Canon Announces the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
hne said:
aceflibble said:
If you had a 35mm body there would be more of a difference but then you wouldn't be looking at 85mm lenses anyway.

Your text almost made sense until this sentence. Then I stopped reading and just skimmed through the rest.

Have you actually tried an 85mm lens on a 35mm body?

It is my second most used combination after the 35. This combination of focal lengths is a true classic. It is so asked for that Fuji makes two odd focal length, large aperture primes 23/1.4 and 56/1.2. Yet no 33mm (true 50 equivalent), 89 (135) or 132 (200).

Back in my 35mm film days, the Canon 85mm lens was my favorite all-around lens. I also used the 28mm a lot, and I had a very good 200mm Canon, though I didn't take telephoto pictures as much. I found when I traveled, taking those three lenses worked well for just about anything I would shoot. Of course having just those three lenses along meant my brain likely saw things and got ideas for photos in light of the tools at hand. The 55mm f/1.2 was a really nice lens, so I would use it on occasion when I was around all my gear. I liked the look it gave in certain circumstances.

For my Rebel, I got the 50mm f/1.4 to do much of what I used the 85mm for in the past. My normal kit lens zooms in to 55mm, but opens up only to f/5.6 at that focal length.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Viggo said:
Bryan has analyzed and compared MTF, and he seems to think the sharpness will match the Art.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-85mm-f-1.4L-IS-USM-Lens.aspx

I see that he claims that, but as far as I can tell the mtf of the Sigma is quite a bit better than the new Canon. It is a little hard to tell because the Sigma mtf only shows f1.4 at 10 and 30 lines per mm, while Canon mtf shows both f1.4 (black lines) at 10 and 30 lpmm and f8 (blue lines) at 10 and 30lpmm. If you ignore the blue lines when comparing you will see that the Sigma is better.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
MTF (marketing) lines comparison science just been taken to the whole new level. Wow, let's claim thats new Canon better than Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 as mtf lines of Sigmotus 85 are even bett r than Ones of Zeiss

Yeah, Zeiss and Sigmotus 85 with huge 86mm front elements are surely optically overbuilt.

I will hazard the claim that Canon will be better than Sigma 85 in CA department and overall rendering, bokeh somewhat.

There is no way that new Canon will be sharper in mid frame and corners, Pay attention to vignetting levels wide open and that steep drop of the mtf line in about 15mm away from centre.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Larsskv said:
Viggo said:
Bryan has analyzed and compared MTF, and he seems to think the sharpness will match the Art.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-85mm-f-1.4L-IS-USM-Lens.aspx

I see that he claims that, but as far as I can tell the mtf of the Sigma is quite a bit better than the new Canon. It is a little hard to tell because the Sigma mtf only shows f1.4 at 10 and 30 lines per mm, while Canon mtf shows both f1.4 (black lines) at 10 and 30 lpmm and f8 (blue lines) at 10 and 30lpmm. If you ignore the blue lines when comparing you will see that the Sigma is better.

If I read Brian's explanation correctly, he is saying that Sigma does not show 30 lpmm. He seems to say the 2 Sigma curves are F1.4 at 10 lpmm and F8 at 10 lpmm.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Sigma curves are: Diffraction MTF and Geometrical MTF and both at F1.4 10 and 30 lpmm

p.s. at F8 the Sigmotus 85 curve is plain and boring horisontal line at 1.0 contrast level from corner to corner :D

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_85_14/data/

BillB said:
If I read Brian's explanation correctly, he is saying that Sigma does not show 30 lpmm. He seems to say the 2 Sigma curves are F1.4 at 10 lpmm and F8 at 10 lpmm.

Attachments

• mtf1.gif
    mtf1.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 557
  • geometrical_mtf.gif
    geometrical_mtf.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 567
Upvote 0
mjg79 said:
I think we might be in danger of reading too much into Canon's claim that the new 85L doesn't replace the 1.2 version. It might just be the case that they are saying that while they run down stocks of the old lens.
That's what I'm assuming is the case. I caught wind of the 24-105 mk I being discontinued (replaced by the mk II) 18 months prior to the official public announcement that it was discontinued. In all the time leading up to the announcement of the mk II, Canon said the mk I was still in production (it wasn't, they'd already switched to making the mk II in preparation for that release). After announcement of the mk II they said they were still going to make the mk I for a while (they'd already stopped). By the time they finally told the public the mk I was discontinued it had actually been out of production for a year and a half by my own count, and quite possibly longer than that in truth.

Fuji keep doing it with their bodies, too. And Canon did it with the 1D/Ds/Dx lines. So, yeah, my assumption is they're only saying this isn't replacing the 1.2 for as long as existing 1.2 stock lasts. I can't see them still actually producing new 1.2s once the 1.4 is on shelves.

hne said:
Your text almost made sense until this sentence. Then I stopped reading and just skimmed through the rest.

Have you actually tried an 85mm lens on a 35mm body?
You mean like how I wrote, in this very thread, that I've had both versions of the 85 1.2? And the 1.8? And the Sigma? And the Samyang, the Canon FD 1.2, the Fuji equivalent one, several equivalents for medium format systems... yeah, I've used it.

Viggo said:
"No reason the f1.4 will be sharper at f1.4 than the 1.8 at 1.8" ??

First off, its new, it's an L and it's like 5 times more expensive. It will destroy the 1.8 for both sharpness and CA.
New does not always equal better; the 1.2 mk I is optically better than the mk II, for instance. Being an 'L' doesn't mean it's optically better; there are plenty of L lenses which are total dogs and optically beaten by regular lenses. (The two non-IS 70-200s say hello, as well as the mk I 70-200 2.8 IS, the previous 24-70, both versions of the 24-105 which are optically worse than the cheaper Sigma version, etc.) Being expensive does not guarantee optical quality; they could price the 50mm f/1.8 to three grand, doesn't mean it'd suddenly be on par with a Zeiss.

You're mistaking marketing for technical build. All the 'L' means is that the lens requires more complicated manufacturing than typical; it has absolutely nothing to do with optical quality, although that frequently happens to be coincidentally along for the ride. (e.g. It's been long-rumoured that Canon has frequently thought about relaunching the 100mm f/2 as an 'L' lens just by adding minimal weather sealing, without touching the optical quality or focusing; it's expected the new TS-E 90mm will also be along these lines as the non-L TS-E 90mm is already Canon's 2nd-best-resolving lens.) That complication of course also results in a higher price tag. That's really all there is to it. Just because something is expensive and has a red line drawn on it doesn't mean it's mechanically better, just mechanically more advanced. That advancement can—and most usually does—take form as features such as weather sealing, IS, closer focusing distances, and faster or more accurate auto focus. Those things may aid you in getting better pictures as a matter of utility, but they suggest nothing of the raw optical quality of any given lens. If you take a non-L lens and put IS in it and a rubber gasket around the mount, you've got yourself an L lens you can charge 3x as much for, without having touched the optic quality.

As it so happens, the existing Canon 85mm f/1.8 is an unusually well-corrected lens. It has the same resolving power as the 1.2 mk II but with less aberration. In order to beat that kind of resolving power, Sigma have had to make a radically different design. The new Canon isn't that much of a departure from the existing Canon lenses. If one company can only make a marked improvement in actual image quality by shifting the fundamental design greatly, then it stands to reason that another company sticking with more-or-less the same design isn't going to see the same jump in optical quality.

Which is not to say that it's utterly impossible for the new Canon to surpass the older lenses. (Actually, it'd be shocking if it didn't at least beat the 1.2.) But it's not guaranteed and people should be waiting before actual testing is completed, before they throw down their money on a pre-order.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
aceflibble said:
Which is not to say that it's utterly impossible for the new Canon to surpass the older lenses. (Actually, it'd be shocking if it didn't at least beat the 1.2.) But it's not guaranteed and people should be waiting before actual testing is completed, before they throw down their money on a pre-order.

That was EXACTLY what was going through my head...only thing is to wait for test results to come in.

From examining what is currently available, I expect maybe a *slight* sharpness improvement over the 85 1.8 (hopefully with the fringing issue addressed) below f/2...and maybe slightly softer performance at f/4 and beyond. f/2.8 will be the ??? though...I'm willing to give up a bit of the center crispness for better mid-frame performance but don't know if this lens was designed in that manner or not.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
please review the image attached. 30 lpmm mid-frame performance area marked with bold red vertical line.
observations:
pronounced astigmatism. rapidly declining 30 lpmm mtf line (13mm and further away from centre) , flatlining where it should continue smooth decline. we need more data to draw the conclusion on.
the data I am looking for: Lensrentals OLAF testing, Dustin Abbott, The Digital picture, Lenstip

Act444 said:
...I'm willing to give up a bit of the center crispness for better mid-frame performance but don't know if this lens was designed in that manner or not.

Attachments

• mtf.gif
    mtf.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 527
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
SecureGSM said:
please review the image attached. 30 lpmm mid-frame performance area marked with bold red vertical line.
observations:
pronounced astigmatism. rapidly declining 30 lpmm mtf line (13mm and further away from centre) , flatlining where it should continue smooth decline. we need more data to draw the conclusion on.
the data I am looking for: Lensrentals OLAF testing, Dustin Abbott, The Digital picture, Lenstip

Act444 said:
...I'm willing to give up a bit of the center crispness for better mid-frame performance but don't know if this lens was designed in that manner or not.

Are you sure that the red line indicates mid frame performance? The sensor is 36mm wide in total. Shouldn't the edge of the sensor be 36/2=18mm away from the center, or did I miss something?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
All this talk about MTF charts and hypothetical center sharpness, pop, vignetting, corner sharpness, Sigma, Ziess, red ring vs no red ring, etc.... Even a reference to Brian C. and his opinion (even comparison to another lens) concerning a lens he hasn't even shot yet.

Where's the emoji eating popcorn? ::)

Gonna go get a tarot card reading now. I'll see what Madam Silvia says about it all.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
you are on rumors forum. you know.. predictions, opinions and more opinions... :)

here is a simple one for you: the new Canon lens will sell very well in coming years as the old F1.2 lens resolving power will continue disappointing on new generation high resolution bodies i.e. 5DsR, 5DsR II. etc ;)

CanonFanBoy said:
All this talk about MTF charts and hypothetical center sharpness, pop, vignetting, corner sharpness, Sigma, Ziess, red ring vs no red ring, etc.... Even a reference to Brian C. and his opinion (even comparison to another lens) concerning a lens he hasn't even shot yet.

Where's the emoji eating popcorn? ::)

Gonna go get a tarot card reading now. I'll see what Madam Silvia says about it all.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Viggo said:
BeenThere said:
Maybe this thread is finally burning itself out until we have some actual lens test information. ‍♂️

Speaking of which, why aren't there any more info? The D850 has lots and lots of info around and first impressions, but nothing about the 85, except from Canon.

I don't think there are production samples available yet. Or if there are, the people in possession are still under embargo.

Upvote 0
Ryananthony said:
CanonFanBoy said:
I'm 99.9999% sure this will be a great lens. However, pre-order nothing.

Agreed.

Same here. But, I'll order quickly if the initial reviews are positive. If this is of similar quality to the EF 35mm f/1.4L Mk II as I expect it will be, it will be a terrific lens.

Upvote 0