Bingo! New Canon 5Ds has 50.6 MP new rumored specs

sparda79 said:
rambarra said:
leaked press realease from canonwatch:

http://www.canonwatch.com/cw5-canon-eos-5ds-eos-5ds-r-ef-11-24mm-f4l-press-release-leaked/

seems like cameras will be getting a canon sensor?

;D LOL... That site has more trolls than Mordor...

No kidding! It's like the youtube comments of the camera world. I would be ashamed if I ran that website. :(

Upvote 0
sparda79 said:
rambarra said:
leaked press realease from canonwatch:

http://www.canonwatch.com/cw5-canon-eos-5ds-eos-5ds-r-ef-11-24mm-f4l-press-release-leaked/

seems like cameras will be getting a canon sensor?

;D LOL... That site has more trolls than Mordor...

Indeed! But I had a good laugh reading those comments, there's also another fake neuroanatomist.

Upvote 0
a question please to the more knowledgeable folk here.

When the D800 was launched, there was a lot of talk about using the proper techniques to ensure you got sharp images based on the resolution. If the pixel density of the 5Ds will be similar to the 7d MK II, why is this never said about APS-C cameras, and does it therefore only apply to the high resolution models? If it is only the high resolution sensors, could please someone explain, in simple terms, why this is.

Thanks in advance

Roll on 6hrs 15 mins :)

Upvote 0

AshtonNekolah

Time doesn't wait, Shoot Like It's Your Last.
pedro said:
Hi, just saw this at NL

"Two new 5D variants are suggested, both with a 50.6MP full frame CMOS sensor
An EOS 5DS R version will be without low-pass filter
Magnesium alloy body, dust and water sealed
Dual DIGIC6
ISO 100-6400
5 fps
High precision 61 AF points
EOS iTR AF
150,000 pixel RGB + IR photometry sensor
New "fine detail" picture style
1.3x and 1.6x crop modes
Customisable "Quick Control Screen"
Time-lapse movie
Interval Timer, Bulb timer
This info (and pic) first appeared on the japanese site [DC - Google xlt]"

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdigicame-info.com%2F2015%2F01%2Feos-5ds-eos-5ds-r.html&edit-text=

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5ds.html

I would go as far to say it looks more like 100MP detail this machine can pump out. But dont take my word for it.

Upvote 0
Stu_bert said:
If it is only the high resolution sensors, could please someone explain, in simple terms, why this is.

It's about pixels per image height. If you take a picture of, lets say, an animal in the zoo you could either use ff/300/4mm or APS-C/200/2.8mm, you'll get basically the same result. The same amount of shake will cause the same details to vanish.
But if you use a higher res ff sensor you should be able to resolve smaller details - those have already been destroyed when you're applying the same standards as before.

Upvote 0
Lawliet said:
Stu_bert said:
If it is only the high resolution sensors, could please someone explain, in simple terms, why this is.

It's about pixels per image height. If you take a picture of, lets say, an animal in the zoo you could either use ff/300/4mm or APS-C/200/2.8mm, you'll get basically the same result. The same amount of shake will cause the same details to vanish.
But if you use a higher res ff sensor you should be able to resolve smaller details - those have already been destroyed when you're applying the same standards as before.

Thanks for replying, and sorry, but I'm not quite clear. I get the point about different lenses / different focal lengths. But if my high res sensor has the same pixel density as it's APS brethren, does it apply equally to both (as in the caution required) ?

Off to bed, so won't be able to read any response for a few hours :)

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Stu_bert said:
Lawliet said:
Stu_bert said:

Thanks for replying, and sorry, but I'm not quite clear. I get the point about different lenses / different focal lengths. But if my high res sensor has the same pixel density as it's APS brethren, does it apply equally to both (as in the caution required) ?

It applies to both equally if you look at the pixel level, or 1.6 times more on the crop camera if you keep final size constant.

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
Stu_bert said:
Lawliet said:
Stu_bert said:

It applies to both equally if you look at the pixel level, or 1.6 times more on the crop camera if you keep final size constant.

Thank you. So why don't we hear much (or do we and I'm just not very observant) about the same issues with APS-C sensors?

Upvote 0
Stu_bert said:
Thank you. So why don't we hear much (or do we and I'm just not very observant) about the same issues with APS-C sensors?
Because you get a much tighter framing, here everybody expects to need higher shutter speeds or a tripod.
People keep quoting the 1/f rule of thumb, 1/400s for 400mm and so on. With crop cameras people understood that the focal length has to be the apparent FL to keep the validity so you needed 1/640 under otherwise similar circumstances. Now with the higher res sensor you get the original framing of the lens back, but still require the faster shutter speed from the crop camera - it's the same pixel pitch after all, just with more picture along the borders. That raise from 1/400 to 1/640 would be the one way to get sharp pictures, the other would involve better technique, to get similar improvements at the old shutter speed.
(nota bene: the rule of thumb is just that; between higher resolution and IS it's even less set in stone then in analouge times)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Stu_bert said:
So why don't we hear much (or do we and I'm just not very observant) about the same issues with APS-C sensors?

Where were you when the 7D came out, and many people upgrading from the 10 MP 40D complained that their old camera was sharper...until they learned to use a higher shutter speed?

Upvote 0
Stu_bert said:
a question please to the more knowledgeable folk here.

When the D800 was launched, there was a lot of talk about using the proper techniques to ensure you got sharp images based on the resolution. If the pixel density of the 5Ds will be similar to the 7d MK II, why is this never said about APS-C cameras, and does it therefore only apply to the high resolution models? If it is only the high resolution sensors, could please someone explain, in simple terms, why this is.

Thanks in advance

Roll on 6hrs 15 mins :)

You do have to use proper technique to maximize the pixel density of a body like the 7D II.
I have had the discussion many times in the forums.
It is often overlooked or ignored and occasionally surfaces during a crop factor benefit debate, usually thrown out to discount the reach advantage of a crop body.

Upvote 0
Lawliet said:
Stu_bert said:
Because you get a much tighter framing, here everybody expects to need higher shutter speeds or a tripod.
People keep quoting the 1/f rule of thumb, 1/400s for 400mm and so on. With crop cameras people understood that the focal length has to be the apparent FL to keep the validity so you needed 1/640 under otherwise similar circumstances. Now with the higher res sensor you get the original framing of the lens back, but still require the faster shutter speed from the crop camera - it's the same pixel pitch after all, just with more picture along the borders. That raise from 1/400 to 1/640 would be the one way to get sharp pictures, the other would involve better technique, to get similar improvements at the old shutter speed.
(nota bene: the rule of thumb is just that; between higher resolution and IS it's even less set in stone then in analouge times)

And all this time I thought the reason you have to take more care to get the benefit of a higher resolution sensor would be that the smaller the subject detail you are trying to resolve the steadier your camera would have to be.

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
Well, we were discussing ML type Dual ISO .... could this be our boy?

http://www.slrlounge.com/patent-basis-canons-rumored-new-sensors-2015/

Good find! I had forgotten about that article and patent. We're just hours away from the official release, and I'm excited to see what Canon will show us.

I'm hoping that having so many announcements on one day isn't to try to have quantity make up for the quality...

Upvote 0