehit said:
If you have to magnify the image to 200%, is it a problem? You can say 'it should not happen' which is fair enough but if you had to do this to notice the droplets - is it a problem?

Why do you need to use a telephoto lens in AV mode?

I tend to agree, especially after PBD has chimed in that dust and spatter generally is not that big of a problem. I have quite a bit of spatter and in certain cases with some cropping it's showing. Here is my shot of the sky (crop of the top left 1/4 of FF).

I had oil spots on my 1D4 that I cleaned off using the VisibleDust kit for oil and I had to repeat many times, including purchasing numerous spare wipe sticks to get it half decent. Not something I plan to do again since I'm not the steadiest guy.

Jack

Attachments

• 1DX2 sensor dust photo_5925.JPG
    1DX2 sensor dust photo_5925.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
privatebydesign said:
djack41 said:

This is just not an issue at this point. Look at some sample Nikon D600 images to see what a real oil splatter problem is! https://garypoulton.com/tag/nikon-d600-sensor-problems/

As Mikehit points out and I agree, if you didn't notice it before, and you have to take a test image at uncommon apertures in uncommon exposure levels and then enlarge them to unrealistic zoom levels to notice it, can it really be called an 'issue'?

Relax, takes pictures with your camera, enjoy it's capabilities and remove any spots of dust or oil actually visible in your images at output sizes.

Scott, that is indeed a situation that would turn my stomach. I'm just too fussy a guy to be able to pretend a real problem is not a big deal.

However, I agree with the sentiment that pestering companies about very small issues is simply contributing to escalating costs and is wasteful of ones time.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thought I'd play around with trying to catch the deer that come late in the day and in this case well after dark. Obviously, flash is not very complimentary. I had one out on the lawn set at 20mm and the other cabled, just off the camera at 200mm and used the 400 DO II. Many shots had extremely steely eyes.

This is not cropped, and RAW optimized in DPP as best I could so I'd be interested in comments on whether it's soft. Now seeing it in CR (when enlarged), it just doesn't seem to me to be up to standard. Sunny and not too cold so I'll get Canon's requested AF shots today.

400 DO F4 II @ F8,1/250 flash sync, ISO 4000. I guess the grass says it's in focus.

Jack

Attachments

• Deer_7410.JPG
    Deer_7410.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 246
Upvote 0
djack41 said:

Early on after I got my 1DX II my sensor was very dirty as well. I cleaned it once and the problem didn't appear again nearly as quickly or to the same extent. For me the issue has seemed to diminish with time. Additionally, as I am usually shooting with large apertures on this camera (wildlife, etc) I rarely notice the issue. Interestingly, my 5DS R seems almost completely resistant to developing spots on the sensor. After 2 years of ownership and never having cleaned it I pretty much can't find any spots on the sensor even when looking hard!

I'm not sure complaining to Canon will produce much in the way of change. I would pick up a few sensor swabs and clean the sensor every once in a while. If your experience is like mine after a couple cleanings the issue will have greatly diminished or disappeared.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
WRS, I've cleaned my 6D sensor of dust - easy enough. However, when I cleaned the 1D4 that had oil spots I had to repeat numerous times using the appropriate visible dust solution and had to buy another kit and extra swab sticks, not cheap where I live. As a result I think my sensor would have to be pretty bad before I'd want to try that again. Perhaps I haven't done enough cleaning to develop the knack/confidence??

Jack

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Went another round with my 200, and adjusted with tip from one thread here with the idea that both near and far dof limit should be equally oof, and I thought my 200 might be a little in front and indded it was. Went from +3 to +5 and now it's back to it's insanely sharp self. Brought my B1 today as well as it was near summer today (snow last week, lol).

It was way too bright for him to relax his face, but at least he was happy :D

1dx2+200 f2.0. iso 100, f2.0, 1/4000s. Profoto B1 in BD white camera right at full power, sun top left as edge.

a37_cr.jpg

Upvote 0
Hello everyone.

I just received my 1DX MKII on Thursday and took it for a test drive to the local zoo yesterday.
I'm extremely impressed by the AF, speed and IQ of the camera.

It's just an incredible machine and I can't wait to spend more time with it.

Attachments

• AK6I0969.jpg
    AK6I0969.jpg
    839 KB · Views: 192
  • AK6I1523.jpg
    AK6I1523.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 191
  • AK6I1301.jpg
    AK6I1301.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 217
  • AK6I1205.jpg
    AK6I1205.jpg