Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

!Xabbu

dlleno said:
dilbert said:
Yes, today. Imagine the 5D3 had 45MP so that when crop'd to APS-C, it delivered 18MP.

If only it were that simple, though -- just think: The IQ/MP discussion would be moot, MP counts could go arbitrarily high and still meet IQ/ISO goals, pixel density wouldn't matter and the 7D2 could be a FF -- oh wait but if that were possible, then Canon could raise the pixel density even higher in a crop sensor and still win the large print contest over a cropped FF image producing the same FOV

And we shouldn't even think about the price point. A 5D3 with 45MP, 14 FPS and 61-point AF would probably be priced well above $10K...

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
!Xabbu said:
And we shouldn't even think about the price point. A 5D3 with 45MP, 14 FPS and 61-point AF would probably be priced well above $10K...

where can I order one :eek: :eek: :eek:

Send me the money, Brian. I'll take care of everything.

You want overnight shipping on that?

Upvote 0
S

stabmasterasron

My two cents (for what it's worth) - we will have at least a 7dmkii announcement before Christmas. What is this based on - nothing, just hoping. I want a 7D type camera, but can wait 6 months if I can get a next gen version (cue the haters telling me not to wait - take pics now - don't worry I can rent the 7D as often as I want). Don't know if there will be a 7dmkii, but even the 70D will likely have better iso performance and good enough frame rates. I know I am mixing together lots of unannounced equipment - go ahead and flame.

Upvote 0
I'd suggest the weight of evidence does suggest a 7D2 this calendar year. if you look at the product life cycle history, you'll see that except for the 1Ds3, the 7D has been out as long or longer than any other camera body in all of Canon DSLR history, without being updated. Allowing for Tsunami delays, and the market drive to update crop cameras more often (witness Rebels and xxD) I'd say we're over due for a new 7D and Canon's silence on this topic suggests to me that they have something up their sleeve.

Just on the basis of its original intro (premium prosumer crop/wildlife) the 7D has been very succesful and would be due for an update without any change in its market positioning -- and this is without regards to all of the noise about a possible 1.6x pro level wildlife body to replace the 1D4 if 1.3x is dead. If 1.3 is really dead, then if you ask me that puts upward pressure on the capability set of the 7D2

Upvote 0
D

D_Rochat

dlleno said:
I'd suggest the weight of evidence does suggest a 7D2 this calendar year. if you look at the product life cycle history, you'll see that except for the 1Ds3, the 7D has been out as long or longer than any other camera body in all of Canon DSLR history

The 5D mark II was out longer as well. Even if there is an announcement for a 7D replacement this calendar year, it could be 2013 before we see it hit shelves. It's all speculation at this point and no one can say for sure.

Upvote 0
respectfully disagree, which is of course the point of sharing rumors and engaging in reasonable speculation. I would just point out that speculation based on product lifecycle histories and the competitive landscape does have some interest, at least greater interest than nothing. Its true 7D has no predicessor but neither did any of the other bodies when they were first introduced and none of those, except the 1Ds3, has enjoyed a signigicantly longer "life before update" than the current 7D. Additional evidence that the 7D may be updated soon is that it's sensor is behind the competitive state-of-the-art and yet it represents the best Canon has to offer in a 1.6.

It will be interesting to see what market the 7D stays aimed at; presently 7D is in the same camp as the 5D (as regards life cycle) and differentiated from the xxD and rebels which typically turn over much more frequently.

Upvote 0
But this discussion is already on PAGE 27!
Clearly there is a lot of interest in keeping alive and fresh a magnesium body with great AF for sports, and with microfocus adjustment ability. Don't know the number, but I have not seen many posts with 27 pages (AND COUNTING!) of comments. Not even for a new real camera. Certainly not this many posts for a completely non-existant camera.

Who knows the stats/record on most replies posted? Neuro?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I want to believe. I want to believe.

Seriously, there are a few things that lead me to believe we will see a 7DII in the next six months.

1) Canon cannot keep recycling the same 18mp sensor forever. It would be unusual for Canon to put a new sensor in a Rebel first, but even if they do that, it puts a lot of pressure on them to upgrade the 7D sensor. I can't see them leaving the same sensor in the 7D for another year if they upgrade the Rebel or the 60D Super Rebel.

2) Photokina is traditionally a consumer show. I believe Canon will want something to showcase at Photokina and a new 7DII seems a good bet.

3) The 7D may be getting a little long in the tooth, but it's still clearly their top crop camera. Not so with Nikon's D300s, which is looking even more dated these days. Competitive pressure is heavy on Nikon and I can't see Canon letting Nikon refresh the D300s without offering an upgraded 7DII.

4) Canon still has to satisfy the APS-H shooters who lost their beloved 1.3 crop. A 1.6 7DII with image quality equal to the old 1D IV is very doable and would address the concerns of sport and wildlife shooters who want more reach.

Wishful thinking? A little. But not totally divorced from reality.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
I want to believe. I want to believe.

Seriously, there are a few things that lead me to believe we will see a 7DII in the next six months.

<reasonable stuff>
4) Canon still has to satisfy the APS-H shooters who lost their beloved 1.3 crop. A 1.6 7DII with image quality equal to the old 1D IV is very doable and would address the concerns of sport and wildlife shooters who want more reach.

valid point, and that would interest me as well, if priced accordingly (a serious 1.6x body under $2,500 should be doable, as long as we're wishing!) . I'm not quite as strong on this angle though, mainly because I haven't yet seen the proof that 1.3x is going away. I agree that there is weight of evidence, but all we know is that 1D and 1DS are merging. that doesn't necessasrily mean 1.3x is going away, or that a $5K 1D5 won't ever happen. But I acknowledge that there are indications that Canon may head that way, and if so that would certainly put the upward pressure on the capability set of the 7D2!
Wishful thinking? A little. But not totally divorced from reality.

agreed on all three counts!

Upvote 0
S

stabmasterasron

I can't see the 7D line being killed off. Clearly it is the camera pros use when they need the extra reach. And I think Canon has a pretty strong history of supporting pro fotogs.

I was walking around an event yesterday and saw at least 3 people carrying both a 5 series and the 7D. Anecdotal I know - but almost every place I see fotogs gathered together - there will be a few 7D's. 7D has high demand - I just don't see Canon dropping this line. Doesn't make sense.

And if the 7D is killed off, there will only be one camera between the Rebels and the full frames (60D or maybe 70D). This also doesn't make sense. There will be a hole in the crop line that I am sure Nikon will take advantage of.

For every reason I can think of, a 7Dmkii makes a lot of sense. I say Photonica 2012. On shelves by Christmas 2012.

Upvote 0
stabmasterasron said:
I can't see the 7D line being killed off. Clearly it is the camera pros use when they need the extra reach. And I think Canon has a pretty strong history of supporting pro fotogs.

I can't see 7D being killed off either, but for different reasons. As briansquibb has rightly pointed out, the 7D (in its present form) is not aimed at the pro wildlife photographers, as this need is currently being fulfilled by the 1.3x crop 1D4.

7D is certainly positioned (currently) as the premium 1.6x crop, in addition to the other two lines, xxD and Rebel. It has been arguably very succesful for prosumers, but it doesn't have the feature set required for a truely pro level wildlife body. given the choice, I would gladly take a 1D4 over a 7D :D
I was walking around an event yesterday and saw at least 3 people carrying both a 5 series and the 7D. Anecdotal I know - but almost every place I see fotogs gathered together - there will be a few 7D's. 7D has high demand - I just don't see Canon dropping this line. Doesn't make sense.

yes indeeed, and some may even suggest 7D is wildly succesful, not to mention a great compliment to the 5Ds. But I would only point out that neither of these are truly the top, pro/flagship bodies -- designations fulfilled by the FF 1Ds and the 1.3x 1D4.
And if the 7D is killed off, there will only be one camera between the Rebels and the full frames (60D or maybe 70D). This also doesn't make sense. There will be a hole in the crop line that I am sure Nikon will take advantage of.

well -- don't forget 1D4, which is still alive, although yes I agree the weight of evidence puts the future of the 1.3x crop body in question. With or without the 1.3x in the picture, 7D has a strong future imho even if it remains as a prosumer 1.6x crop body, which it is today, and this would likely remain the case even if Canon pulls a fast one and introduces a new 1.3x body with somethign besides a "1" in the name.
For every reason I can think of, a 7Dmkii makes a lot of sense. I say Photonica 2012. On shelves by Christmas 2012.

no argument there! I hope you are right

Upvote 0
dlleno said:
It has been arguably very succesful for prosumers, but it doesn't have the feature set required for a truely pro level wildlife body. given the choice, I would gladly take a 1D4 over a 7D :D

And herein lies the problem with the 7D:
It's not a true pro camera that appeals to pros and commands a higher price.
At the same time, it's a bit pricey for consumers, compared to the very competent D7000, for example.

So, the 7D market right now is mostly consumers willing to pay a premium.
This market is limited, though, and if Canon had a D7000-equivalent, it would all but disappear.
This is exactly what happened with the D300s market after Nikon released the D7000.

Looking forward, Canon either needs to make the 7DII a true pro body or move the 7DII downmarket.

These days all pro cameras are FF, so making the 7DII a true pro body means making it a FF camera.
If this happens, it's unlikely that the 7D moniker will be kept, though.
And if moved downmarket, the 7DII won't be called 7D either, since the next level down is the xxD series.

So, there you have it.
The 7DII will either be a FF camera (unlikely) or it won't be called the 7DII but the 70D.

Upvote 0
x-vision said:
So, there you have it.
The 7DII will either be a FF camera (unlikely) or it won't be called the 7DII but the 70D.

interesting analysis. Still, the 7D can "put more pixels on the subject" and produce better IQ than the 5D at distance limited situations with the same lens and the cropped for the same FOV. So if the 1.3x really goes away, then Canon will have abandoned the pro wildlife niche, in which case the argument would be stronger for a pro-level crop body. In that case it probably wouldn't be called a 7D2 but a 3D!

but keeping the 7D in the 1.6x prosumer space has been wildly succesful so I would'nt expect Canon to merge 7D and 70D lines if they believe the market will bear it

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.