Canon’s roadmap for 2019, included an EOS R camera that no one is expecting? [CR2]

Jun 29, 2016
Let's not forget: The biggest hurdle is attracting new customers to take up ILC cameras (affluent younger people who might have had their interest stimulated via their phones and never heard of FD mount etc.), not so much holding on to people who have already bought in (older people with money who die off everyday or just quit buying due to advanced age). First time adopters to a camera system is what is needed, and that is exactly the group that is shrinking thanks, among other things, to low birth rates compared to the boomers who were sired by the earlier generations. In twenty years it is likely the largest portion of this forum membership will be dead and our gear on the Antiques Road Show as curiosities. Depressing. Mentors needed. ;) It would be very interesting to get an age breakdown of the forum membership here, wouldn't it? Betcha we are all mostly over 40. I'm 56 (1963), so right on the tail end of the baby boom. I've one child. My mother and her mother both had 5. My siblings have: 0, 2, 2, and 4. So we aren't replacing ourselves. ;) The big growth will be in the developing world. Our whole hobby is niche.
Interesting point, however, the developing world will mostly focus on cell-phone cameras and those instant-online apps for their photography. To attract them you need a cheap, light and smaller as possible cameras. But we already seen that the point and shoot were the first to suffer from the cell-phones (as better they were and still are - sensor and lens wise).

Upvote 0
Maybe it's a Mirorless FF with no video features with huge fps for photos to be kitted with both the 35mm 1.8 and the to be released 24-24mm 4.0-6.3 for 2400/w extintion grip or body only w/extintion grip for 1500.

Man .. I would love a "R" with two slots and no video features.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Hmm, maybe an "R-f" retrostyled Rangefinder styled R mount body with a plain Tiltscreen screen, not fully articulated, with an ovf/evf, and joystick. The current RP is practically flat on the top midplate, all they need to do is shift it to the left and call it a different model. A head scratcher, but I would buy it and slap the 35/1.8 RF on it and call it a day. They could even bundle the two together and sell it the hipster kit.

Upvote 0
How about a form factor change for the body - an R mount on a cube. Canon has a similar start with an entry level video camera (xc-10). It would solve the vertical/horizontal dilemma with a square image (new square sensor perhaps), could offer interchangeable viewfinders (lucrative accessory market) , provide internal space for larger (or multiple) batteries (another option?), utilize the R mount to stimulate lens sales, have a variety of "handle" options and provide some industry innovation Canon seldom gets credit for.
I could see third party accessory companies making Rubik cube silicon cases or even Lego styled accessories.

Upvote 0
Nope. He hasn't used it. He has no idea about sales figures either. Sometimes people just like to make things up.
To be honest, nikon and sony has wrily bad sensors. I mean images are yellowish. Everybody try to show us on YouTube "look dr how bad is on Canon iven for something what you can not see on printed pictures". Canon and fuji(shadow's) has the best colour write from the cameras. But negative campaigns are stronger. Everything else is just software. So man stop talking about r is shrinking. Maybe Canon must think of very hight rf lenses cost. AND IF YOU WANT 4K,8K,100K Video, go to shop and buy a camcorder. We are talking about pure photography.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
One thing that I didn't see mentioned that I just thought of may be that Canon may try to do with the RP that they did with the m5 and M6. remove the EVF and make it as small as possible (and as cheap).
i would do other way ,remove lcd and put viewfinder to top ,sensor more back. viewfinder is lot smaller than lcd

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
One thing that I didn't see mentioned that I just thought of may be that Canon may try to do with the RP that they did with the m5 and M6. remove the EVF and make it as small as possible (and as cheap).
That's actually makes sense, although they might need something comparable to the 15-45 M kit lens to go with it.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
The M6 approach would also make sense for an astro version. No need for the EVF.
You might be onto something here! The R series travel body. No EVF, same sensor, RP battery, small grip, M5 style back. Not for me but I could easily see Canon doing this over many of our conjectures. I believe mine (monochrome is too far out there)

Upvote 0