Candid portraits

Crapking

"Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
Nov 9, 2011
jjlabella.photoshelter.com
nightbreath said:
We started experimenting with self-portraits few weeks ago, here are first examples:

_QWrS8dOxa4.jpg

05bJJIRn0i4.jpg

kg-KWLENYx4.jpg

yEv8xuno7fw.jpg

Nice images, but not exactly 'candid' portraits. Every now and again, we debate the meaning of 'candid', but as OP, I am really hoping to keep on-thread by having posters display and discuss settings/strategies used to quickly capture unplanned/unposed moments in time. My intent with the thread is to see/learn what and HOW others use their cameras to spontaneously and quickly make memories worth sharing.

I guess using a self-timer is a strategy I hadn't thought about till now, so maybe it actually does meet the criteria. :)

Just hoping all posters remember to describe their settings/situation more in detail so we all can learn to step out of our comfort zone of controlling the lighting/posing, etc.

Upvote 0

Crapking

"Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
Nov 9, 2011
jjlabella.photoshelter.com
n0iZe said:
Here's one "candid portrait".
Shot with a Canon EOS 450D and a 50mm f/1.4 USM mounted to it.
ISO 100, f/1.8, 1/60sec

Let me know what you think.

Nice composition, thanks for including exif info! Love it when they are unplanned and spontaneous. I guess indoors and hoping for some bokeh you needed to shoot more wide open (1.8, but ISO only 100? I'd thought you be willing to go a little higher to allow quicker shutter speed, but that's what making these candids is all about. Quickly setting camera, do you remember which mode you had set?

My only 'critique' is post-processing (lack thereof). Skin tones look a little off. But, this thread is NOT the place to get into that?

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Crapking said:
n0iZe said:
Here's one "candid portrait".
Shot with a Canon EOS 450D and a 50mm f/1.4 USM mounted to it.
ISO 100, f/1.8, 1/60sec

Let me know what you think.

Nice composition, thanks for including exif info! Love it when they are unplanned and spontaneous. I guess indoors and hoping for some bokeh you needed to shoot more wide open (1.8, but ISO only 100? I'd thought you be willing to go a little higher to allow quicker shutter speed, but that's what making these candids is all about. Quickly setting camera, do you remember which mode you had set?

My only 'critique' is post-processing (lack thereof). Skin tones look a little off. But, this thread is NOT the place to get into that?

Do you mean bokeh or bg blur?

Upvote 0

tphillips63

CR Pro
Jun 17, 2012
Texas
ghosh9691 said:
NotABunny said:
Crapking said:
Here it is again - not sure why it is different

It's the same thing. I've read that Chrome always considers that photos are sRGB.

Here's a photo exported with ProPhoto (I'm curious if it works). Yuck, it doesn't! It's green as hell.

Okay, here's the same photo exported with aRGB. It doesn't work, but the colors are interesting. The orange is muted.

And below is exported with sRGB.

(Oh, they have EXIF: 40D, 70-200 F4 IS)

Chrome is not a color managed browser. IE9, Safari 5 and the latest versions of Firefox are. That is why your color in Chrome (and I see the same too) look crappy. Ditch Chrome.

I never noticed until I read this but comparing IE and Chrome side by side it is obvious.
http://mansurovs.com/is-your-browser-color-managed

Upvote 0