Canon 200-400mm review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
kaihp said:
GMCPhotographics said:
Warrenl said:

Lol...I was in the audience when this shot was taken and yes I saw this chap with this lens in the Press pit.
Give me a few days and I'll dig out a photo of this very moment from a less ideal spot :D

Which of the 6 different shots are you talking about?

Soz, First shot and on review it was a different day. His shot was during one of the qualifying heats. I was there for the finals and she was wearing white on that particular day:
943351_10151481822411705_159203169_n.jpg

988900_10151481822351705_1309200091_n.jpg

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
bchernicoff said:
I don't think the background blur looks very good at all. And looking at the focal lengths printed under the images, I feel like everyone of them would have been better shot at 300mm f/2.8 and cropped if necessary. This assumes these weren't crops already.

Well the lens is never going to be all things to all photographers, but I own the 200f/2, 300f/2.8 & 400f/2.8 Version 2 Lenses, Plus the 600f/4 Version 2, and more based on what I've seen in Andy Rousse's Review, I'de have to disagree that @ f/4 this Lens isn't just as good as any of the Primes I mentioned above, time will tell of course, once we have a few being used and start to see the Images, but I'm sold. If you haven't already, have a look here, can't see too much wrong with Bokah @ f/4, or at any other f/stop. I imagine the Photographer didn't shoot his Images at f/2.8 is because this is an f/4 Lens through the Zoom Range without the 1.4x Converter in place.

http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/index.php?page_id=174

Upvote 0
eml58 said:
bchernicoff said:
I don't think the background blur looks very good at all. And looking at the focal lengths printed under the images, I feel like everyone of them would have been better shot at 300mm f/2.8 and cropped if necessary. This assumes these weren't crops already.

Well the lens is never going to be all things to all photographers, but I own the 200f/2, 300f/2.8 & 400f/2.8 Version 2 Lenses, Plus the 600f/4 Version 2, and more based on what I've seen in Andy Rousse's Review, I'de have to disagree that @ f/4 this Lens isn't just as good as any of the Primes I mentioned above, time will tell of course, once we have a few being used and start to see the Images, but I'm sold. If you haven't already, have a look here, can't see too much wrong with Bokah @ f/4, or at any other f/stop. I imagine the Photographer didn't shoot his Images at f/2.8 is because this is an f/4 Lens through the Zoom Range without the 1.4x Converter in place.

http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/index.php?page_id=174

I was suggesting that the photographer could have just used the 300mm f/2.8 II lens. Andy's images look fantastic though and I'm sure the flexibility of having a zoom is a big help in a lot of scenarios.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.