BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
A common buzzard this afternoon. It was horribly backlit and the diffractive optics lenses work badly against the light. A lot of post-processing brought out the image. The light is shining through the feathers.

DSC_4014-DxO_buzzard_cv_A_SH_A.jpg

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Alan! Since I didn't have opportunity to shoot BIF (or just didn't look for it...) and since I really feel pain (somewhere) when the birds are not showing their natural colors, I decided to "kidnap" your photo and adjust it to my taste. Sorry about that and my apologies if you feel it wasn't appropriate! I'm going to send you the DXO PL3 file so you can see what I have done (I think you have the PL3 elite installed) - fast and simple.

DSC_4014-DxO_buzzard_cv_A_SH_A_DxO_DxO.jpg

Reactions: Valvebounce

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Alan! Since I didn't have opportunity to shoot BIF (or just didn't look for it...) and since I really feel pain (somewhere) when the birds are not showing their natural colors, I decided to "kidnap" your photo and adjust it to my taste. Sorry about that and my apologies if you feel it wasn't appropriate! I'm going to send you the DXO PL3 file so you can see what I have done (I think you have the PL3 elite installed) - fast and simple.

View attachment 190888
Thanks for your comments. Here is the original tweaked only by setting the contrast and microcontrast to 70 in PL3. These are probably the most natural colours. Colours do depend on whether the bird is front or rear illuminated. Its a real problem with back lighting with DO lenses, they are great for front lit subjects.

DSC_4014-DxO_buzzard-70_C+MC.jpg

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Different location and another Buzzard. This time it was 8.30 in the evening, the golden hour with sun behind me. We were on an after-dinner stroll near our house, the Buzzard mid meal. These opportunities come only rarely - it's the first time I've captured a Buzzard with its prey. No pp apart from increasing exposure as I shoot in manual. It's remarkable how a change of angle to the sun
changes the light.

DSC_4069-DxO_buzzard+prey-lsss.jpg
DSC_4081-DxO_buzzard+prey-lsss.jpg
DSC_4084-DxO_buzzard+prey-lsss.jpg

<-- start Taboola -->