Black Rapid Backpack Strap

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
FTb-n said:
mnclayshooter said:
Okay - let me ask you this... Do you think that putting a lens (on a tripod ring/foot like the 100-400) into the capture clip even makes sense... maybe I'm over thinking it. I will have 2 clips coming next week. I'll do some testing... maybe I'll have one clip for sale. ;D
Good question. I use the collar on my 70-200 with a monopod for figure skating, so I keep a Manfrotto clip in it. Generally, however, I prefer to leave the collar home. I suspect the clip on the body will work better. The lens collar may be too centered weight-wise and prone to swinging.

My goal was to be able to carry the 100-400 (without body attached) while on longer hikes. While I do like having flexibility, carrying two bodies and two lenses on longer distances, especially which involve climbing/scrambling... just seems like extra weight for no real gain. I was thinking I could carry the 100-400 in one of the carry clips and the camera and the UWA on the other. I think though... I like the idea of carrying the 100-400 with the body attached and carrying the UWA in a pocket still etc. It's not often that the mountains/trees etc are moving quickly relative to my camera, so there's time to swap a lens if needed, while on the other hand, having the reach of a zoom comes in handy when, for example you come across a hawk or eagle etc. (6D - 100-400 v1 at dusk).

Attachments

• IMG_3193-2.jpg
    IMG_3193-2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 269
  • IMG_3195.jpg
    IMG_3195.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 0
I do a lot of snowshoeing/wildlife shootng in the winter. I use a br sport left attached to the lens foot. I like to have an uwa in my pocket.. it works well because the camera is hanging at your side ready to do some quick wildlife shooting but if you want to do a landscape shot you take the camera off and the big lens still hangs there while you put on your other lens and snap a few shots.

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
candc said:
I do a lot of snowshoeing/wildlife shootng in the winter. I use a br sport left attached to the lens foot. I like to have an uwa in my pocket.. it works well because the camera is hanging at your side ready to do some quick wildlife shooting but if you want to do a landscape shot you take the camera off and the big lens still hangs there while you put on your other lens and snap a few shots.

This is exactly the setup I've been using... the BR sport on one side with the zoom and then the UWA or macro in the pocket.

Given that I've dang-near smashed my camera on rocks while scrambling up sections of a trail, I think the Capture Pro's will give me another option when the day will bring potential camera-damaging hazards.

I live in MN... the majority of the time the trails I'm hiking/walking aren't rocky or all that steep. When you get up along the shore of Lake Superior, we do have some more technical stuff, more hills, more rocks, more cliffs etc.

I did upgrade my BR sport to add a 1" Kirk Arca clamp on the end so that I can keep the arca-plate on the camera full time for faster/less hassle switching between mono/tripod and sling. The great news is that I can keep doing that with the capturepro arca plates. Another bonus for adaptability/flexibility of my overall carrying system.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
No single good answer. Depends on what you want to carry, what's on your back, and how much "protection" you want to provide. I have been using a TT holster on my chest with my 5Diii and a lense in that holster. I keep the camera strap loose around my neck for "insurance" but the camera and lens is totally supported by the holster with the top zipped about 3/4 closed. This lets me bring out the camera quickly for a shot. If the weather gets ugly, I can drop the neck strap into the holster and close it completely and even put the TT rain over over it.

I used to attach the holster to the backpack straps using straps from Optecha. But, this required dealing with the camera when stopping or taking my pack off. On my last trek, I used the TT harness to hold the holster so the holster remained on my chest when removing the pack and was independent of the pack.

Pros: complete freedom to use trekking poles, good protection from dust/rain/falls, able to use both hands for climbing or scampering over boulders, camera quickly accessible.

Cons: can be hard to see my feet on steep downhills unless I nudge the holster to the side, need to bring an alternate way to carry when not on trail (I keep a shoulder/neck strap in my backpack that clips onto the holster for walking around town or campsites), in hot weather the combo can be uncomfortable cause both the backpack and front holster together are not conducive to ventilation/cooling.

Upvote 0
For mountain biking and climbing I use a think tank belt and harness with 2 holsters. Crop camera with tamron 150-600 on one side and 6d with 16-35 on the other. It is very stable, no swinging and you have both hands free. Only drawback is you have to put the camera in the holster when you are not using it and it is not on a strap when you are so if you dropped it, its gone.

Upvote 0
To the issue of holsters being a liability if you drop a camera... I use the Cotton Carrier holsters, and they come with these little straps and clips so that you have your camera clipped in, even though you're using the holster.

I actually don't use them (I have a fear that I'd come to rely on the expectation my camera is on a strap, and then someday I'd just let it go), but that's there for people worried about such things.

Upvote 0