BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Thanks Nat_WA.

It is a joy to see these creatures chase each other and even make contacts as they juggle to "own" a feeder. Despite their small size, they're fierce little things and have superb sight. They perch over 40 feet away in a tree branch and when a yummy approaches "their" feeder, they fly speedily and chase the intruder away. Though they stay away at a distance from a bee stealing sugar solution.

Where are you located that you don't have hummingbirds?
-r

Upvote 0

Where are you located that you don't have hummingbirds?
-r

Netherlands - which is supposed to have a moderate / cool climate (although the last 4-6 weeks we've had temperatures of 30-35 degr.C without rain to speak of, so it's feeling like sub-tropics ;))
Hummingbirds only occur in the (collection of) America's and mainly in the warmer parts; not in Europe...

Upvote 0
The Netherlands, I would love to visit. Maybe some day.
Hummingbirds are in the Americas, most of the species travel south in the winter, more than 3500km! We get them generally in mid April to mid October. The birds seem to have a very good memory; when they get back, they will visit the location of the feeders I put out, and if I'm late in April bringing the feeders out, they'll buzz around looking for the feeders. These are wonderful creatures, not "bird brains," quite smart. They're curious, too. Sometimes when I'm having breakfast on the deck, they'll fly as close as a couple of meters to look at me :cool:.
Hope you'll get a chance to see them in person.
-r

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
A couple took after dinner tonight. Hand held so not the best.
-r

Nice shots, lion rock. I especially like the second one.
0057.gif

Upvote 0
From the James River Richmond VA 8/9/2018. Canon 7D MK II and a Sigma 100-400 1/2000 F8 ISO 500-1000

Attachments

• RB017660.jpg
    RB017660.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 134
  • RB019247.jpg
    RB019247.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 125
  • RB017727.jpg
    RB017727.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 138
  • RB019379.jpg
    RB019379.jpg
    569.9 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Spent a couple of days on the Yorkshire coast. Beautiful weather, lovely people and some good birds. Here is a female kestrel shot with 5DSR + 100-400mm II + 1.4xTC.

Great shot of this bird Alan! I'm quite partial to these small birds of prey - they are so elegant and purposeful...
Perfect exposure also, these birds have a tendency to hover with their back to the sun, so the head and eyes are shaded - but yours is beautiful :). Sharp as well, for me the combo 7DII, 100-400 II + 1.4xIII lacks that last bit of sharpness that the 100-400 itself does have but on your 5DSR it looks perfect... Do you use IS on or off btw.?
Wiebe.

Upvote 0