Canon’s 2024 Roadmap, and the timeline surprised us [CR3]

It will be interesting what these bring in terms of performance. R5 II might only be a basic update (eg fix the overheating and a few software updates, same sensor / processor). The R5 is so good it will be hard to do a major improvement.
After this amount of time I can't see the R5II being that minor an update, though no doubt it will disappoint some vocal critics (but anything would).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
It will be interesting what these bring in terms of performance. R5 II might only be a basic update (eg fix the overheating and a few software updates, same sensor / processor). The R5 is so good it will be hard to do a major improvement. The R1 will be more interesting, it’s not on paper a big upgrade on an R3, it will be interesting if the changes make it a much better tool (better focusing, no overheating, large buffer, pre capture, better tracking). It’s very hard to do better than marginal improvements.
The overheating is basically fixed with overheat warnings turned off and raw lite options. If that isn’t good enough then the R5c is the best choice.
Lots of firmware improvements eg better pixel shift, pre shutter button recording, variable eshutter speeds, sound for eshutter, more custom modes, ability to turn off ibis for wide angle, no simple way to measure the mechanical shutter count and my favorite annoyance is not being able to remap the rate button to something useful. Bright monitoring like Sony would be great as well.
There have been more lists of suggestions given to canon support feedback previously

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Canon also doesn’t specify that the bit depth of the r5 drops to 13bit in efcs and 12 bit in e-shutter . It is on a website somewhere but strange that it is not mentioned in the advanced user guide.
EFCS is still 14bit RAW. ES is 12bit. However if you shoot heif / jpg, it won't matter.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Honestly, I wouldn't hesitate to get even closer. If your willing to part with them money, there's always the ef 50mm 1.0 too...
I actually considered purchasing one of those, years ago. But after watching the reviews it was a super soft lens, and I just love the tack sharpness of the RF 50 1.2, even wide open. That lens is on my camera probably 60% of the time. I get that a lot of people don't like shooting wide open, and that's awesome for them. I enjoy shooting wide open, and my clients love their images... it's a win-win.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I actually considered purchasing one of those, years ago. But after watching the reviews it was a super soft lens, and I just love the tack sharpness of the RF 50 1.2, even wide open. That lens is on my camera probably 60% of the time. I get that a lot of people don't like shooting wide open, and that's awesome for them. I enjoy shooting wide open, and my clients love their images... it's a win-win.
I like shooting wide open, too. I'm even willing to accept the softness.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
It will be interesting what these bring in terms of performance. R5 II might only be a basic update (eg fix the overheating and a few software updates, same sensor / processor). The R5 is so good it will be hard to do a major improvement. The R1 will be more interesting, it’s not on paper a big upgrade on an R3, it will be interesting if the changes make it a much better tool (better focusing, no overheating, large buffer, pre capture, better tracking). It’s very hard to do better than marginal improvements.

Idle speculation, but I was actually thinking if Canon was going to try and promote both of them at a major sporting event it could mean pretty solid things for the R5II. If it's not quick, rolling shutter will be a talking point, and if it's too low res, it won't look strong enough compared to its bigger siblings. Likewise, another miss like the overheating probably wouldn't fly in that environment. If I was releasing something more warmed over, I'd do a development announcement and then showcase the camera in more favorable conditions at a press event later in the year.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I like shooting wide open, too. I'm even willing to accept the softness.
I like my share of shooting open too, but IMO there’s a big difference between some softness and simply out of focus.
If we are talking about groups of people (or penguins - what ever) it’s easier to make an appealing ultra shallow dof image when it’s viewed on a phone or tablet, but when you enlarge it in high dpi, say A3 in a wedding book the oof areas that your eye expects to be in focus then disappoints. No doubt this is due to dof being influenced by enlargement and viewing distance. At least that’s been my experience in producing wedding books.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If we are talking about groups of people (or penguins - what ever) it’s easier to make an appealing ultra shallow dof image when it’s viewed on a phone or tablet, but when you enlarge it in high dpi, say A3 in a wedding book the oof areas that your eye expects to be in focus then disappoints.
Subject isolation is great, and I'm a fan of it. But if there's another person/penguin/whatever that is not your main subject but is at the same distance as your intended subject and thus is also in focus, IMO the isolation fails.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Subject isolation is great, and I'm a fan of it. But if there's another person/penguin/whatever that is not your main subject but is at the same distance as your intended subject and thus is also in focus, IMO the isolation fails.
Without a doubt, and again increased output resolution and magnification exaggerate the effect, to the detriment of the picture.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
What is the settings config that allows for the fastest FPS one can have while still capturing in 14-bit?
All fully mechanical shutter configs and for EFCS: H or slower. At ISO 100.

You can check photonstophotos to see where the ISO value takes you below 13/12 bits, IIRC that’s at 200 and 800.

Upvote 0

TwoWheeler

Pointlessly lugs heavy expensive gear around.
Nov 9, 2023
The answer here is obvious - the R5II will be coming with “penguins” in the subject detection list.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Without a doubt, and again increased output resolution and magnification exaggerate the effect, to the detriment of the picture.
To me, it depends on the subject, intent, and intended viewers. Hopefully, there is consideration about those things at each stage from lens selection, location in relation to subjects / non subjects, settings, post processing and printing. Being negligent about any of it would usually be bad, but there are "happy accidents," too. Hopefully there is enough experience to know when a risk has more potential to pay off and to remember keeping the settings the same for every shot might not be the best idea.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
In other words, CR doesn't have it quite figured out. Nor do their sources. Amusing post. Not really credible. Same as with their original R5 announcement.
The big question is: Are the people at Canon HQ quietly laughing about all the rumour sites or are they laughing out loud?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
I like my share of shooting open too, but IMO there’s a big difference between some softness and simply out of focus.
If we are talking about groups of people (or penguins - what ever) it’s easier to make an appealing ultra shallow dof image when it’s viewed on a phone or tablet, but when you enlarge it in high dpi, say A3 in a wedding book the oof areas that your eye expects to be in focus then disappoints. No doubt this is due to dof being influenced by enlargement and viewing distance. At least that’s been my experience in producing wedding books.
I also find that unless at least ~15% of the image area is properly in focus, the out of focus parts are pretty much guaranteed to be a detraction for the viewer for larger prints. Filling the frame with an in-focus person wide open with a 35/1.4 is tricky. Absolute magic when it works, though. Very much up close and personal. Perfect for kids, IMHO

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
In other words, CR doesn't have it quite figured out. Nor do their sources. Amusing post. Not really credible. Same as with their original R5 announcement.

The second paragraph:
This source doesn't comment ahead of time on all new product releases, but when they do, they have been 100% correct. The source was unable to nail down definitive announcement dates, but those may not even be decided by Canon at this time.

Upvote 0