BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
So, the snowy egret, standing in the water, took flight--towards me! Unfortunately, I didn't have time (or the reflexes) to lower the FL from 500mm. Nonetheless, I found these closeups enjoyable (sometimes the whole body isn't needed). 1/2000sec, ISO3200, 500mm, f/7.1. Snowy Egret--11.jpgSnowy Egret--12.jpgSnowy Egret--13.jpgSnowy Egret--14.jpgSnowy Egret--16.jpgSnowy Egret--17.jpgSnowy Egret--18.jpgSnowy Egret--15.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Billybob, they're not scarce. We don't have any anywhere in Europe. HBs live only in northern, mid and south america. That's it! :oops:

We "only" have the hummingbird hawk-moth which I also like to photograph but didn't succeed yet ;)

Please say "thank you" to her, as she makes it possible for us to see such great pictures from you (y)
Actually in Germany you should have two more species of day-flying Sphingidae - genus Hemaris! Very similar to Macroglosum.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Actually in Germany you should have two more species of day-flying Sphingidae - genus Hemaris! Very similar to Macroglosum.
I'll watch out for them ;). But in my garden I only saw hummingbird hawk-moths.
This weekend I managed to get some decent shots. I'll post them in the "Butterflies, Moths and Assorted Insects..." thread ,as soon as I'll find the time to process them.

Edit: Posted them there

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And the results from today - the Inca Tern was missing (~3.5 hours on the nearby cliffs - time to time checking for it from above, there was no reason to go down on the cliff if it was not there). Got few more shots of the Red-tailed Tropic Bird. I missed a White-tailed one - too big distance for reasonable photo (I still have no good photo of that one)!

DSC_0989_DxO.jpgDSC_1110_DxO.jpgDSC_1117_DxO.jpgDSC_1388_DxO.jpgDSC_1431_DxO.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
And the results from today - the Inca Tern was missing (~3.5 hours on the nearby cliffs - time to time checking for it from above, there was no reason to go down on the cliff if it was not there). Got few more shots of the Red-tailed Tropic Bird. I missed a White-tailed one - too big distance for reasonable photo (I still have no good photo of that one)!

View attachment 200017View attachment 200018View attachment 200019View attachment 200020View attachment 200021
Great shots of a very interesting bird for me. Hope you get the missing on.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Juvenile Little Grebe taxiing

View attachment 200025
Nice shot Alan! I know by experience that tracking in this situation could be not actually easier than tracking of BIF. And you was happy- these guys usually prefer to dive instead of flying if disturbed :). This particular one may just try what actually his/here wings can do:rolleyes:?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC

View attachment 200017View attachment 200018View attachment 200019View attachment 200020View attachment 200021
One good tern deserves another!

Upvote 0

Billybob

May 22, 2016
Magnificent series ISv!

Upvote 0

Billybob

May 22, 2016
Some friends from a recent California visit including a tern (not quite in the same league as ISv's tern, but we do our best).

A rather dreary, sunless day at Bolsa Chica in Huntington Beach (it doesn't rain in Southern California, but I definitely felt some drops!).

First, a little guy, a semipalmated plover.
Cal Birds--8.jpg

Next is a Caspian tern fishing and successfully catching a fish.
Cal Birds--9.jpgCal Birds--10.jpg
Cal Birds--11.jpg

A Marbled Godwit
Cal Birds-6654.jpgCal Birds--16.jpg

And Last, a Willet
Cal Birds--2.jpgCal Birds-.jpg

Attachments

• Cal Birds--12.jpg
    Cal Birds--12.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0