BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
beforeEos Camaras said:
ethanz said:
Is a snowy egret different than just an egret? The egrets I have taken pictures of did not have the yellow feet I think.
yes black legs yellow feet are part of the id of the bird. it was made famous by Audubon being of north America birds he painted.
A good place to look if unsure, and I was very unsure:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Snowy_Egret/id

Cheers Brian

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
bjd said:
Mikehit said:
Common terns, Farne Islands

1Dx2 and 400DOii

Great shot. Is it still worth going there this late in the year?
Cheers Brian

Thank you Brian
It will still be OK for 2-3 weeks if last year is anything to go by. We went with Billy Shiels and if you phone them up they are very helpful with updates on the population movement - apparently like swallows on the phone wires, puffins give 'a few days notice' lining up on the cliff edge. They (Billy Shiels, not the puffins|) rarely book 2-3 days ahead because of the variability of the weather (well, it variable in 'normal' years anyway) which affects sailings, but they give give some idea of how it is looking.

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Mikehit said:
bjd said:
Mikehit said:
Common terns, Farne Islands

1Dx2 and 400DOii

Great shot. Is it still worth going there this late in the year?
Cheers Brian

Thank you Brian
It will still be OK for 2-3 weeks if last year is anything to go by. We went with Billy Shiels and if you phone them up they are very helpful with updates on the population movement - apparently like swallows on the phone wires, puffins give 'a few days notice' lining up on the cliff edge. The (Billy Shiels, not the puffins|) rarely book 2-3 days ahead because of the variability of the weather (well, it variable in 'normal' years anyway) which affects sailings, but they give give some idea of how it is looking.

Thanks very much Mike.
Cheers Brian

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
applecider said:
Great shots mike....

With the possible future appearance of other DO lenses are you happy with the 400 DOii? Iteration one had the weird bokeh and issues with weak contrast, what say you to the virtues of the DO ii, and extender use?

Thx Steve

Thank you applecider.
The 400DOii is an amazing lens - I have not used the original but this mkii has excellent contrast and works superbly with mkiii extenders. I cannot praise it highly enough.

Upvote 0