Bears in the Wild

We took a tour into the Bute Inlet in Canada, BC. Spotted these little Grizzly cubs at Orford River. There were much more Grizzly bears around.

I used a 5D MKIII with the Canon 100-400 mm. The mother was with them and pretty close but the cubs were behind her. In this case we've had a guide with us but if we are hiking in the woods, where bears have their home we usually take a bell and pepper spray with us.

Attachments

• 2K3B2652-Edit.jpg
    2K3B2652-Edit.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 315
  • 2K3B2596-Edit.jpg
    2K3B2596-Edit.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 297
Upvote 0

docsavage123

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2011
Had my 6D for approx 2 days before I went to Finland to the Taiga forest on the Russian border in July- the high ISO is great on the 6D. I started off with the 7D on my 100-400 but switched to the 6D to give it a try out. These are all with the 6D + 100-400L

Attachments

• _MG_1545.jpg
    _MG_1545.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 409
  • _MG_0733.jpg
    _MG_0733.jpg
    697.3 KB · Views: 338
  • _MG_0796.jpg
    _MG_0796.jpg
    607.4 KB · Views: 380
  • _MG_0790.jpg
    _MG_0790.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 340
Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
Pakneh said:
I only ask as I frequently go for walks in the woods I find their trails often enough, I have a 200-500mm tamron antique and the temptation to just sit down and wait for one has hit me. Theeeeeeen I think other then the few times where I bumped into one and it ran away and the the info from books I have no insight into how they behave in the field. So lets stick to macro shots of mushrooms.

What is the etiquette of bear photography?

I appreciate the humour, at 6'4 my stride means I have plenty of slower companions.
The tammy would make a wicked blunt instrument I might add.

I am pretty familiar with black bears. Not so much grizzles, and their behavior is quite different.
#1 rule of black bears is they feel the same way about you as you do about them. if you come around a corner and BOOM you are within swatting distance of a bear and he is suprised, you might be in trouble. thats the idea of bear bells, to give some advance warning. a dog or walking companions or singing also works.

(careful with dogs, they need to be leashed or tested around bears. if they run out ahead of you and get aggresive, the bear may stand its ground and still be in a fighting mood when you arrive)

When I see a bear, I stop, check for cubs, stay in plain view, and slowly get closer until it notices me. then i stop, take pictures and wait for it to either back off or stand its ground. keep eye contact, move slowly and deliberately. i have never had a bear do anything other than evaluate the situation and either tolerate me or leave.

I have the best luck in a spot where i can walk and check several locations that the bears frequent. when you come upon one, you will have a few seconds to snap pictures before he takes off (or you do).

Sitting and waiting at a known feeding spot is a good plan too, but you have to know where they are. Pick somewhere where you are in the open a little, maybe shielded from the target area by some brush. if they see you before you see them, they most likely will not approach. ideally you and the bears both notice each other before anybody is too close to anyone. Last year i got pictures of a bear fishing, and he was very concerned that i was going to steal his fish. If i moved too fast or made noise, he would run back into the woods with his fish, hide it, and come back out.

Don't pick a spot where a bear can come out of the woods behind you very close by. they move on trails that are so small you may not notice them. what you thought was a handy place to sit and wait could be a bear highway, you are better on an open bank where any bears behind you will see you from 40' away or more.

Hope that helps. If you can catch a bear under a bridge you can get very close and they don't seem to look up very much. thats where i was, a small bridge that he was directly under.

Worst comes to worse and you get in a bad situation, prevailing wisdom is first back away slowly maintaining eye contact, and if you get charged (they paw the ground and bluff a few times first), either play dead or fight back while yelling, depending on how commited you think the bear is. I know of several people who have been charged and their yelling and stone throwing and stick swinging made the bear change its mind. Once the bear makes contact, play dead, they arent hunting you for food, they are trying to win a fight, so make them think they won. Never EVER EVER climb a tree or try and run away, bears legs are twice as long as they look, and they dont slow down AT ALL when they move from flat ground to straight up a tree.

Sorry for the giant post, one more thing to add: if you get a chance to take a grizzly spotting tour by boat, do it. you will get the best access to the best locations, and the bears dont seem very concerned about things out on the water. most of the amazing bear fishing and cub shots you see from around here are from boats.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
Pakneh said:
I only ask as I frequently go for walks in the woods I find their trails often enough, I have a 200-500mm tamron antique and the temptation to just sit down and wait for one has hit me. Theeeeeeen I think other then the few times where I bumped into one and it ran away and the the info from books I have no insight into how they behave in the field. So lets stick to macro shots of mushrooms.

What is the etiquette of bear photography?

I appreciate the humour, at 6'4 my stride means I have plenty of slower companions.
The tammy would make a wicked blunt instrument I might add.

*nods* I can't add anything of substance, but couldn't resist the joke.
We don't have bears here in the south of Sweden - we could, possibly, but not likely, encounter a lynx, or a wolf in the wild. This time of year the worst that we risk meeting is moose, they can get drunk after eating apples that's fallen from trees.
In general, I would say that the best thing to be equipped with in the wild is knowledge, awareness, and humbleness.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
Logan, a bear keg (canister) is simply a very sturdy plastic or carbon-fiber container with a lid that requires tools to open. The food and smelly stuff (scented soap, flavored tea - anything that could smell food-ish) is put in the keg, preferably having been put in an odor-proof plastic bag first. The keg is left on the ground maybe 100 yards from the campsite. If the bear smells anything in the keg, he/she can't open it. He/she can stomp on it, throw it around, move it, but can't crack it open in its jaws or can't pry the lid off to get at the goodies. Your tent is free of good-smelling stuff, so the bear isn't inclined to check you out. Bear doesn't learn to connect campers with free food, therefore doesn't wander into campsites panicking campers into confronting the bear, leading to possible injury for the human and summary execution of the bear by other humans (or later execution of the bear, hopefully the correct one, by rangers). Using a bear keg properly (or other effective way of keeping bears out of campsite and out of human food) is a win-win situation for both species. The old style way of keeping food away from bears was the Pacific Crest Trail style suspension of the food sack 20 feet off the ground and 20 feet from any supportive tree branch. Few people do it right. As I said, I have better things to do at dusk (golden, blue hour) than putz with finding the ideal pair of trees and throwing line to tie up the bag. Better to just drop the keg a distance from camp.

http://www.bearsmart.com/becoming-bear-smart/play/securing-food-garbage
http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/bear-resistant-canisters.html
The one I bought for solo weekend trips:
http://sectionhiker.com/bare-boxer-contender-a-small-2-3-day-bear-canister/

You are the visitor - it's THEIR home.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
NancyP said:
Logan, a bear keg (canister) is simply a very sturdy plastic or carbon-fiber container with a lid that requires tools to open. The food and smelly stuff (scented soap, flavored tea - anything that could smell food-ish) is put in the keg, preferably having been put in an odor-proof plastic bag first. The keg is left on the ground maybe 100 yards from the campsite. If the bear smells anything in the keg, he/she can't open it. He/she can stomp on it, throw it around, move it, but can't crack it open in its jaws or can't pry the lid off to get at the goodies. Your tent is free of good-smelling stuff, so the bear isn't inclined to check you out. Bear doesn't learn to connect campers with free food, therefore doesn't wander into campsites panicking campers into confronting the bear, leading to possible injury for the human and summary execution of the bear by other humans (or later execution of the bear, hopefully the correct one, by rangers). Using a bear keg properly (or other effective way of keeping bears out of campsite and out of human food) is a win-win situation for both species. The old style way of keeping food away from bears was the Pacific Crest Trail style suspension of the food sack 20 feet off the ground and 20 feet from any supportive tree branch. Few people do it right. As I said, I have better things to do at dusk (golden, blue hour) than putz with finding the ideal pair of trees and throwing line to tie up the bag. Better to just drop the keg a distance from camp.

http://www.bearsmart.com/becoming-bear-smart/play/securing-food-garbage
http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/bear-resistant-canisters.html
The one I bought for solo weekend trips:
http://sectionhiker.com/bare-boxer-contender-a-small-2-3-day-bear-canister/

You are the visitor - it's THEIR home.

huh, sounds like it would be handy at elevation or in the north where there are no trees. always just used the rope method, its just part of the camp ritual. come from a mountaineering background where the weight of a canister would be a non starter, although when kayaking we used to use an olive barrel to keep food in just because it was a perfect fit for the hatch, and i guess they would be pretty bear proof.

heres some other pictures from quatse the other day, give pakneh a better idea of it.
first one is when the bear decided to leave the path we were sharing (after sitting down to scratch his nuts apparently)
second one is much closer on the riverbank, but he recognized that the water was a barrier and continued on his way without much concern for us.

Attachments

• 20140914-20140914-IMG_5943.jpg
    20140914-20140914-IMG_5943.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 297
  • 20140914-20140914-IMG_5952.jpg
    20140914-20140914-IMG_5952.jpg
    937.9 KB · Views: 282
Upvote 0
From a recent trip to Alaska & Canada.

Katmai National Park
large.jpg

Thumb River - Karluk Lake
large.jpg

Pavlof Bay
large.jpg

Glendale Cove
large.jpg

Phil.

Upvote 0
Pakneh said:
For those who went out with the intent of photographing bears, other then your photography gear what else to do you bring? Witnesses? Bear spray?

I just moved to Alaska, so I'm relatively new to being able to reliably see bears, but I definitely bring bear spray and have it ready to go. I don't use a bear bell because the rangers up here say they are not very effective. I usually listen to audio books when I'm by myself, at max volume, in the top of my pack. Human voices are the best for not surprising a bear. Which is pretty much the worst thing you could do!

And a bear canister for food. Setup camp in an equilateral triangle. With camp at one point, bear canister at one point, and kitchen at one point. Don't want to give them ANY reason to get curious about tents!

Upvote 0