Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

mcfrlnd

EOS R5 & 5D MK IV
Sep 13, 2019
I've said $3499 for some time and I believe CR Guy was in some general agreement with me.

All of that makes sense for what is shaping up to be a mirrorless 5D5.

...but those video specs are just insane and disproportionate to what we expect at that price point.

- A
I'm of the same mind...$3500. I'm also banking on their pronouncement of being aggressive in the market...crossing my fingers!
That CFE card is going to fill up quick with 8K :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
5D2 launched at $2700. I specifically heard $4,000 too as he was going through the history of groundbreaking EOS releases and thought it was odd he called out that price point. As if it was an Easter egg on the R5 price :)

My mistake, I thought he was talking about that price in relation to an older launch, I probably misheard tho because my eyes were falling out of my head reading the specs on the screen at the time! :LOL:

Upvote 0
This sounds almost too good to be true. The last Canon body I purchased was a 5D3 in 2012, so I'm itching for something new, especially as a mirrorless hybrid shooter.

I'm going to guess this camera comes in at a minimum of $4,500. The 5D3 and 5D4 both came in at $3,500, so an extra $1,000 isn't too unreasonable for the specs and tech they're cramming into a mirrorless body. Of course, my mind will be blown if the release the R5 at the standard $3,500 or less.

My only concern is on the video side. I haven't done any work using HEVC/H.265. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only camera in recent memory I can recall using the codec was the Samsung NX1. How does this codec compare compared to MotionJPEG of the 5D4? Will it require transcoding to ProRes or DnX or the use of proxies for efficient video editing? Can most computers handle it well?
I wish people in here would saying they think a higher price is reasonable. Why give their marketing department any ideas. ?

Upvote 0

ddixon

CR Pro
Apr 26, 2018
Plus the release date

1. I hope it still records audio in the 4k high frame rate modes
2. I hope they realize that would probably sell twice as many if they keep it to $3500-$3999 as opposed to $4500 to $5999. They can make up the difference on R lenses...
3. I hope it has DR and low light ability at least a touch better than the 5d4
4. I hope it does have at least 40mp
5. I hope the long teasing PR campaign is not to build up anticipation so that we don't care about disappointments in some of my 1. thru 4. list...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Am I crazy or does this potentially eat into some C500 sales? If you're looking for FF 4k 60fps clog 10bit 422, your only option was to go with the full $16k C500 m2 beast. This would be an option at 1/4 the price that loses some features people may be willing to part with considering the savings...
C-Log is not the same as C-Log 2, C-Log 3 or RAW, different codecs (H.265 is very demanding), different handling with built-in ND, rolling shutter, battery life, different mount, etc.
In short, they are different.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Well.... so they told plenty about video capabilities, but basically nothing about still photos... strange...

Also I'm curious to know if HD-video goes beyond 120fps while DPAF. And naturally price would be nice to know.

So really they didn't tell anything we didn't know yet, just confirmed what we knew.

Well this was part of what was supposed to be NAB this week. So makes sense they would hype up the video specs here. Stills to come later.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Why so tease-y, so cagey at this relatively late hour? Are they worried about being scooped with an A7 IV or something?

String a few announcements together for more PR and keep people excited. They probably don't actually have a set release date yet either as there is no real reason to release right now. Try build up inventory and release when it will make the most bang.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
I'm putting my Sony gear up for sale and switching back to Canon inshaAllah! I sold my 5D3 and lenses last year and jumped on the Sony train because I just couldn't get what I wanted from Canon... BUT THIS IS GOLD!
Wow, talk about pissing your money away! What happens when Sony or someone else beats Canon’s R5 specs? LCD 1mm larger, e.g. Toss it all again until someone goes 2mm larger?

• Haha
Upvote 0
This is all spectacular of course, but I find it most interesting that the sensor resolution specs are still not included. I worked for Canon so I know better than most that practicality is a big consideration for Canon. They are likely testing different sensors and processors to see what works best. My guess is that they’re going to have an 8K sensor or an 8K DCI sensor which equals about 33 or 35 megapixels. An 8K sensor means less processing and easier to achieve all the spectacular specs. Everyone should remember that the 5 series cameras are the Swiss Army knives. It is not supposed to be the high-resolution camera, it’s supposed to be a bit of everything.
I believe the asterisk is for DCI

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
This sounds almost too good to be true. The last Canon body I purchased was a 5D3 in 2012, so I'm itching for something new, especially as a mirrorless hybrid shooter.

I'm going to guess this camera comes in at a minimum of $4,500. The 5D3 and 5D4 both came in at $3,500, so an extra $1,000 isn't too unreasonable for the specs and tech they're cramming into a mirrorless body. Of course, my mind will be blown if the release the R5 at the standard $3,500 or less.

My only concern is on the video side. I haven't done any work using HEVC/H.265. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only camera in recent memory I can recall using the codec was the Samsung NX1. How does this codec compare compared to MotionJPEG of the 5D4? Will it require transcoding to ProRes or DnX or the use of proxies for efficient video editing? Can most computers handle it well?
You can check out some 1DX III reviews, it is the same codec as in that camera, and yes, it is very demanding even at 4K, let alone 8K. (But of course it will be easier with further hardware developments)

Upvote 0