BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

HankMD

SLR newbie since July, 2012
CR Pro
Oct 14, 2013
Taiwan
Nat_WA said:
As promised in the 'Bird portrait' topic; some BiF shots from Suriname;
some kind of large Egret or Stork - anyone care to "name" this bird for me?

Wiebe.

My first impression was of a Gray Heron but something just didn't look right (the beak and shape of the dark cap). I looked up herons of Suriname. Sure enough, there's a close cousin called Cocoi Heron. Apparently GBH, GH, and CH constitute a superspecies.

PS: for comparison here's a GH I shot in January.
Gray Heron / 蒼鷺 (Ardea cinerea) by 阿堯, on Flickr

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Upvote 0
HankMD said:
Nat_WA said:
As promised in the 'Bird portrait' topic; some BiF shots from Suriname;
some kind of large Egret or Stork - anyone care to "name" this bird for me?

Wiebe.

My first impression was of a Gray Heron but something just didn't look right (the beak and shape of the dark cap). I looked up herons of Suriname. Sure enough, there's a close cousin called Cocoi Heron. Apparently GBH, GH, and CH constitute a superspecies.

PS: for comparison here's a GH I shot in January.

Thanks for taking the time identifying the bird HankMD! Indeed I inquired with my travel companions and concluded it should be the Cocoi Heron.
Cool shot of the Grey Heron yourself btw; nice to have the blurry background (courtesy of the larger distance between bird and background ;) ) while the bird is nice and sharp!

What is your favorite AF setting for this kind of work? (Noticing you have an identical camera / lens setup as I'm using...) I'm still trying out different settings of AF point coverage and responsiveness to achieve best and most consistent sharpness for BiF, so any advice is appreciated!

Wiebe.

Upvote 0