BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Snappy604,
Ladner is a small, quite community, very nice when we drove by. We liked it.
"Lion Rock" is a landmark in Hong Kong. No need to guess where I come from, is there?
-r

snappy604 said:
lion rock said:
True, it is ONLY more than 2700 miles (4300 km) to Vancouver for me. Nothing to write home about 8).
Another factor was that it was not a pleasure trip for me this time, much of which was with family members who congregated together for a somber service.
Did hear of other locations that have more concentration of eagles, particularly near the dump and harbour, I didn't want to drag the rest of the group to those places (as much as I want to.)
Near the James River, Virginia, early February is best for eagles, though cold. By March, they have gone into nesting and less visible.
-r

Jack Douglas said:
Ah, but Riley has to travel quite a distance to get there, I think. ;)

Jack

sorry thought you were local with mentioning Ladner and your user id could be the famous rock peaks near us 'the lions'..

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
We are now in New Zealand. This afternoon my wife and I took shots of a Gannet almost simultaneously. Her shot using the 100-400mm II on the 5DSR (top) is sharper than mine using the 400mm DO II on the 5DIV, which is expected from the better resolution I find on charts. I seem to have picked up a blue patch in the sky.

Attachments

• gannet_headdown_3Q7A8152_DxO_gannet_headdown_1.jpg
    gannet_headdown_3Q7A8152_DxO_gannet_headdown_1.jpg
    803.6 KB · Views: 109
  • gannet_headdown_2B4A7735_DxO_gannet_headdown_1.jpg
    gannet_headdown_2B4A7735_DxO_gannet_headdown_1.jpg
    584.2 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0
AlanF said:
We are now in New Zealand. This afternoon my wife and I took shots of a Gannet almost simultaneously. Her shot using the 100-400mm II on the 5DSR (top) is sharper than mine using the 400mm DO II on the 5DIV, which is expected from the better resolution I find on charts. I seem to have picked up a blue patch in the sky.

Talking about "catching the moment"! You and your wife even managed that "squared" ;) 8)
Great shots by themselves, the pose of the bird adds something really special...
Was this Gannet scratching an itchy spot (which is what it looks to me) or what?

Wiebe.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
AlanF said:

Nice shots.

We returned from NZ only last Sunday - whereabouts were these taken?

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
AlanF said:

Very nice shots. Excellent timing. :)

I prefer the second one. More contrast in the sky.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Nat_WA said:
AlanF said:

Talking about "catching the moment"! You and your wife even managed that "squared" ;) 8)
Great shots by themselves, the pose of the bird adds something really special...
Was this Gannet scratching an itchy spot (which is what it looks to me) or what?

Wiebe.

+1

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Mikehit said:
AlanF said:

Nice shots.

We returned from NZ only last Sunday - whereabouts were these taken?

Near Auckland in Waitakere. There was a gale raging, and a split second difference between the two shots altered the cloud cover.

Thanks for your comment.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nat_WA said:
AlanF said:

Wiebe.

Thanks. The wind was so strong that the gannet was battling it.

Thanks Click and Jack.

Upvote 0
Hope your visit was an excellent one.
Visiting there was a great deal already. To get some wonderful shots there was the cream of the trip!
-r

AlanF said:

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Click said:
AlanF said:

Very nice shots. Excellent timing. :)

I prefer the second one. More contrast in the sky.
I prefer the 2nd one too! The sky and the overall image, seems to resolve just a tad better for me... Great catch!

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
snappy604 said:
Talys said:
Wow, Snappy, the last one is very cool. Nice series!

Is the second one a harrier?

While I love taking pictures of wildlife, I'm not a true birder, so not sure. Originally thought it was a redtail hawk, looks like it possibly is? I think this one shows the bird clearer, but the background was a bit less interesting :)
Simply Beautiful Snappy! :D

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
lion rock said:
Hope your visit was an excellent one.
Visiting there was a great deal already. To get some wonderful shots there was the cream of the trip!
-r

AlanF said:

I took this one just for you: Lion Rock, Piha Beach, Waitakere.

Attachments

• lionrock_3Q7A8252_DxO_small.jpg
    lionrock_3Q7A8252_DxO_small.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0