Bingo! New Canon 5Ds has 50.6 MP new rumored specs

All I wanted was Sony/Nikon like dynamic range, great color, clean low ISO's.
Looks like we aren't getting that and a release 4+ months away! - pretty typical Canon.
Pretty disappointed, I thought they were finally coming around, but not very surprised after all.

I'm getting a Sony a7r for the time being for my TS-Es and see what happens.
I will most likely be getting that 11-24 though if its as good as it looks.

Upvote 0
kphoto99 said:
traveller said:
Chuck Westfall has insisted that the 5DS sensor is designed and manufactured in-house, but what is interesting is the fact that it doesn’t feature Dual-pixel AF (and neither do the 750D, 760D nor EOS-M3).

I understood that DPAF is part of the core design of the sensor, you can’t just remove it from or add it to the front of existing sensors. Thus, assuming that these new sensors don’t simply have DPAF disabled (why would you do that -especially if you are going to add HCAF, like on the 750/760D?), they are of a fundamentally different design to the 7D MkII.

Maybe Canon has decided that DPAF is a dead end.

More likely the split into 100 Million photosites would result in technical problems.
And it´s not a camera aimed at Video anyway.

Upvote 0
ecqns said:
Looks like we aren't getting that and a release 4+ months away! - pretty typical Canon.
Pretty disappointed, I thought they were finally coming around, but not very surprised after all.

I did that as soon as a7r became available and I was not disappointed.
I am using a7r mostly with Canon TS-E 17, Canon EF 24-70 F.2.8 L II USM and Sony Zeiss 55 F1.8.
What is interesting that using Canon manual TS-E 17 on a7r is much more easier and more convenient than on Canon camera as a7R has EVF and focus peaking feature. Viewing 10x enlarged focus area in EVF with focus peaking makes it extremely easy for manual focusing.

I had a hope that 5Ds would have sensor with performance similar to Sony sensors (or Aptina sensors with their new sensor technologies) but this did not come true.
5Ds has very nice set of new exciting features (which I would be very interested to use) and if that would be combined with sensor which is on par with existing Sony sensor in a7R that would be really game changing combination.
But only increase to 50mpx based on old sensor tech is not attractive at all to me. Sony a7R with Canon lenses works perfectly well and provides extremely well looking images. Will see soon what Sony will answer with new Hi-Res camera ( ???a7rII or a9 ???) which is rumored to have new tech 46mpx sensor

Attachments

• Sony Roadmap.JPG
    Sony Roadmap.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 802
Upvote 0
kphoto99 said:
traveller said:
Chuck Westfall has insisted that the 5DS sensor is designed and manufactured in-house, but what is interesting is the fact that it doesn’t feature Dual-pixel AF (and neither do the 750D, 760D nor EOS-M3).
Maybe Canon has decided that DPAF is a dead end.

My guess that it's about sensor yield.

Rumor has it that Canon didn't "upscale" their crop sensors before because the flaws in the manufacturing process of the sensor die are frequent and given the large ff size, this would make it very expensive. Probably the have optimized it so can go ahead...

... but: enabling dpaf might lower the yield even more, so they probably just disabled it as it's not that important for the 5ds. Maybe like cpu manufacturers disabling cores or parts of the cache when a die has a flaw so they don't need to dump the whole thing.

Upvote 0
msm said:
Canon just saved me alot of money :p.

Canon keeps being Canon, evolving their legacy dslr line step by step, avoiding big decisions or risks if the can help it (that's why they do a 5ds and 5ds-r, even though Nikon decided to only do one d810 w/o low pass filter).

Canon are very good at the numbers game and keep shuffling around their lineup, try to limit r&d costs and re-assemble new gear from old designs. If you're not ok with switch to Sonikon or - as you indicate - simply skip a couple of generations.

I don't think this will ever change unless they get in serious trouble with their current policy, and as the 5ds will find a lot of customers the end isn't nigh.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
msm said:

Canon keeps being Canon, evolving their legacy dslr line step by step, avoiding big decisions or risks if the can help it (that's why they do a 5ds and 5ds-r, even though Nikon decided to only do one d810 w/o low pass filter).

Canon are very good at the numbers game and keep shuffling around their lineup, try to limit r&d costs and re-assemble new gear from old designs. If you're not ok with switch to Sonikon or - as you indicate - simply skip a couple of generations.

I don't think this will ever change unless they get in serious trouble with their current policy, and as the 5ds will find a lot of customers the end isn't nigh.

If I understand your post correctly, I fully agree. I had the 5D1 and hoped for better AF and more resolution. When the 5D2, came out, I got more resolution but the same crappy AF system. They could have easily put in better AF as they were doing it in lower end models, but they INTENTIONALLY held back the features. Then the 5D3 comes out and AF improves, but not resolution. Now with the 5DS, they improve resolution, but keep everything else (the stuff that matters to me) the same. It's probably good product marketing for Canon, but they sure don't lead the market with innovation. That said, I would probably do the same if I was in their shoes, but it still pisses me off.

For my preferences, it seems like they are releasing improvements a tiny bit a time and holding back improvements or even regressing if they can get away with it. They make cameras JUST good enough. I really hope this is not just a larger 7D2 sensor.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
msm said:

+1 Canon is running a business, and for now, well enough to lead in market share.

Off Topic: The "shuffling around their lineup" comment reminds me of Taco Bell. [For those outside the US, it's a fast-food chain that makes Mexican food -- and I use that description very loosely.] They really only have a handful of ingredients (tortillas, ground beef, chicken, rice, beans, onions, lettuce, orangey-yellowish stuff they call cheese, et cetera), yet they seem to come out with a new way to combine these ingredients into some "new" product all the time, with an equally creatively concocted name. Somehow they stay in business. Occasionally, they even get my business...don't ask my why. :p

Upvote 0

msm

Jun 8, 2013
Mogwai2 said:
msm said:
A camera that is specialized for landscape that is 2-3stops behind the competition in DR. And all this blahblah about damped mirror but still it has a mechanical first curtain. Canon just saved me alot of money :p.

So we can read you eloquent writings where in the future? A Sony forum?
But you promise you are gone here? :)

When in doubt use LiveView... no problem with first curtain.
But an "EXPERT" like you will sure know that....
::)

Never claimed to be an expert nor promised to go anywhere. But maybe you are so maybe you can explain why there is no problem with first curtain in live view?

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Famateur said:
V8Beast said:
So Canon's business strategy is like Taco Bell? That's the best analogy I've heard yet ;D

LOL...not really, in a serious way, but Marsu's description reminded me of it. Glad you like it, even if it's just meant for a laugh. :p
But taco bell has quite a system to support those tacos. Like those cinnamon twists and Burritos. ::) ::) ::)

Upvote 0
V8Beast said:
So Canon's business strategy is like Taco Bell? That's the best analogy I've heard yet ;D

Except Taco Bell's share price over the last 5 years is steadily trending up while Canon's is steadily trending down... maybe Canon needs to accept that the same old ingredients won't cut it in the Camera business. ::)

Upvote 0
ecqns said:

+1!

Upvote 0
RobertG. said:
ecqns said:

+1!
+1
Same old Canon Colors (a good thing), same old Canon DR (Not a good thing) but now there is more of it. Really these cameras should have been released a couple of months after the 5D III if they are not going to break ground in other areas besides resolution. Its all rather boring. Maybe ML can add dual ISO to them and salvage the situation.

I am going to continue using my Canon 6D for wildlife. I do not regret upgrading my Nex6 to a A7 II at all now. After buying some more lenses I will likely pick up an A7 r II and possibly a 7D II for the Tamron 150-600.

Upvote 0
Maiaibing said:
V8Beast said:

Except Taco Bell's share price over the last 5 years is steadily trending up while Canon's is steadily trending down... maybe Canon needs to accept that the same old ingredients won't cut it in the Camera business. ::)

True. I wonder how much of that is from KFC and Pizza Hut (the other chains owned by Yum Brands).

Maybe Canon should start selling fried chicken and pizza. ;D

Then again, the 5DS R might be considered "extra crispy" with that AA cancellation filter. :p

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
ecqns said:
I'm getting a Sony a7r for the time being

I just picked up A7r with Zeiss 55mm even before the 5Ds announcement, thinking I don't need 50 MP, even if it was Sony sensor with better DR. Finding out its a Canon 50 MP sensor with same DR as 5D III just makes me glad I picked up the A7r.

I will still use my 5D III for most things, but A7r is a nice portable/backup solution. I do wish the A7r had either a touch screen to utilize touch-focus or a 5D III type joystick for moving AF points. Pushing C1 button to activate AF point to move, then using the front dial to move AF point up/down and a separate back dial to move AF point left/right a slow, painful, annoying process for A7r.. :'(

Upvote 0