BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
That snow on the eagle gives a really cool effect! Awesome shot, ethanz.

Also a funny sea gull you got there AlanF. I love seeing images that are not staged to appear funny but simply capture some cool context.

Also, a big compliment to everybody who posts such wonderful images here. I've been reading a lot of the posts from this thread and found the images to be really special, so I gave bird photography a shot a few days ago. My humble 80D + EF-S 55-250mm left me wanting for quite a lot of extra reach for the birds that I saw in the sky ... But I managed to get a sharp picture of a crow taking off. As the other birds were so high up that they only occupy a few pixels on the sensor, I decided to make a composite out of the three largest to be able to show them without wasting too much space among these lovely images.

I was quite amazed to find so many different and cool birds at the location, since I actually came there to shoot the landscape and birds were originally just an afterthought. Experiencing how hard capturing these animals in action really is and seeing how far from the quality of my results is from that of the other images on this thread, I have now even more respect for the work all you others here have shared. Thanks for getting that stuff out there! I'm looking forward to learning how to improve, seeing what can be done is quite the motivation.

On that note, what was that about getting up early for better bird images? Is that helpfull in general or did it only refer to some specific bird?

Attachments

• BobergDüne-11.jpg
    BobergDüne-11.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 117
  • BIFComp.jpg
    BIFComp.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
lion rock said:
Joules,
Shots well done.
Most times, it is not the equipment that gives optimum results. Its the operator that is the most important. Sure, we like to think having the best equipment make for the best results, that's GAS talking.
-r
You certainly are right there. I've only had the lens for a weak, and the camera hasn't been out too many times either yet. Appart from me usually shooting landscapes, bugs & buildings, not birds. So there definitively is much room for improvement on the operator side of things ;D

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Joules said:
On that note, what was that about getting up early for better bird images? Is that helpfull in general or did it only refer to some specific bird?

It has been told to me that a lot of birds will start hunting for food at sunrise. If they get enough food, they may not continue to hunt. And usually there is better lighting at sunset, as opposed to direct, harsh overhead light.

Keep up the good work Joules, your equipment can still capture good stuff. Now a days I scarcely even take the time to try and capture birds more than 100 meters away. Its so hard for cameras to focus that far, even with the best lens. Thats why it takes time and skill, you have to try to be as close to the birds as you can. Sometimes that means sitting and waiting a long time (which I don't often do lol).

Upvote 0