BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
The late start on Sunday made for challenging light conditions, so I did the best I could and concentrated more on tracking the action. Managed a few acceptable frames, including a surprise flyby from the neighborhood kingfisher. I got them coming...

View attachment 196916

and going...

View attachment 196917

Backlit

View attachment 196918

and one with the sun in my favor.

View attachment 196919

Thanks for looking!
Nice photos and no need to thank for looking - we are going to look anyway:p:)!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Today got some time for little bit more post processing of part of the photos from Sunday. And this time posting in the right forum:).
Framing is the best (from my point of view) I could get from that close distance: I didn't have a time to zoom by legs....DSC_6713_DxO.jpgDSC_6714_DxO.jpgDSC_6729_DxO.jpgDSC_6741_DxO.jpgDSC_6715_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0
One of the local Yellow Crowned Night Heron's bringing a stick back to the nest.
i-vMCJcbW-4K.jpg

R5 600 II w/1.4X 1/3200 : f/6.3 : ISO 1000

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I know most of the people will not like badly framed BIF. In this case I had no option to go back - right behind of me was the wall of the Biomed building in UH Manoa campus.
On other hand I had a lot of fun trying to track the White terns on the background of the tree's foliage messed up with bright sky!!!
Classical example where the 35mm camera will easily beat the crop-camera (speed with higher ISO and better framing).

DSC_6899_DxO.jpgDSC_6900_DxO.jpgDSC_6910_DxO.jpgDSC_6922_DxO-1.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I know most of the people will not like badly framed BIF. In this case I had no option to go back - right behind of me was the wall of the Biomed building in UH Manoa campus.
On other hand I had a lot of fun trying to track the White terns on the background of the tree's foliage messed up with bright sky!!!
Classical example where the 35mm camera will easily beat the crop-camera (speed with higher ISO and better framing).

View attachment 197495View attachment 197496View attachment 197497View attachment 197498
They are very nice shots. As you say, this where the FF is more useful for framing or using a zoom and zooming out. But, all gear is a compromise. Anyway, very satisfying shots with lots of detail.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
They are very nice shots. As you say, this where the FF is more useful for framing or using a zoom and zooming out. But, all gear is a compromise. Anyway, very satisfying shots with lots of detail.
Thanks Alan!
I was with the prime. On other hand I'm not sure the 200-500 will get so easily initial focus on that background. Once there it usually is able to track... somewhat:)!

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Went to the beach. There wasn't a wide assortment of birds, and the wife had me on a short leash, so not much variety. It was very windy, so the birds were slow moving, which helped a lot since my BIF shooting is rather rusty. All shots taken with the R5/100-500L combo at 500mm.

Here's a laughing gull. I did a poor job of removing the shadows in the corners, but I like the bird's expression.
Day Lillies--4.jpg

I know pelicans are not challenging to shoot but I've, nonetheless, have not previously had much success. These are among my best efforts.
Sea Birds--6.jpg

Sea Birds--7.jpg

Sea Birds--8.jpg
Sea Birds--4.jpg

Sea Birds--5.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Went to the beach. There wasn't a wide assortment of birds, and the wife had me on a short leash, so not much variety. It was very windy, so the birds were slow moving, which helped a lot since my BIF shooting is rather rusty. All shots taken with the R5/100-500L combo at 500mm.

Here's a laughing gull. I did a poor job of removing the shadows in the corners, but I like the bird's expression.

I know pelicans are not challenging to shoot but I've, nonetheless, have not previously had much success. These are among my best efforts.

Very nice series. I especially like the 3rd picture.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Very nice series. I especially like the 3rd picture.
Thanks!

On that 3rd shot, having a good lens is nice, but it's hard to beat getting close with good light. This was definitely the closest I got to the pelicans, and I was rewarded with excellent detail.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0