Canon 5D3 vs. Nikon D600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
Freelancer said:
nikon has the better sensors for pushing the shadows.
there is no fanboy blahblah that can change that.

canon is lucky that a camera is more then the sensor.

Is it luck? Nikon has had 'the better sensors' for several years now...years during which Canon gained dSLR market share while Nikon lost dSLR market share. Doesn't sound like luck to me, sounds like Canon knows better where to spend their R&D yen in terms of what consumers really want, or at least their advertising yen... ;)

Upvote 0
Gadger said:
I've got both the Canon 5D mk lll and the Nikon D600. Without the analysing between them, for me I bought the Nikon D600 to use while travelling, being ideal for lighter, smaller and reduced the lens weight.

My Canon lens 17-40 4L, 24-70 2.8L, 100-400 4/5.6L (also used to take the 70-200 2.8L IS, but stopped this lens a while ago due to the weight) to the Nikon lens setup of 16-35 F4 VR and 28-300 VR.

I've got a Virgin flight coming up with just 6KG handle luggage allowance and one bag only. I've been checked at the check-in and caught a couple of times, over the limit. Then having to quickly spread the weight between the hold suite cases, which I don't like letting my expensive Canon white lens going in the hold.

So for me its fit for purpose. :D

Tip for travelling on airlines. Take your camera out of your bag and wear it on the shoulder straps. Pack it when you get on the plane (you can repack it after security if you like and then unpack it again if they check at the gate). I fly a lot i.e. 80 flights a year mix of short and long haul and I'm often carrying a lot of gear in carryon although I pick airlines like BA who have a 23kg carryon limit (provided you can lift it yourself with no assistance). I've never been asked to add the camera to the pack at check in.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:
I think that it has just taken time for the better sensors to get into camera models that actually get attention: D800 & D600.

Three years ago, the D7000's APS-C sensor was way 'better' than it's competitor, the 7D (in DxOMark-land). Which was more popular?

And while the geeks are yapping about miniscule differences in sensors, Canon is scooping up even more market share by discounting a four-year camera to undercut sales of the D600 and lock buyers into their system.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Freelancer said:

Is it luck? Nikon has had 'the better sensors' for several years now...years during which Canon gained dSLR market share while Nikon lost dSLR market share. Doesn't sound like luck to me, sounds like Canon knows better where to spend their R&D yen in terms of what consumers really want, or at least their advertising yen... ;)

Sure, and why would we care about that? Are we supposed to buy the better performing camera or the better marketed one? Nikon seems to be better addressing enthusiasts whereas Canon seems to better address consumers. Now, which ones are we?

And anyway I think I see more and more Nikon cameras around. Just an impression of course, can't quantify it or give it a wordwide validity.

Upvote 0
Mikael Risedal said:
5dmk2 and d800 same exposure time, f-stop base iso
5dmk2 developed in camera raw and DPP and d800 in camera raw so that details/information can be seen equally in the white house wall and in the white towel in front of the garden house =high lights reproduction.
Then we look in the shadows, low levels , an area is selected in the low levels and auto contrast is laid, auto contrast are showing levels , details, noise in the selected area , no personal influence , photoshop is calculating the signal level from the pixels values. This is the results of 2-3 extra stops DR in low levels. And how to use it- it is up to the photographer and the skills to use photoshop...

how did this thread go from comparing the 5D3 & D600 to comparing the 5D2 & D800? How about a Rebel xti versus a D4?

Upvote 0
Albi86 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Freelancer said:

Sure, and why would we care about that? Are we supposed to buy the better performing camera or the better marketed one? Nikon seems to be better addressing enthusiasts whereas Canon seems to better address consumers. Now, which ones are we?

And anyway I think I see more and more Nikon cameras around. Just an impression of course, can't quantify it or give it a wordwide validity.

Sorry, I know neuro already did this, but I have to do it again:

DXO DOES NOT TEST CAMERAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Mooose said:
Mikael Risedal said:
5dmk2 and d800 same exposure time, f-stop base iso
5dmk2 developed in camera raw and DPP and d800 in camera raw so that details/information can be seen equally in the white house wall and in the white towel in front of the garden house =high lights reproduction.
Then we look in the shadows, low levels , an area is selected in the low levels and auto contrast is laid, auto contrast are showing levels , details, noise in the selected area , no personal influence , photoshop is calculating the signal level from the pixels values. This is the results of 2-3 extra stops DR in low levels. And how to use it- it is up to the photographer and the skills to use photoshop...

how did this thread go from comparing the 5D3 & D600 to comparing the 5D2 & D800? How about a Rebel xti versus a D4?

Lol we might as well compare the 1DX to the D600. ::)

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:
I think that it has just taken time for the better sensors to get into camera models that actually get attention: D800 & D600.

Three years ago, the D7000's APS-C sensor was way 'better' than it's competitor, the 7D (in DxOMark-land). Which was more popular?

And while the geeks are yapping about miniscule differences in sensors, Canon is scooping up even more market share by discounting a four-year camera to undercut sales of the D600 and lock buyers into their system.

+1000 ;)

Upvote 0
G

generalstuff

neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:

Yes, which one was it , I have not seen any soner SRL figures then this.
Photoscala has posted an interesting Gain & Loss analysis of the worldwide DSLR market, for the period 2006-2008. According to their findings Canon, who were the undisputed worldwide leaders in 2006, have lost 9 percentage points and barely managed to keep their number one position against Nikon, who have gained 4 percentage points in the meantime. The biggest winner is Sony, who managed to more than double their market share, and took the third position from Olympus with ease. The rest of the market is devoid of any major changes, although Panasonic has managed to double its share, partially owing to its introduction of the DMC-G1 (which is, technically speaking, not a DSLR, but is nevertheless included in the figures). Nota bene: Photoscala warns that these numbers, which were derived from multiple sources, are to be taken with a grain of salt, but allegedly “the tendencies have been captured quite accurately”.

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
generalstuff said:
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:

Yes, which one was it , I have not seen any soner SRL figures then this.
Photoscala has posted an interesting Gain & Loss analysis of the worldwide DSLR market, for the period 2006-2008. According to their findings Canon, who were the undisputed worldwide leaders in 2006, have lost 9 percentage points and barely managed to keep their number one position against Nikon, who have gained 4 percentage points in the meantime. The biggest winner is Sony, who managed to more than double their market share, and took the third position from Olympus with ease. The rest of the market is devoid of any major changes, although Panasonic has managed to double its share, partially owing to its introduction of the DMC-G1 (which is, technically speaking, not a DSLR, but is nevertheless included in the figures). Nota bene: Photoscala warns that these numbers, which were derived from multiple sources, are to be taken with a grain of salt, but allegedly “the tendencies have been captured quite accurately”.

Do you have actual numbers? Last I heard (and this is for 2011-2012, a far more relevant timeframe than 2006-2008), Canon held around 45% of the digital camera market, Nikon held about 28-29% of the market, and Sony around 10%. It is easy to grow, relatively speaking, by a huge amount when your market share is still only a fraction of what your main competitors have. Sony doubling their market share would mean going from 5% to 10% market share...which is still 1/5th of Canon's market share. (Ironically, I think Sony actually had a far greater percentage of market share in the past than they do now...on the order of 30%. Goes to show that as Nikon grows, it's Sony, not Canon, who is losing out. Makes for strange bedfellows.) And how does Canon having a 17% lead on Nikon mean they are "barely managed to keep their number one position against Nikon"? If the race was neck and neck, 30% vs. 29%, I'd call that "barely holding the lead"...but Canon is solidly in the lead right now. In 2010, Canon still had almost 45% of the market, and Nikon still had around 28-29%, so things have not really changed all that much lately.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.